Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • RANT: Shut means shut!!!
  • IdleJon

antigee – Member
    of course the owner of the land has a duty of care and by having trails laid out is inviting you to use them, hence the liability – has no way of knowing if you are any good at knowing what your ability is in poor conditions so centres get shut to avoid a liability

So using your reasoning, they should shut the trails in the hottest part of the summer just in case people venture on to them without adequate water and then become dehydrated?

bananaworld
    Free Member

all the squirrels have gone into hibernation so they cant ask them

Maybe they could ask the squirrels cos squirrels don't hibernate.

Good ol' squirrels, you can always rely on them.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

people still go hillwalking at this time of year….. if your not willing to accept the danger's dont go. Simples.

antigee

How would you discriminate?

trackie wearing soft top wearing lot

easy

antigee

So using your reasoning, they should shut the trails in the hottest part of the summer just in case people venture on to them without adequate water and then become dehydrated?

expect to see a sign near you soon 😉

phiiiiil

so centres get shut to avoid a liability

Does the act of shutting the place not place liability on the owners at all other times as well? If I wait for it to reopen then crash on an icy bit what's to stop me complaining that because it was open it should have been safe?

(cf the "supermarkets not gritting their car parks" argument)

genesis
    Free Member

Not as daft a suggestion as you'd think, have to treat a few casualties during the summer suffering the effects of heat and dehydration!

antigee

If I wait for it to reopen then crash on an icy bit what's to stop me complaining that because it was open it should have been safe?

nothing

roddersrambler
    Free Member

Just announce it's shut,turn a blind eye.You can't do anymore unless you put up a 10' perimeter fence.Not sure what a forum rant will achieve.
    Are you not shut on a monday ? Do you have a rant about people riding over from the Ponderosa on a monday ?

genesis
    Free Member

Could never officially do that 😉 plus you weren't the one getting his ears bent by one of the neigbours this morning!

and I've had some rather nice wine with my dinner 🙂

project
    Free Member

Why not try the alternative centre,turn off the main road and past the water works as if youre going to LLandegla,
    then go past the main entrance,to the end of this road,turn right,follow road down hill,then turn left,at junction,follow road for a few miles and then turn left,after the lake on right hand side,then take next right and right again.

Enjoy the ride.

Northwind

"Scottish centres all have more snow that any centre in Wales and none of them are shut…"

Scottish people have enough sense not to try and ride things when they're under snow and ice, mostly. But we're talking about Wales here 😉

roddersrambler
    Free Member

Nah,only appeal to me is the cafe and the bike wash.The trails are good,but not my cup of tea.Much prefer the natural stuff further out.
    So i tend to park and give you my money and bugger off away from the trails.
    So no facilities = no show from me 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

They probably cant be arsed to grit the road leading up to the trail centre (Llandegla) or grit the carpark either, if the truth be known…it all has to be done by hand (well with shovels)! 🙄

genesis
    Free Member

a – that's the council's responsibility and
    b – that's Tillhill's shout, salt apparently dissolves the limestone (no I don't know, I'm just a minion its what I've been told).

JohnClimber
    Free Member

EDIT – because I didn't read the last post, sorry

Sandwich

Mrmo the HSE does acknowledge common sense suggest you go to their website and read some of the H&S Myths.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You really should know better Mr J-E.Drink more wine…and hope they all die….Soon.

genesis
    Free Member

Sorry, *burp*

Rorschach
    Free Member

Not stw members of course……..

project
    Free Member

Genesis,Salt disolves sandstone,

Best to duck when you see those flying welsh pigs then,theyre black and only fly at night.

genesis
    Free Member

of course not, scummers however…..

Rorschach
    Free Member

Blah blah blah (insert offensive term) blah blah blah (derogatory insiders joke) blah blah blah (misanthropic generalisation) blah blah blah.Merry Chrapmas.You get the drift youth….

mrmo
    Free Member

Mrmo the HSE does acknowledge common sense suggest you go to their website and read some of the H&S Myths.

I know the HSE do give some slack, but there seems to be a belief that they don't and everything is overkill. If in doubt ban it.

numbnuts
    Free Member

Just wondering
    Why would anyone want to ride on a sheet of ice anyway. Snow yes great fun and doesnt hurt when you fall on it but ice that bloody hurts and is impossible to corner on. I do seem to remember the marin being shut last winter people ignoring the sighns and hearing several stories of broken hips and arms. The trails at llandegla are far better when they are dry and dusty in the summer go ride somewhere else and just wait
    p.s Had a great day at coed y Brenin today no snow or ice only sketchy bit was the drive home.

radoggair
    Free Member

project – Member
    So you go up to LLandegla and then fall off,youre on your own,and cant move,you phone an ambulance,if you can get a signal,its difficult in some parts,the Ambulance service send an Ambulance there.
    They cant get up the hill,no 4 wheel drive with snow chains in North Wales,so youre now getting colder,its going dark,meanwhile the ambulance crew may be loking for you,they have little local knowledge of the forest,all the squirrels have gone into hibernation so they cant ask them,(youre getting colder and colder),the staff of Llandegla are not there either,watching mtb videos at home.

The crew make their way slowly up the hill,and while theyre on their way up, theyre thinking how are we going to transport the guy down,cant get the helicopter as they cant park it,(and youre getting colder),eventually they find you,tell you youre a stupid prat,youve not only endangered your life,and the crews lives, youve tied up a lot of resourses and stopped an ambulance getting to a heart attack victim.(if only they could say what they think)
    Then becomes the fun of them getting you down the hill.Youre now possibly suffering hypothermia, and so are the ambulance crew.

