Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Queuing for long periods in a car…
  • nuke

…could you get CO poisoning?

Yesterday I drove home from Croydon…roughly 18 miles and it took 10 hours 😥

Felt terrible today with a splitting headache…given it was bumper-to-bumper most of the way, I wondered if I’d experienced CO poisoning to some extent?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have heard of folk falling asleep in running cars & dying from it.

stumpy01

Don’t know about poisoning……possible, I suppose.

did you drink much in that time? Could be dehydration?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

More liable to be dehydration.

robdob
    Free Member

It won’t have helped, will it?
    Probably the long period of stop start driving, lack of food/water, having to keep awake may have combined with poor air quality to give headache. Can’t have been stress free!

aP
    Free Member

Did you have the fan on sucking in the exhaust fumes of the car 18″ infront of you that you were sitting behind for 10 hours?

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Could I suggest you get some fresh air and cycle? Or would that be churlish?

toby1

It’ll be the ponytail you have – it’s too tight 😛

Well someone had to say it!

nuke

Yeah, I guess dehyration would have also played a part…I had some drinks with me but didn’t expect to be stuck for quite so long.

Did you have the fan on sucking in the exhaust fumes of the car 18″ infront of you that you were sitting behind for 10 hours?

Yep, guess fan was on low for the majority of the time to keep the windscreen clear

Could I suggest you get some fresh air and cycle?

Just been out thanks 😀 Lovely cycle up over Ranmore.

john_drummer
    Free Member

stress?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Could be, but most cars these days are fuel injected so CO emissions will be minimized by either

a) controlling the ratio of fuel to oxygen with a MAF/O2 sensor, or
    b) a lambda sensor telling it when it got a wrong.

You can have similar symptoms from a lack of oxygen which is more likely, but thats usualy fairly instantaneous recovery in fresh air.

nuke

Yep certainly felt pretty bloody stressed at times…went through a whole plethora of emotions from anger to despair.

Still think CO could have played a part….what was it they taught at school: CO combines 3 times more readily to hemoglobin than oxygen?

It’ll be the ponytail you have

Not me 😕

kimbers

problem is that car air intakes are roughly at exhuast level so you get to breath in whats being spewed out the car infront
    certainly carcinogens have been shown to build up to very high levels inside cars in standing traffic

ivantate
    Free Member

car heater air intakes are just infront of the windscreen.

richmtb

Probably just stress, lack of food / water.

Suicide through car engine fumes are very rare indeed these days to to the very small CO emmissions that modern cars produce. If you lock yourself in your garage an run you engine you are more likely to starve to death first than succumb to the exhaust!

Xylene
    Free Member

How did you wee and poo?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Queuing for long periods in a car…’ is closed to new replies.