Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Quitting Smoking – Health?
  • yoshimi

I quit unfiltered last September and quit everything about 4 weeks ago – my chest/lungs actually feel worse, is this normal?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes.

It will improve.

thomthumb
    Free Member

yes.

giving up is amazing – soon you will feel much better.

scaredypants

yer lungs were prob so full of shite that the general inflammation and the coughing after the 1st of the day was the only thing keeping them clear

MikeWW
    Free Member

Quit July 2007
    One of the smartest moves I made

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

^ what they said; stick with it, well worth it to be free!

yoshimi

well thats good news then – I've quit once before but it was sort of half hearted – this time I know I'm a non-smoker for life 😀

Just since stopping smoking, when I've been to the gym I don't feel I'm using full lung capacity – cant put my finger on it

glenh
    Free Member

That's cos your lungs are half full of crap!

Also, maufactured cigs have additives to help open the airways, which you've now lost.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i got smokers cough about 4 years after stopping for a few mths. It takes a whils ti clear the cr@p out

Did you use the GD or not at weekend?

hora
    Free Member

Cell repair/adjust.

Similar thing happens if you quit drinking after sustained abuse.

The funny thing is if you stay quit you have a sort of epiphany when you look back at your smoking.

mogrim

Sadly, you're not a non-smoker, you're an ex-smoker. Trust me, there's a difference. Even after nearly 10 years without smoking, I still (very) occasionally get the urge…

mtbfix

I flippin hate smoking but come 6:30pm every day… Must make concerted effort to give up my evening vice.

hora
    Free Member

Even after nearly 10 years without smoking, I still (very) occasionally get the urge…

11yrs here. Soon you'll think it was madness actually smoking.

Ps. I smoked, boy did I smoke. I smoked Gitanes, Lucky Strikes and Malborough Mediums as well as occasional Capstan full strength. If I hadnt quit then I reckon my reoccuring Bronchitus would have become chronic.

scaredypants

when marlboro 1st came out they were marketed as a ladies' mild cig – shows how times change, hey ?

yoshimi

Did you use the GD or not at weekend?
    Not even fited to the bike yet:(

Even after nearly 10 years without smoking, I still (very) occasionally get the urge…
    I hope youre joking

The funny thing is if you stay quit you have a sort of epiphany when you look back at your smoking.
    THis is what I'm looking forward too

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Sorry to pi$$ on everyones chips but when i gave up fags 4 four years ago i didn't notice any difference at all.And i was a heavy smoker(30 roll ups + 2-3 joints a day)Went to the docter once for a check up and did a test for lung capacity .He couldn't beleve that i was a smoker.I must be a freak 😯

clareymorris

+1 for Horas comments……..If smoking we an Olympic sport it would have been gold for me!!!

donsimon
    Free Member

I hope youre joking

Don't worry, as soon as I gave up I knew it was forever, no craving, nothing. I don't even remember how many years I've gone without, 6 maybe 7, it's not important.

I was much the same as bjj.andy.w,I went to the docs at 23 yrs old to do some tests. Doc told me that I was a little less fit than a healthy 21 yr old, I had been smoking for 6-7 years at that point. No problem, no need to give up. But I'm sure that even if the lungs weren't being effected, other problems were caused, circulation for one. Best thing I ever did was to quit.

Now with asthma, whenever I do the breathe test on the machine I seem to exceed expectations for an asthmatic, I have no idea why… Lung capacity? Using diaphragm to help breathe???

Good on ya for quitting, keep it up. It really is quite easy to stop, Allan Carr says so!

2 packs Marlboro/normal day, 3-4 packs weekend!!! (over 20 odd years, how many bike is that?????).

yoshimi

20 Marlboro day before I stopped

It really is quite easy to stop, Allan Carr says so!

Thats the method I used – good to hear some positive stories:)

lowey

Packing in the tabs eh Danny ? **** me, you'll be riding a bike next!

TenMen
    Free Member

In Alan Carr's 2nd book about how easy it is to quit – which I read after failing to quit using his first book – he admitted that he only gave up after hypnotherapy, not using the methods in his book. Hardly inspiring!

Junkyard
    Free Member

lowey – Member

Step 8 of the programme iirc 😆

uplink
    Free Member

Alan Carr?

nickc

Also, maufactured cigs have additives to help open the airways, which you've now lost.

No F**king Way!! Is that real?

I used hyponotherapy, but with hindsight I just needed an "event" I'd already decided to stop, and here's the thing, once you decide to stop, properly, that's it. the actual not smoking bit is really a piece of piss, I couldn't wait for the days to come round so I could count off the days I hadn't smoked, never will ever again.

donsimon
    Free Member

TenMen – Member

In Alan Carr's 2nd book about how easy it is to quit – which I read after failing to quit using his first book – he admitted that he only gave up after hypnotherapy, not using the methods in his book. Hardly inspiring!
    Possible, but hard to believe, do you have a link or something to back it up?

I think the Allan Carr books are simply brain washing, you have to read and re-read them until you are convinced. It has to undo a lifetime of brainwashing from the tobacco companies saying that smoking is coooooooooool!

yoshimi

really wish I had a comeback to that 😳

Yeah, is that true?

donsimon
    Free Member

Yeah, is that true?

That could be true, I knew someone who worked for Glaxo (Ventolin) who said that asthma sufferers had a smoke before doing the breathing test (peak flow/spirometry) as the fags opened up the airways. I don't see the benefit of cheating the test though.

TenMen
    Free Member

don simon – I don't have a link, but he talked about it quite openly in his 2nd book.

Just looked at his wikipedia page – he died of lung cancer…

donsimon
    Free Member

he died of lung cancer…

That I think was attributed to spending a lot of time in smoke filled rooms helping people quit. 😥 and the fact that he also smoked on an olympian scale.

TenMen
    Free Member

That I think was attributed to spending a lot of time in smoke filled rooms helping people quit.

I'll be hoping that was indeed the case when I light up my next one of the day. I only smoke outside…

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Yup, although not just in tailored cigarettes. Bronchodilators are added to rolling/pipe tobacco too. Controlled breathing during the action of smoking also adds to this effect.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Quitting Smoking – Health?’ is closed to new replies.