HAPPY NOW.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

So your at home eating all the food, its too snowy or icy to go out biking, before you know it you've spent a week at home constantly eating and getting fat. You read obesity adverts and watch the usual fat people getting tummy tuck shows but you ignore those warnings and continue eating. Before you know it, eating has become obsessive and you give up biking. Your getting fatter and fatter and still ignoring warnings that eating unhealthily is bad for you until 1 day you have a heart attack. PAramedics rush to your aid knowing that this is your own fault and ignored all the warnings.

Meanwhile, over in a local trailcentre, the conditions are dry and perfect and a talented mountain biker ( that may be you) is riding the trails like a god yet still cautiously. Out of no where a squirrel awakens from 'hibernation', falls on to this bikers head, causing him to crash and seriously hurt themselves. A quick phone call to 999 through a fully signalled phone line sends out the local ambulance only to be told that the closest 1 available has just been dispatched to a person having a 'heart attack'and the biker dies

If only he continued biking

Are you HAPPY NOW !!!!!!!!1

Suggsey
    Free Member

To be honest if the roads are that icy anyway along with the trails you wont get me driving for a couple of hours to fall off on slick ice and snap a bone-at my age it takes too long to heal. Now if I was a local rider riding some of the local bridleways and they werent too slippy (bet the boardwalk is interesting with ice on the grip tape coming over from the far end of the masts descent) then different. Its what you are used to an comfortable with. Ice on the roads and bikes for me dont mix after examining it close up on more than one occasion has turned me into a cautios Jessie.

Goz
    Free Member

just ride the natural stuff, keep away from the kitty litter..

Trekster

For the main seasoned mtbers have an apprecitaion of the consequences of being out in the winter,

How do you become a "seasoned rider" ❓

Northwind – Member
    "Scottish centres all have more snow that any centre in Wales and none of them are shut…"

Scottish people have enough sense not to try and ride things when they're under snow and ice, mostly. But we're talking about Wales here
    😆 😆 😆 😆
    have you had a look at the picture threads, or the where did you ride today threads ❓

devs
    Free Member

Scottish people have enough sense not to try and ride things when they're under snow and ice, mostly.

I would wager that Scottish people are just better at it or do it more often so are prepared to buy the required kit. I'm rapidly catching up on last winter's 17 snowy rides. -6 and blizzarding now. No thaw forecast until I go to Austria on 9th Jan. You've got to do something to keep fit! My pals are all supposed to be doing Laggan tomorrow. I'm busy unfortunately but I'm also glad because over a foot of snow is too much IMHO.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depressing that people are now telling us that we're not capable of making decisions about our own safety. Or that we shouldn't do things because there's no-one there to save us. All too often things are "shut" when all that's needed is common sense and they can remain open. Landowner obviously has the final say, but at the end of the day providing people know the risks and don't block places with parking then it's their own doing. I've spent most of my youth riding footpaths and trails, alone, at night. By most people's "common sense" those would be no-no's. I'm glad I'm not most people, and I'm glad there are others like me out there.

Scottish people have enough sense not to try and ride things when they're under snow and ice, mostly.

What utter tripe, I see nearly as many people on the trails in the snow/ice/blizzards as I do on normal rainy days up here. Fortunately most scottish people realise that "bad" weather doesn't mean the world comes to a halt, and usually means there's more fun to be had than in "good" weather.

nickhart
    Free Member

this is funny. genesis is right but i think what he should have said was. llandegla is SHUT, deal with it, go and buy a map and do some exploring while it's SHUT and learn some new routes. you know old skool stylee!
    and i seem to think it's the coast guard helicopters that have the winches, last time i was at llandegla it was pretty wet but not coastal!

dasnut
    Free Member

you lot really are a load of sanctimonius old gits, and may I say its getting worse by the year.

To summarize, llandegla, as managed by Tilhill, is shut. the car park, shut. The trials, shut.
    The bridleway through the middle is open.

I rode llandegla in the ice last year, wasn't the best ride ever.

Some of you seem to think that riding in extreme weather conditions makes you better bikers. I beg to differ.

genesis
    Free Member

drunken rant apologies…..

its basically like the last 2 posters say 😳

oldgit
    Free Member

I'd like to put this in context (if that's the right word)with the fall in the car park post a little while ago.
    The conclusion of that, was the owners were bang to rights. So I assume it would be the trail owners fault if there was an accident going by the legal bods on here replies to the car park incident 😐
    And that's exactly why the Duke of Bedford wont officialy open any trails in Woburn

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do not see how the landowners could be liable for anything.

oldgit
    Free Member

Nor do I TJ. Though I think problems arrise if the landowners have for example sanctioned trails or waymarked routes, and therefore beckoning people onto those trails. It only takes a muppet to fall and look for blame.
    Genesis's common sense thing I understand

project
    Free Member

Radogir Nice thoughts.

antigee

I do not see how the landowners could be liable for anything

as oldgit said once you start encouraging/providing facilities for the activity in some way then i think the legal term (south of the border!) is "entreatment" – you then have a duty of care to people using the facility and have to take reasonable precautions to ensure their safety

not a legal bod but in the 80's did a lot of work on behalf of the BMC British (but excludes Scotland) Mountaineering Council with HSE on guidance for climbing wall management – think the situation is similar to trail centres that is natural crag turn up and climb is of your own volition ditto a bridleway across a moor but signing a route implies responsibility – to be honest i've found it surprising that trail centres don't ask riders to sign a disclaimer and or claim a basic level of competence – which I guess is a good thing

project
    Free Member

LLANDGELA shut till after the new year,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8436375.stm

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘RANT: Shut means shut!!!’ is closed to new replies.