Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Rant du jour
  • Harry_the_Spider

I bet if I taped my council tax cheque to the bottom of the inside of my bin they would empty the f###er.

“We are only obliged to attempt to empty the bin sir”

In that case I should only be obliged to attempt to make my payment.

4 men and a several hundred thousand pounds worth of bin wagon defeated by a flattened nappy box that got wedged when they turned the bin upside down.

And relax… I’m off to the LBS to buy some inner tubes.

sofatester
    Free Member

3/10 😉

Daily Mail anyone?

grievoustim
    Free Member

shouldn't that nappy box have been in the recycling non? 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

Just remember that we put loads of dogshit in our bin. Same bin lads too.
    By the time they reach your house they're probably at their wit's end.

tracknicko
    Free Member

so you want bin man to feltch around in your bin pulling out all your nappy sh1t?

shouldnt you be recylcing all that cardboard anyway?

get. over. it.

Harry_the_Spider

LBS shut. Half day closing in Moston. Pah.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You actually compained to them about this?

terrahawk
    Free Member

so you want bin man to feltch around in your bin pulling out all your nappy sh1t?

no that's not what he's saying. At all.

There's a piece of cardboard in the bin, if it gets a gentle tug, the rest of the crap will fall out of the bin.
    What the binmen did was to tip it upside down with their Bin-Empty-A-Tron, watched as nothing happened due to piece of card, then put the bin back again.

It's not their job to empty bins, only attempt to empty them.
    Change the f**king record with the recycling thing as well. He put the thing in the wrong bin. WGAS?
    get. over. it.

derek_starship
    Free Member

My goodness there are some sanctimonious pricks on here aren't there tracknico?

I'd like to know exactly what constitutes an "attempt" to empty the bin. I'm sure that in a room on a mezzanine, somewhere at Bury Council, there lies a document detailing exactly what constitutes said attempt. No doubt it's twelve pages long and cost £14k to produce – a commission to some community PR consultancy.

If paramedics made similar attempts to resuscitate, there'd be a lot of more f*king dead people lying around our streets.

terrahawk
    Free Member

*happily bungs a few more dog eggs in the wheelie bin*

derek_starship
    Free Member

terrahawk – I assume you're either a) not in work or b) have very tolerant managers.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I'm working at home, I wasn't putting poo in the bin at work.
    The Salford bin men are quite menacing.

glenh
    Free Member

Cardboard = recycle.

Bin use FAIL.

kimbers

what glenh said +1

terrahawk
    Free Member

what glenh and kimbers said -2

😉

Harry_the_Spider

what terrahawk said + 1

Harry_the_Spider

What Jackie Wilson said.

What colour bin should I put my cardboard in BTW? I assume that a 30 minute round trip to the tip everytime I finish a box of Shreddies will have a negative effect in the environment and having a big stack of damp cardboard by the front door isn't going to go down well with my better half.

bruneep

and whatever Mark Datz would say

hels
    Free Member

We just got a new bin delivered – what should I do with my old bin ? I am seriously considering breaking it into smaller pieces and putting it in the new bin. Or I might set fire to it.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Hels, torch it, leaves a nice puddle of melted plastic whereever it is torched.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Next time rush out and own them with your bombers

Harry_the_Spider

Next time rush out and own them with your bombers

The wife did, complete with squealing baby under her arm. The bin man said that it wasn't a problem and they would empty it on the way back.

molgrips
    Free Member

So, you can't be bothered to make a tiny effort when you are throwing stuff away to make someone else's work day a little easier?

No wonder the bin men are pissed off. It's a common courtesy.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Do you think it was because he wasn't bothered? I assume he just didn't realise the box would get stuck.

here are some sanctimonious pricks on here

+1

terrahawk
    Free Member

No wonder the bin men are pissed off. It's a common courtesy.

oh stop bloody whining.
    You love bin men you do.
    They're your boyfriends. Especially the fat one driving the truck.

