Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 251 total)
  • Racism row in Australia
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Let me put it this way, even Farrage is a better – more educated and less racist option than Abbot.

You still miss the many points….
    We don’t elect a prime minister – just like in the UK we elect a government that is led by a prime minsters – could have been Malcom recently who is certainly different.
    The previous government made themselves unelectable same as the former Blair/Brown shambles just as in the UK they would have elected a dead dog and a rabid cat if they were on the other side. If you would like to discuss the finer points of Australian politics then please go ahead but get the facts right to start

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

We don’t elect a prime minister – just like in the UK we elect a government that is led by a prime minsters – could have been Malcom recently who is certainly different.

We have leadership elections though. Is some Enoch Powell knockoff running the conservative party?

Noooooooooooo

zokes
    Free Member

Let me put it this way, even Farrage is a better – more educated and less racist option than Abbot.

You are very naïve then. Abbott was a Rhodes Scholar, Farage didn’t attend uni at all.

Christ, I never thought I’d be defending Abbott anywhere!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You are very naïve then. Abbott was a Rhodes Scholar, Farage didn’t attend uni at all.

Didn’t do much for Abbot did it? Nigel would still run rings around him.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You do but whichever party you elect can then select it’s leader so you don’t elect a PM. Case in point if the Liberal party had contested it’s leadership this year Malc T would probably be PM and a very different leader of the country. But as you know so much about politics here I’ll defer to you Tom

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

That’s good to know, also does nothing to defend your claim that Australia isn’t institutionally racist as well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No, are you just hard of understanding Tom? There are a few points going on here. Institutionally we have a much more diverse population than the UK, we have more people from different backgrounds in positions of power than the UK, it’s a true multi cultural nation. Racism is being psuhed further out.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

There are a few points going on here. Institutionally we have a much more diverse population than the UK, we have more people from different backgrounds in positions of power than the UK, it’s a true multi cultural nation. Racism is being psuhed further out.

Certainly looks that way, what with a backlash against a sportsman that bests the sports racism found in Spain and Italy.

In fact, I’m guessing you’re white – so I’m going to suggest that it’s up to non-whites in Australia to decide how well racism is being pushed out of Australia. Not white boys who never experience it.

Pigface
    Free Member

Institutionally we have a much more diverse population than the UK,

Be good to see proof of that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes so a lot of incidents that are being used to paint a population, if I take my friends as examples none of them actually follow afl and really couldn’t give a shit about it. It’s not a representation of Australia.

zokes
    Free Member

Nigel would still run rings around him.

Being a mass debater doesn’t really have much to do with racism.

Farage plays well to the cameras – probably better than most. Good TV presence has no bearing on the level of racism in someone. Pretty much the same way as a rapidly falling segment of a country’s news industry bears little reflection on the views of the nation as a whole. Your entire argument is an non sequitur.

also does nothing to defend your claim that Australia isn’t institutionally racist as well.

Also does nothing to defend your claim that it is.

zokes
    Free Member

I’m sure you know how to use google…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yes so a lot of incidents that are being used to paint a population, if I take my friends as examples none of them actually follow afl and really couldn’t give a shit about it. It’s not a representation of Australia.

Goode seems to think the racism found in sport is representative of Australia, so does John Pilger. My suggestion is that it’s not a representation of your Australia, an Australia viewed from the eyes of a white person.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well considering the majority of the population has been made up by immigration over the last 200 years is’t not hard. With people coming from more countries and areas of the world and living all over, tell you what prove it’s not as you know so much about it….

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Farage plays well to the cameras – probably better than most. Good TV presence has no bearing on the level of racism in someone. Pretty much the same way as a rapidly falling segment of a country’s news industry bears little reflection on the views of the nation as a whole. Your entire argument is an non sequitur.

Put it this way, Nigel is far to civilized for the kind of crap that Abbot spouts. And I have a hunch that he’s that way inclined in private as well.

Pigface
    Free Member

I didn’t make the claim 😆

ransos
    Free Member

I think Fin25 nailed the issue some time ago:

I think the distinction that needs to be made here is between personal racism and structural/institutional racism.
    Of course racist idiots are going to feel justified if their government’s policies towards indigenous Australians and foreign immigrants are as negative and, well, racist as those of the Australian Government.
    The stolen generation was only two generations ago and the Government continues to pursue aggressive policies against indigenous communities based on largely unsubstantiated child protection scaremongering, just as they did to justify the stolen generation in the first place.
    Adam Goodes is a high profile indigenous Australian who is not afraid to remind people what has been done in their country, and what continues to be done in their name. A lot of people struggle to understand or empathise with indigenous Australians’ experiences, so resort to good old fashioned racism.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know but I can’t be **** with you… and Tom in the UK you could have Borris as PM without an election same as you got Brown after Blair. You also completely miss the point as to why they got elected in the first place.

zokes
    Free Member

Let the children play Mike, there’s cricket to be watched

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know it was the lunch break…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I know but I can’t be **** with you… and Tom in the UK you could have Borris as PM without an election same as you got Brown after Blair. You also completely miss the point as to why they got elected in the first place.

