Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 251 total)
  • Racism row in Australia
  • Pigface
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-33685103

What a surprise 🙄

They really are a rum lot down under.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

It’s got sod all to do with the colour of his skin, it’s because he’s a w@nker.

wrecker
    Free Member

What’s he done?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

aphex_2k – Member

It’s got sod all to do with the colour of his skin,

Yep, that’s definitely not why he’s been called an ape and told to get back to the zoo. Definitely. And when people boo him for complaining about racism, that’s nothing to do with the colour of his skin either

soobalias
    Free Member

dumb, drunk, racist.

Ozzi words, not mine.

fin25
    Free Member

I lived in Australia for a while a few years ago and have followed AFL since. Yes, Goodes does seem a little arrogant and abrasive, but no more than a lot of other AFL players. It seems to me that any time an indigenous Australian opens their mouth about race issues, the media rip them to bits.
    There is still the expectation in Australia that indigenous people integrate completely into “white” culture, when they don’t, it tends to create this kind of upset.
    In my experience, there is a lot of racism in Australia. I worked in a couple of pubs in Melbourne and some of the locals would get up and leave or otherwise kick off if I served an indigenous Australian.
    Whatever you think of Goodes, there can be no justification for such racism in a country still massively discriminating against its indigenous population.

nach
    Free Member

aphex_2k gets some kind of special prize for not reading the story.

a rival fan was removed for allegedly telling him to “get back to the zoo”.
    The unidentified man said his ejection was an “overreaction”, and described the current uproar as “political correctness gone mad”.

aphex_2k – Member
    It’s got sod all to do with the colour of his skin

Reading the story linked onward, the fan sounds like a classic racist **** who’s been given a platform to repeatedly attempt excusing himself.

“I’m not a racist, it’s just banter” *eyeroll*

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh I dunno. I read my comment on a meme, I thought it was true.

When do I get my prize?

I accept, only if nach admits he got his stroppy knickers on about a comment about a complete stranger, about a stranger, on an internet forum. Deal?

nickjb
    Free Member

Funny old country. The people who don’t like the indigenous population also aren’t too keen on immigration.

Pigface
    Free Member

Yes, Goodes does seem a little arrogant and abrasive, but no more than a lot of other AFL players

Dermott Brereton spring to mind 😆

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Funny old country

Nothing we don’t already know…. they bleat on how blooming good their country is, yet mostly only live on it’s edge…. 😆

oh and they are 18-2

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Doesn’t surprise me, if you walk into a bar full of white people in South East Asia – the loudest most obnoxious idiot in the room is always an Aussie.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Classic burying bad news (the cricket) tactics.

zippykona

As my old boss used to bleat on ” it’s advance Australia fair, not black ,not brown, not yellow.”
    I love Australia and Australians but the aborigines seem as fair game as gypsies in the uk.

soobalias
    Free Member

ive not dared to see how the toss went, nevermind the collapse b4 lunch

*hides*

edit: half right
    might be worth the office fight to see if i can get TMS on this arvo.

wrecker
    Free Member

The bloke might well be a w@nker, and that may be why people don’t like him, but abusing him according to his race or skin colour is common-garden racism.
    From what I’ve read he reacts aggressively to racist abuse and people don’t like it. Good on him I say.

bigrich

a fair number of AFL players have been caught doing drugs, being fairly rapey, and having it away with children.

brushed under the carpet.

thegreatape
    Free Member

might be worth the office fight to see if i can get TMS on this arvo.

To watch England bat 🙂

nach
    Free Member

It’s just banter aphex_2k, like when someone hurls an incredibly personal racist comment, with centuries of historic discrimination behind it, from the stands at a football match.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I agree.

bigjim

I think one of my main memories of my time in australia is the racism, it is completely entrenched in people from birth. A good friend who I didn’t think had an iota of racism came out with the line “who let the wildlife in” when he saw some aboriginals sitting having a picnic in the park, and a couple of times a week we were warned not to go to places as ‘the natives run wild there’ etc, which turned out to be completely untrue each time, and the line “I’m not racist, but…” was a regular occurrence.

