Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Rant du jour
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

In the spirit of fairness – our bin men will take away large white plastic bags (the ones from our internal bin) of rubbish and not expect us to double bag the rubbish just so it is in a council-supplied bag.

(Harrogate Council also still use the old style small bins – no wheelie bins for us)

Harry_the_Spider

We have a council supplied compost bin as part of an environmental study (hows that for eco-friendy eh? you sanctimonious pricks – I like that phrase and will use it on the wife when I get home). We also have a "chipped" brown bin that we don't need as all the green waste goes in the composter.

However, as we have moved house and taken our composter with us we will no doubt end up on the naughty boys list as there will be no record of us using the brown bin. We don't put that much in the blue bin either, so it only gets emptied every 3 months. With the grey bin not being emptied twice in 6 weeks as well they probably think I'm burying the rubbish. Perhaps they'll send round the enviro-rozzers as they suspect i'm running my own land fill site.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cardiff tip is ace. You park up high above a massive skip, and you get to fling your stuff waay in the air to land right at the back.. the aim is to get it to break or smash something else, or at least to get it to make a big noise.

terrahawk
    Free Member

and further in the spirit of fairness we gradually disposed of an entire brick fireplace over the course of 5 weeks by placing the rubble in the grey bin.

They emptied it each time (despite it being extremely heavy). Then a couple of weeks later we rang them as our wheelie bin developed a couple of 'faults' (a big hole and a cracked wheel) and they replaced it no problems.

molgrips
    Free Member

They really aren't being sanctimonious though.. sounds like an incompetent attemt to meet their govt obligations.

Keva
    Free Member

The bin men refused to empty my bin once, about ten years ago now. I was redecorating and had chiseled loads of the old plaster off the wall and dumped it in the wheelie bin. When the truck came around to empty all the bins they left mine out so I phoned the council asking why. They told me it was full of rubble and they won't empty it as it's for domestic refuse only. I replied it was domestic refuse from inside house, not outside and also told them it was plaster and not rubble. I was then told that it was too heavy to move so it couldn't be emptied anyway. I then told them I had moved it quite easily from the back of the house to the front ready for collection, twice the distance it has to moved from the front of the house to the truck, I'm only 5'4" and weigh 9 stone – your bin men must be weaklings….

silence.

hang up… bin was emptied the following week.

Harry_the_Spider

The bin men aren't the sanctimonious pricks. People on here are. 🙂

The bin men are something entirley different.

tracknicko
    Free Member

lost the plot here about who's being called a prick and who isnt.

if its me then feel free to **** off.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why should the bin men have to free up the rubbish in the bin by hand? They don't know what level of nastyness is in there

pedalhead
    Free Member

Oh I dunno, in my day the bin men were responsible for…emptying the bins.

Harry_the_Spider

TandemJeremy – Member
    Why should the bin men have to free up the rubbish in the bin by hand? They don't know what level of nastyness is in there

Oh don't you start!

They jammed it by tipping it up! The only way that I could have checked for jammage would have been to tip the bin upside down myself, which would have resulted in the contents of the bin merging with my shoes.

Do check your bin by inverting it prior to putting it in the street?

tracknicko – Member
    lost the plot here about who's being called a prick and who isnt.

if its me then feel free to **** off.
    I hadn't called anybody a sanctimonious prick until quite late in the tread. I left it as an open ended insult that people could decide for themselves whether it applied to them. Therefore, if you don't think it is aimed at you then it isn't.

The phrase was originally used by Derek Starship who is sitting about 40m away from me. I shall ask him on my next voyage to the brew machine.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Indeed, on the logic of the smoking ban, it should be a criminal offence, punishable by incessant nagging and pathetic little men with clipboards to put anything in your bin that you wouldn't feed to a child.

If it isn't fit to eat, or possibly to eat off, it shouldn't be in your bin because the bin-men don't want to have to deal with your refuse.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Pair of heroes then aren't ya.

As i said before. Get over it. I'm sure someone will come along again and empty your bin for you in about a weeks time.

If you're that bothered, go and take it down the tip yourself.

terrahawk
    Free Member

As I've implied already, his bin is nowt compared to mine. And we have the same bin crew.

Dog poo and fireplaces. Now empty it asshole.

hels
    Free Member

While we are on bins, I have recently moved to a house that has them. I generally remember to put the correct one out on the correct day.

But WTF does my neighbour always wheel it back behind the house ? Am I supposed to be grateful for this ? Can't it wait until I get home ? Why why why ?? And why does she never mention it when I see her ??

Mind you it took upstairs neighbours over a year to tell me that I was using their washing line. The green is shared, as are the poles, however I have to tie my own rope up it seems, which I had no idea, and they have been seething with suppressed annoyance for all this time. Sorry if this is an "ism" but I don't understand Poms sometimes. I am from New Zealand we don't have to share gardens there.

Och well they hate me anyway cos my cat uses their garden never mine. I would be embarrassed if it wasn;t kind of funny.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am from New Zealand we don't have to share gardens there.

We don't *have* to here either – only the poor do.

😉

hels
    Free Member

Even poor people don't share gardens in New Zealand, we stole them off the Maoris and are keeping them !

terrahawk
    Free Member

you don't have to share sheep either. I heard.

Anyway, I once put a rotting rat carcass in the bin too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Even poor people don't share gardens in New Zealand, we stole them off the Maoris and are keeping them !

Good point, well made.

derek_starship
    Free Member

As i said before. Get over it. I'm sure someone will come along again and empty your bin for you in about a week's time.

I do believe twas I that first used the sanctimonious pr1ck label.

I've just confirmed this with HtS who passed my desk with a brew.

