Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ragley Carnegie bar – anyone used/using it in its 'flipped' mode?
  • drain

As title, really – considering using one on a Fargo in drop rather than rise mode, as a sort of concession to drop bars.

I’ll probably end up with drops on it anyway, but this would give me some options to use my MTB BB7s in the meantime ’til I raise some ££s to acquire road BB7s.

Any other advice from current Fargo users welcome! 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

me – how ever it was more of a by product of specifying a bike over the internet when in a foreign country so i just specified the bike to be the same height as my existing race bike

drain

Thanks, tr – looks cool, literally! How do you find it on the handling / comfort / accessibility of shifters/levers in that setup?

Questions, questions… 🙄

nedrapier

drain, you know you can get MTB-pull drop levers?

eg Tektro RL520

I’ve got these on drop with MTB pull BB7s.

drain

Ta. Yes, I run the RL520s with bar ends on my Traveller’s Check for the V brakes on that, I really like them. I was looking to use STI brifters though on the Fargo, as I have some old Sora 9 speed ones kicking around.

I have run those Soras with Travel Agents on the Vs, and they work well, but the Travel Agents for MTB BB7s are different from those used for Vs.

So by the time I pay out for a pair of in-line Travel Agents at £27 each end (which also look a bit gash zip tied to the frame / fork…) I figure I might as well have got the road BB7s 😕

Or maybe go for those Lyras that are on the Classifieds…

OCB
    Free Member

I tried them on my Genesis, but after one short ride, gave in an’ fitted H-bars (with the H-bars attendant hack of having to fit bar-end shifters on ‘thumbies’).

Anyway … Fit wise, the Carnegie’s were perfectly happy hosting M4 Mono levers, XT pods and Ragley lock-on grips – and whilst there was nothing actually ‘wrong’ with them either way up, the angle of sweep just wasn’t quite right for me (which I should have known as I’ve used H-bars on my SS for ages), so I swapped them out. 🙄

I can see how upside-down Carnegie’s could probably work quite well on a Fargo, given the frame is designed with that longer headtube and shorter top-tube to run drops, you’d certainly get more towards the position you’d get with drops with these than almost all other ‘flat’ bars- plus there is no additional hacking to be done, as they’ll take a rack of ‘normal’ components …

Maybe one of the ‘moustache’ bar’s could work too?
    (Cane Creek Drop-V levers work really well with BB7’s as another choice (if it comes to it)).

(Kinda thread-hijacking now I guess, but the Carnegie’s are still safely in my bike cupboard if you want them … actually, I should think about putting them in the classifieds anyway – perhaps I’ll have a clear out this weekend …).

drain

Thanks, OCB – I was wondering about moustache bars of some sort but I figure I’ll be fitting full drops at some point anyway for the Soras, and something like the Carnegies would be close enough to flat to fit normal MTB kit on.

Feel free to drop me a line (details in profile) if you have any further info on the ones you’re planning on flogging, there’sa set on CRC which is on my wishlist… 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ragley Carnegie bar – anyone used/using it in its 'flipped' mode?’ is closed to new replies.