Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Ragley td-1
  • adeward
    Free Member

adeward
    Free Member
    speaker2animals

Very nice – think it would have to be geared for me, but looking good. Is this a prototype or a production machine?

adeward
    Free Member

this is the production one,,it arrived this week,

phatstanley
    Free Member

hey…those wheels look familiar.
    nice lookin' build, by the way.

adeward
    Free Member

yep stan the frame took a little longer to arrive than expected they are nice wheels tubless now

adeward
    Free Member

just one more pic

Clink

How does it ride? Very intrigued by the concept of the lower front end/shorter forks.

adeward
    Free Member

well the prototypes have been very sucsessfull ,,, i have only had a quick spin but so far it's great

it was designed for this length fork

Everlong
    Free Member

fantastic looking bike!

My mate just bought a Ragley and I'm very very jealous of him (and you) now!!

twinklydave

Looks properly lovely!

I'm guessing it weighs pretty much nowt!? 🙂

adeward
    Free Member

havn't weighed it yet,, but it needs tieing down to stop it floating away

Sam

I'm guessing it weighs pretty much nowt!?

With those wheels? I doubt it 😉

Looks lovely though – I like the non suspension corrected – bold move though!

terrahawk
    Free Member

first time I've seen one apart from mine and Dave's. Nice one. Enjoy flying around on it ;0)

nickc

lush. silly handlebars though…

duntstick
    Free Member

Go on mister, pull us a wheelie, wots it like on mountinz?

Clink

Giz us a ride report…go on, go on!

The bit I'm not sure about is if the shorter forks make the front end less comfy than the normal longer 29er rigid forks??

adeward
    Free Member

i will get out on it this weekend,, it;s in the kitchen goading me into taking it out,,
    just got back from the first open water swim of the year,, bloody cold ,, i'll keep you all posted

i wont be able to compare the short forks for you as i have only ridden full sus since 1999 , but it has got tubless 2.4 tyres so they should have some compliance

trail_rat
    Free Member

i still love that bike – finaly got the pictures i asked for 4 months ago 😀 the drop outs wont really like taking a rack – Old man mountain itd have to be.

kinda been put off the idea of a(nother) 29er by aiden though – will have to see.

mocha
    Free Member

Forgive my ignorance of geometry but is there a great difference between this and a fat tyred cross bike? I'm intrigued.

Clink

I presume much bigger tyre clearance, stonger?

rOcKeTdOg

so non corrected for suspension = super titchy or because it's corrected = relaxed?

brant
    Free Member

It's quite quick. 72deg head, but 29ers are very stable at speed due to wheel mass/gyroscopes innit.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Looks sweet.

mocha
    Free Member

So is that a no then? or a yes? nice looker either way….

rOcKeTdOg

but 29ers are very stable at speed due to wheel mass/gyroscopes innit

they don't turn well then? 😉

only joking, my 29er turns nicely with the rigid fork

twinklydave

so non corrected for suspension = super titchy or because it's corrected = relaxed?

Quick, in a race-y sort of way. Nice, involving…and other such cliches 😉

Forgive my ignorance of geometry but is there a great difference between this and a fat tyred cross bike? I'm intrigued.

Cross bikes often feel like modified, more capable road bikes. This feels nothing like that…best way I can describe it is that where, on a cross bike you might approach something rocky (think 3 Peaks style descents) and go "whoa, better keep it under control here" with this you'll be thinking what you would on any decent mtb, ie "yay, lets try and fly though this".

That probably makes no sense. Oh well!

Sam

mocha – Member

I guess it depends what you call a fat tyred cross bike. Between a 'regular' cross bike and something like this then yes, there is a world of difference, and it's not solely due to tyre clearance. In general, a cross bike will have steeper angles, higher bottom brackets, shorter chain stays, shorter top tubes, longer head tubes – not to mention drop bars and brakes that don't work awfully well.

Once you start getting into the realm of 'monstercross' bikes and drop-barred 29er mountain bikes then the distinction becomes more blurred. But the TD-1 is a long way from a standard cross bike.

rOcKeTdOg

so TD-1 or Pegasus? hmmmmm 😉

mocha
    Free Member

Yeah. Cheers for that. So they're just bikes for riding then?

😉

talking of which maybe I should go ride one…

sanctimoniousasshat
    Free Member

Hold up – how many bolts/nuts do I need to adjust to vary chain tension? I make it 8. I can see why people prefer them over ebb's…

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

How often do adjust the chain tension on your bike?

I would have thought a reliable, finely adjustable and secure system would be the priority. Not speed of adjustment.

Not saying EBBs are not secure or reliable etc. Just that extra time to adjust is gonna make flap all difference in the scheme of things.

sanctimoniousasshat
    Free Member

precisely – if they are otherwise equal why would you want the one which takes 5 times as long to adjust? I just know it would piss me off every time i went to adjust tension, however infrequent that may be… plus i'd need a little 10mm spanner which i wouldn't normally take with me riding.

Clink

so TD-1 or Pegasus? hmmmmm

I know – can't afford either but intriguing! 😀
    I'm waiting on the TD-1's steel version which is still on the way

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

precisely – if they are otherwise equal why would you want the one which takes 5 times as long to adjust? I just know it would piss me off every time i went to adjust tension, however infrequent that may be… plus i'd need a little 10mm spanner which i wouldn't normally take with me riding.

lighter, less prone to creaking, no chance of damage to bottom bracket thread, easy to swap drop outs for geared alternatives?

rOcKeTdOg

my EBB has never creaked and the dropout is geared or ss, no need to swap anything, damage to BB thread? not sure how a EBB would make that more likely

but for balance i can tell you i've got a wanga with similar dropouts to the TD-1, i set them up 2 years ago and haven't needed to adjust them since, it's vertical droput so wheel comes out like a egular bike

adeward
    Free Member

on the drop out side i love them , very secure and easy to adjust ,, a little scale etched on each side might be a good idea so you you can get the wheel straight quickly

adeward
    Free Member

went out for a quick ride,, it's great on the single track ,,
    not sure i have the gearing right yet currently 36/20 normaly ride 36/18 on little wheeler ,, or maybe i was just faster as it felt undergeared i had forgotten how hardtails bob on their tyres when you get up over 90rpm
    need to get smoother pedaling style

need to learn to manual over stuff spent too much time on preston where you just ride at stuff and let the suspension do the work,,

lovin' it back to my roots rigid kona ciner cone 1987

mocha
    Free Member

Thinking while I was out riding. I think I've got it now. Lower racier front end. Slacker head tube angle to make it ride like an mtb and not like a cross bike. I think?

36:19 will be better.

miketually
    Free Member

Looks ace Ade; perfect Race Weapon.

Got the bar angle sorted out?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Ragley td-1’ is closed to new replies.