We also confirmed that tracknico is also a bit biz at English as he's missed out an apostrophe – see above. There – I've made it better for you.

tracknicko
    Free Member

but at least i can spell my own screen name.

think i'll leave this discussion here.

pedalhead
    Free Member

At our last place, the council decided to move to bi-weekly refuse collections. This would have been bad enough, except they also started slapping notices on your bin lid if you dared to have enough rubbish crammed in there so as to raise the lid a few inches….which, with two children in nappies (yes, disposables..hippies control yourselves) was not hard to do. Of course, the amount of rubbish generated doesn't decrease with the number of collections, but the number of trips to the dump…sorry…recycling centre, in my car most certainly do. This country really is completely bonkers.

Harry_the_Spider

This country really is completely bonkers.

Indeed. Terrahawk gets his bin emptied when it is full of turds, dead animals and masonry. Yet I get black listed due to a rogue Pampers box.

I bet these two had a weekly collection.

tracknicko – Member
    but at least i can spell my own screen name.

think i'll leave this discussion here.
    Oh don't. I have checked and my insult wasn't aimed at you.

theotherjonv

The only way that I could have checked for jammage would have been to tip the bin upside down myself, which would have resulted in the contents of the bin merging with my shoes.

Or not in this case, otherwise this post would have been about 0.000001% as interesting as it has been.

It's a bit like the old style 'trial by fire' isn't it? The only way to find out if your bin is acceptable for emptying is to empty it yourself first.

CountZero

I honestly fail to understand the principle of fortnightly collections. It's said that it's to encourage recycling, but the bin concerned is the one for non-recycleable waste; if it's non-recycleable, then how the **** is collecting fortnightly rather than weekly going to encourage recycling? It's non-****-recyclable, for Chris'sake!
    And our council gives us a box for recycling; magazines, paper, tins and bottles. Not cardboard or plastic, two of the most obvious things for recycling.

Pigface
    Free Member

Genius thread 😆 highly entertaining, personal insults, random weirdness and Fred West makes a special gues appearence, even managed to visit the southern hemisphere.

Excellent work :mrgreen:

molgrips
    Free Member

+1 Pigface. Highly enjoyable and eloquent all round. Sanctimonious pricks.

NZCol

We have to pay for council bin bags – $11 i think for 5, you can rent wheelie bins privately. I rang the council to ask them about the recycling bin you can buy
    Me: so where does all the recycling go
    council: to the recycling depots around the area
    Me: so then its all kept onshore and recycled
    council: erm no not quite
    Me: in what way ?
    council guy: I'm not actually supposed to tell you this bit but a lot of it is mixed back together and sent to China.
    Me: for recycling ?
    council: *laughs* nah mate it gets chucked in landfill

W.T.F. mental.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have been thinking about this all day. Simply throw away an anvil at the start of every week. That way, nothing will ever get stuck in your bin, and the bin men will think you are wonderful.

Happy to help.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Our bin folk are ace. We 'rent' a larger bin cos of two kids etc. And most weeks it's packed so solid I'm surprised the automatic doobry thing can lift it to tip it out.
    But, the frigin postie – now they're having a laugh…
    We have a mailbox out on the street (on a wide verge if you like), and if they can't drive up to it and shove the mail in without getting out of the car we don't get it. What's more if it's pissing with rain then they delight in not pushing it all the way in.
    I can cope with this, the only mail I get now is bills (the other half gets the parcels etc), but the feckers have started to wheel spin away leaving huge ruts in the ground.
    I'm tempted to take issue, but then my mail could disappear. Other option is to dig the ruts proper deep as they're using some soft-roader 2wd nonsense to deliver (better mailbox:car-height ratio I think), that'd sort them…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Why not just torch the offending bin in question? I'm sure it'll burn well, and dispose of the offending rubbish in a way that means it won't make it's way to a landfill, which can only be good for the environment in the long term.

molgrips
    Free Member

I honestly fail to understand the principle of fortnightly collections

Well the thing is that a lot of people are throwing recyclable stuff away because they can't be bothered to rinse stuff out or they just don't care. So fortnightly collections would save a lot of your council tax money for something else and also might encourage people to be more careful.

Our family of three has about two tescos carrier bags of non recyc a week, so we could probably go 6 weeks without a collection easily (and we frequently do when we forget to put bins out). But then Cardiff has excellent recyc and composting facilities, so hardly anything needs to be binned.

Harry_the_Spider

As they struggle to empty bins why am I surprised that they have just cocked up my council tax bill?

Pah.

miketually
    Free Member

We don't have bins here, we just put out black bags.

At some point in the distant past, we could buy our own bins and the bin men would empty them. We had a cat, so we had a bin that we put its crap in. The bin men would retch when they took the lid off in the summer. I think we might be the cause of the bin ban.

A colleague moved into town and put out his bin, so the bin men put the whole thing in the bin wagon and took it away 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

so the bin men put the whole thing in the bin wagon and took it away

LOL – pity they can't do a similar thing on Fri/Sat night outside Escapades 😆

Took me 8 months to realise that I was supposed to put glass in a green box. Apparently the binmen emptied the recycling bin and neatly placed all the glass bottles on my lawn. The neighbour opposite then picked them up, put them in her green box and they collected them on the way back up. NO-ONE mentioned it to me and I found out by accident on a day off !

molgrips
    Free Member

As they struggle to empty bins why am I surprised that they have just cocked up my council tax bill?

Where I live at least, the bin men don't write out the council tax bills.

Harry_the_Spider

Where I live I am beginning to suspect that they do.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Rant du jour’ is closed to new replies.