I do think we are heading that way here though, it seems to be completely acceptable to be negative about eastern europeans in normal conversation, or drag an asian guy off a train because he has headphone wires dangling out his backpack.

ocrider

I’m quite sure that no matter how much you’d find someone unlikeable or abrasive, using a racist insult to show your displeasure makes you a racist.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wasn’t that long ago football fans were doing monkey calls and throwing bananas at players here. Mind you there was far less effort put into defending it.
    Still popular in many european countries such as spain and the eastern euros.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Doesn’t surprise me, if you walk into a bar full of white people in South East Asia – the loudest most obnoxious idiot in the room is always an Aussie.

Well after 4 days in Singapore that wasn’t the case. It was the obnoxious southern pricks in their pink shirts treating the staff like shit. In Abu Dhabi on the way back it was the cockney expats who were the worst.

Pigface
    Free Member

Where do Southern pricks come from?

soobalias
    Free Member

south coast, south of the river & southern hemisphere

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Home counties pig face the finest examples of arsehole I have seen in a while.

hora
    Free Member

Wasn’t that long ago football fans were doing monkey calls and throwing bananas at players here. Mind you there was far less effort put into defending it.

Good point. There are racists everywhere. Sadly although through the media attention such acts are amplified/publicized there doesn’t seem to be equally corresponding action from the sporting authorities.

wrecker
    Free Member

Well after 4 days in Singapore that wasn’t the case. It was the obnoxious southern pricks in their pink shirts treating the staff like shit. In Abu Dhabi on the way back it was the cockney expats who were the worst.

Says the wannabe aussie!!!! Hardly neutral!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nothing wannabe just live there and saying what I saw. Felt embarrassed to be British.

mt
    Free Member

What do we expect, we sent a load criminals down there and when Oz is still not full a good portion of racist English people go there as £10 poms. It’s in the culture because it’s partly our culture.

zokes
    Free Member

The irony of complaining about racism while simultaneously deriding an entire populace.

Fat-boy-fat

I must admit, I’m with bigjim on this. I lived in Oz for a couple of years and a large proportion of the folk I came across were overtly racist, especially to aborigine folk.

Over here though, I do reckon we’re just as racist. Loads of bad feeling about “immigrants” of all types, institutional racism in our language (what do you call your cornershop or your Chinese takeaway).

My favourite bit of Oz racism … We first moved over there just after the Cronulla riots and there was a big debate going on about the rights of Muslim people to follow their own traditions. A politician supporting Muslim rights said “ah, just let them do what they want … In 5 years they’ll all be eating snags from the barbie and slugging back tinnies”.

Seriously???

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The irony of complaining about racism while simultaneously deriding an entire populace.

It isn’t really. Racist views are not genetically acquired but they are very much cultural.

It is perfectly feasible to claim that Australian society is relatively racist and that racism is widespread. As it is to claim that this creates a contempt for other people and other cultures.

I’m not claiming this description is true but I don’t see any evidence of irony.

Pigface
    Free Member

Herr Zokes has emerged from under his rock 😆

whatnobeer
    Free Member

lived in Oz for a couple of years and a large proportion of the folk I came across were overtly racist, especially to aborigine folk.

I’ve met a fair few ozzies in Whistler and the majority seem fine, but then the subject of aboriginals doesn’t come up much in conversation. I’ve also met a few Canadians here who seem to have the same attitude described above about the First Nations. I don’t really get it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not racist. Some of my good friends are various shades of brown. What really pisses me off is when they get all uppity about racism – can’t stand people being mouthy about it. They should complain in a culturally sympathetic manner for crissakes. They’re just getting professionally offended on behalf of all the other members of their race. It’s about time the more moderate members of the indigenous community came out and distanced themselves from this fellow.

wrecker
    Free Member

I went to a first nations festival in Kelowna. Broad spectrum there (mostly white) and the atmosphere was lovely. I had a great day!

nach
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    I’m not racist. Some of my good friends are various shades of brown. What really pisses me off is when they get all uppity about racism – can’t stand people being mouthy about it. They should complain in a culturally sympathetic manner for crissakes. They’re just getting professionally offended on behalf of all the other members of their race. It’s about time the more moderate members of the indigenous community came out and distanced themselves from this fellow.

A bit like how cyclists should ask nicely to not get run over?

“We’re sorry about the internment camps and the widespread racism, institutional discrimination, etc., but really you should ask nicely because we don’t like your tone when you complain about this stuff”.

FFS.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 251 total)

The topic ‘Racism row in Australia’ is closed to new replies.