Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Quick CV question
  • mogrim

Quick CV question: for an IT CV.

Would you list all your projects you’ve worked on for a company, with a brief description of your responsabilities, technology used etc.:

Dates: 2010 (January) – Present
    Occupation or position held: Project manager
    Client / Project: XXXX
    Main activities and responsibilities: Responsible for providing technical and managerial assistance to XXXX for YYYY. …
    Technology: Java J2EE – Oracle Portal, Oracle WebCenter. Oracle BD 11g. Ruby.

(repeat as many times as needed – in my current job I’ve done at least 9 projects…)

Or would you summarise the time at the company in a single block:

Company X 200-present
    I have filled various roles from programmer through. team leader project manger and architect. With my current role beingxxxxxxx.
    I have been involved with many projects including xxxxxxx
    Clients I have worked directly with xxxxxx
    Technologies I have used xxxxxxxxxx

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

summarise the time at the company in a single block:

I’d say this was the best approach. Then just cherry pick the best bits of your experience and highlight them, either within each company block or as an overall skills headline section.

mogrim

Cherry pick? So many cherries, it’s hard to choose 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh, and don’t duplicate stuff. It’ll just make you look really silly! 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Look at your history and provide the future employer with the benefits you can provide them and not a boring least of features.
    Think about the Why? when you’re writing the CV.
    And select the single most important attribute/job and build out from there.
    Looking for a new job? Good luck. Or did Rajoy have all the answers all along?

mogrim

lol, NOT MY FAULT. Bloody STW hamsters working overtime.

mogrim

Look at your history and provide the future employer with the benefits you can provide them and not a boring least of features.

Does that work for IT CVs, though? A fair amount of the hiring process is based on the technology you’ve used (ie a boring list of features).

donsimon
    Free Member

I would say yes, as you need to show that not only can you use it but you can use it effectively and beneficially for the company.
    I assume that in this geekdom companies are still looking for effective employees so being able to say that you not only know how to use something but you know how to use it and make the company money is better, no?
    Or that you were able to learn and implement something in a short space of time is better than just learning it, no?

alfabus
    Free Member

don’t necessarily list everything, but try to show progression if you have been somewhere for a long time

For example (most recent first):

Principal Engineer / Team Lead
    projects include…

Senior Engineer
    projects include…

Engineer
    projects include…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Oh, and don’t duplicate stuff. It’ll just make you look really silly!

THIS

mogrim

Cheers for the suggestions, time to do some CV modifying! (Love doing this on company time 🙂 )

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Quick CV question’ is closed to new replies.