Boris would still be better than Abbot.

Your best of the best in a mainstream party would be kicked out of UKIP for being too racist in the UK. Instead your politicians voted him into a position of power!

Pigface
    Free Member

If you cant be arsed why did you get involved 😆 what the hell has Boris got to do with how people are treating an indigenous AFL player. Wow that is quite a jump 😆

grum
    Free Member

No, are you just hard of understanding Tom? There are a few points going on here. Institutionally we have a much more diverse population than the UK, we have more people from different backgrounds in positions of power than the UK, it’s a true multi cultural nation. Racism is being psuhed further out.

Except what you have in Australia that we don’t have in the UK is an indigenous population that everyone else can join in being racist against, who have suffered what pretty much amounts to genocide, that continue to be be massively discriminated against.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well, except for gingers.

Anyway George Bush was a more progressive statesmen than Abbot, so why do Aussies feel they should be let off the international piss taking hook?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

only if you didn’t bother reading the previous posts (OH HANG ON…) it is all about Tom if I’m guessing right (aged 17 3/4) missing sever points about a political system where the leader of the majority party becomes PM rather than voting for a PM/leader US style system for a president and that we could have replaced Abbot in March and it was very close (if you actually follow Aus politics as I’m sure you do)

Also trying to extrapolate AFL to the entire population is overrated given it’s basically a Victoria sport with minor influence in the other states.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

only if you didn’t bother reading the previous posts (OH HANG ON…) it is all about Tom if I’m guessing right (aged 17 3/4) missing sever points about a political system where the leader of the majority party becomes PM rather than voting for a PM/leader US style system for a president and that we could have replaced Abbot in March and it was very close (if you actually follow Aus politics as I’m sure you do)

You are missing the points, our politicians would have never even come close to voting for Abbot in a leadership contest. Now lets refer back to the old saying that “people get the government they deserve”, our politicians would never vote for a leader like Abbot because they know that there would be a public backlash against it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

🙄

zokes
    Free Member

Tom, really, if you’re interested in Auspol, do some reading of the last 10 years in Canberra. It’s stranger than fiction, but it does highlight just how lucky Abbott is to be anywhere near The Lodge.

Looking at it from the outside, as you are, makes it very easy to draw the wrong conclusion, as you are

Pigface
    Free Member

If you want really scary Auspol check out this guys story “Sir Johannes “Joh” Bjelke-Petersen” not long ago and really frightening.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Looking at it from the outside, as you are, makes it very easy to draw the wrong conclusion, as you are

Sounds remarkably like what a White South African or Rhodesian would say.

zokes
    Free Member

If you want really scary Auspol check out this guys story “Sir Johannes “Joh” Bjelke-Petersen” not long ago and really frightening.

Even by Qld standards he was indeed quite special.

I think his son is involved in state politics up there now 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want to know about a political landscape in a country you don’t really know that much about then read all sides and don’t just pick extreme examples, I’m reading around a lot of issues here and trying to get to grips with the very complex situation in SE Asia. There is a lot going on and a lot of politics, it would be very foolish to try and make a point based on isolated examples.

zokes
    Free Member

Sounds remarkably like what a White South African or Rhodesian would say.

I think that’s close enough to Godwin to count

mikewsmith
    Free Member

oh and just saying like..
    David Cameron criticised over migrant ‘swarm’ language

Asked about the Calais crisis, he spoke of “a swarm of people coming across the Mediterranean, seeking a better life, wanting to come to Britain”.
    Labour’s Harriet Harman said “he should remember he is talking about people and not insects” and called the use of “divisive” language a “worrying turn”.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

That’s what you basically are though, as a white person in Australia.

You are following the same colonial traditions, perhaps a milder version, but you are more closely related than you think. How the indigenous population is still treated in Australia just serves to highlight that.

oh and just saying like..
    David Cameron criticised over migrant ‘swarm’ language

The difference is, is that the correction of his statement will probably be accepted by Cameron and not viciously opposed by every other party member and his/her dog.

zokes
    Free Member

“No but, Abbott, but racist but but but…..”

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

How do you feel about moving to and contributing to a country that is little better than an apartheid state Zokes?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member
    That’s what you basically are though, as a white person in Australia.

I am an immigrant in a country, I have basic rights and it will take up to 4 years to get any more. I look at my position here and understand it. I also talk and work with people from diverse backgrounds and we talk about racism and immigration. Conversations I expect you have with other people here…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I am an immigrant in a country, I have basic rights and it will take up to 4 years to get any more. I look at my position here and understand it. I also talk and work with people from diverse backgrounds and we talk about racism and immigration.

So you’re a white person, talking to mostly white people and the odd well educated Indian and Asian from a white persons perspective.

Good for you Mike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member
    How do you feel about moving to and contributing to a country that is little better than an apartheid state Zokes?

Seriously, how old are you Tom?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 251 total)

The topic ‘Racism row in Australia’ is closed to new replies.