Harry_the_Spider

The offending box had been flattened to take up less space in the bin. The act of tipping the bin up had caused it to fall "trap door like" across the mouth of the bin thus jamming the items below it in said bin. Ironically, if the objects below the obstruction (or above it once the bin was inverted) had been heavier then they would have forced the blockage out of the way. Unfortunately all of the heavier objects tend to end up in the blue bin, the brown bin, the compost bin or in the paper recycling bag. None of which are suitable for cardboard.

In fact cardboard is about the only thing that we are allowed to put in the grey bin, well that and light bulbs. However, as my house is fully equipped with low energy long life tree friendly bulbs (that take 15 minutes to warm up and are **** all use when they do) that never ever break my grey bin is almost exclusively for cardboard and nappies (we tried the biodegradable ones but they leak. Sorry).

Any road up, back to the OP. A quick inspection followed by a bit of a jiggle freed up the blockage allowing for an unobstructed discharge should they have attempted it again. However, as they had already carried out their obligation of attempting to empty the bin (despite a promise to my wife that they would have another attempt on their return past my house) the bin remains full and I will have to empty it into bin bags and cart it over to the tip.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you think it was because he wasn't bothered?

I'm playing Devil's advocate. I'm not actually making any judgement about the OP, and he does give a good account of himself in a following post 🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

I will have to empty it into bin bags and cart it over to the tip.

Well at least you've got a box to put it all in. 😐

terrahawk
    Free Member

Well at least you've got a box to put it all in.

yeh, but he drives a Hummvee you know.
    Epic green fail.

Harry_the_Spider

headfirst – Member

I will have to empty it into bin bags and cart it over to the tip.

Well at least you've got a box to put it all in.

I HAVEN'T. I FLATTENED IT![/b]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I like this thread 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

what would chuck norris have done

Harry_the_Spider

mastiles_fanylion – Member

I like this thread

Enough to want to come round and see the bin? You can have some of the bits in it if you like.

headfirst
    Free Member

un-flatten it.Simples.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Can I have the nappy box? I can put it in the pile with all our nappy boxes currently taking up all the spare room in our shed and awaiting a trip to the tip to dispose of them.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Eveyone knows that once you've flattened a box, the resultant un-flattened version retains only 47% of it's original structural rigidity.

Anyway, screw all you hippies, most weeks our wheelie bin is generally overflowing with shitty nappies, plastic milk cartons, full strength light bulbs and enough cardboard to house a homeless bloke for a year. Our bin men love us though because we give them cheap Australian wine at Christmas.

😉

Harry_the_Spider

Maybe at Christmas I will be obliged to attempt to give them cheap Australian wine but for a variety of really lame reasons I won't be able to do it. Perhaps the flap on the top of the wine box will have fallen in a manner that won't allow me to extract the bottle without first moving it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Come to Harrogate and don't worry about recycling – the policy is so shocking as to be almost pointless.

They will accept glass and tin in the one box they will supply for household waste. But not plastic.

They have a small plastic bag for newspaper (but not magazines, Yellow Pages, cardboard etc). But that only lasts one or two collections before disappearing (assumed blown away every time).

They have green garden waste bins but have run out of money to supply them so if you don't have one you are told to share with your nearest neighbour. We got one straight away and now share it with 5 neighbours – in the summer it will only hold a tiny percentage of the garden waste produced.

The recycling tip is badly designed (it is a matter of time before someone is injured) and awfully signposted (it takes an age to find out which skip to put things in, meaning lots of aimless wandering around trying to find the correct one – adding to the dangers). I have contacted the council several times now and they haven't replied once.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Maybe at Christmas I will be obliged to attempt to give them cheap Australian wine but for a variety of really lame reasons I won't be able to do it. Perhaps the flap on the top of the wine box will have fallen in a manner that won't allow me to extract the bottle without first moving it.

LOL!

geoffj

Council employees in being worse than useless shocker! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Rant du jour’ is closed to new replies.