Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Quick BB question…
  • julioflo
    Free Member

Need a new HT2 Bottom Bracket.
    Are the Hope ones really worth the extra £££’s over a shimano?
    Thanks

bigyinn
    Free Member

The XT or STR ones are hard to beat in terms of price at rose bikes, about £17 for the XTR.
    Not sure that Hope are really worth the extra expense, although they do look nicer!

Northwind

Hope aren’t worth the extra- the lifespan’s a little better but you don’t break even unless it lasts 4 times better, which it won’t… And that’s ignoring the fact that you pay up front.

Don’t go with the cheapest Shimano though, SLX and up are good but deore is pretty poor.

julioflo
    Free Member

Thanks for advice guys.
    XTR for £17 at Rose really?!

endurojules
    Free Member

I’ve had the Hope Ceramic one, plus points? Colours (shallow but yes) Super smooth running, you only had to tap the cranks and they span for minutes, I’m not kidding… Minus points? Cost (see previous posts) and the bearings didn’t seem to be sealed to the degree I’d want them for the price, although the bearings can be pressed out and changed – I can’t see why you’d bother having a shabby faded shell with new bearings.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I would stick with the shimano ones.

Rose bikes are not buying through Madison at this price. I have an account with Madision and a Shimano SM-BB70 through Madison is £16.20 +VAT, the best rate is for 8+ at £14.20 + VAT. Rose bikes are selling below this so they are importing from aborad somewhere. It is a shame as I do not have the funds to buy in bulk from abroad in this way so I have to buy through Madsion. There needs to be more than one Shimano distributor in the U.K to keep the prices down. I think the next BB’s I buy for the shop will be from Rose bikes!

Northwind

Not sure XTR is any better to XT, fwiw… They’re constructed slightly differently but the lifespan’s comparable.

If you want bling, Gusset’s EXT24 is good- outlasts XT by a reasonable amount, comes in pretty colours. Mine has needed an occasional clean to keep it sweet but it’s still going strong.

Rose are german fwiw so maybe Lange can do better than Madison.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Just realised that Rose Bikes is in Germany. Not fair that bike bits in Germany are cheaper.

I don’t think a german distributor will sell to the U.K as that impinge on Madision’s territory. Also I cannot speak German.

bigyinn
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

Buy from Rose’s shop, hang in your shop. Sorted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Quick BB question…’ is closed to new replies.