Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Radiator booster, Yay or nay?
  • ivnickkate
    Free Member

We have one room that is always cold, anyhows I saw this Radiator Booster.

http://www.gizoo.co.uk/products/EcoFriendly/EnergySaving/RadiatorBooster.htm?SPMC=TGSPPCGFRO558

Anybody got one? Or do I believe the website’s reviews. Thanks.

robdob
    Free Member

I think that will help if your current radiator is poorly located, i.e. opposite the main window, where there isn’t a proper circular convection current happening. Firing the heat into the centre of the room might generate a more even heat around the room.
    If your radiator is already under the window then I don’t think it’ll make much difference, if your room is cold even with it located here you might want to balance your radiators better or maybe your need a bigger rad.

william
    Free Member

Apologies if I’m being patronising, but have you tried bleeding the radiator? The radiator in my bedroom went from being useless to being so hot I’ve had to turn it off after bleeding it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks ugly!

footflaps

Is your system properly balanced? If not, it could be that the radiator has been shorted out by one or more of the others and not getting a decent flow.

Bear
    Free Member

I’m sorry but that is just plain silly, a radiator is a convector not a radiator, which is what that gadget is trying to do, so a waste of time. It also uses power to create that convection, something which the radiator is doing anyway.

nsaints
    Free Member

+1 Footflaps comment
    we had an issue with a cold radiator
    I bought a cheap laser thermometer from maplin and set all my rads in the house to approx 10 degrees temp drop between the inlet and outlet pipe…problem solved

British Gas wanted £800 for a power flush…LOL

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Well I used to have an old storage heater with a fan in, without the fan on it was pap but with the fan running it was really good, heated the room up really quickly.

Bear
    Free Member

storage heater is a totally different heat emmiter than a radiator.

Pieface

‘Discreet Design’
    😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

try covering a big piece of cardboard in tin foil, then stick it behind the radiator

DaveGr
    Free Member

Snake Oil. Second above comments about bleeding radiators / balancing. Also check the location / setting of the room thermostat if you have one – if that’s turning off the central heating before all other rooms are warm then it needs adjusting. The system should have been designed to work properly so get it working as designed before making changes.

Discussion on MSE

I have silver foil bubble wrap behind radiators on external walls but only ‘cos I had a free stock of it and I think it might help a bit.

British Gas wanted £800 for a power flush…LOL

It looks like this is a standard tactic from BG for any problem !!!

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Thanks for everyone’s comments. It is a piping hot radiator, in fact the biggest in the house. I think that it’s position is the problem. It is on the only wall in the room, that is internal, and next to a door that the kids like to be open.

So my options seem to be, move it or add another radiator at the other of the room.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Get a roll of radiator wall insulation and stick it behind each external wall mounted radiator.

That thing reminds me of that “useful” product catalogue we used get through the mail, which was full of stuff you just didn’t need!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Radiator booster, Yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.