Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Question on bike-setup legality
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

Just had contact from the shop to tell me my bike-to-work scheme bike is in, but when I called them I was told I can't have it until it's been through their workshop and that's not going to be until the 20th of April (which is a bummer as I'm on holiday next week and would have taken it with me).

I tried to persuade them that I'd rather set it up myself anyway (I didn't mention that it was because I've found they're crap at it though!) but was told that it was a legal requirement that it goes through their workshop before they're allowed to give it to me.

Anyone know if that is a legal requirement or someone mixing up shop policy and actual legislation?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seems to me you could sign a disclaimer and build it yourself but I suspect the jobsworth's aren't going to even investigate it (it is Helfrauds we are talking yes?)

Olly
    Free Member

iirc they have a disclaimer form.
    i saw a bloke in halfrauds pick up a bike but didnt want to wait, so they got out some paper work along the lines of "dont come crying to us when it actually works properly"

terrahawk
    Free Member

they've got to fasten the little bell to the bars.

I picked up a bike from my LBS a couple of weeks ago – they'd pumped the tyres up properly and chucked the reflectors and bell in a plastic bag with the manual.

epicsteve
    Free Member

It's not Halfords, it's a specific bike place with a few shops.

druidh
    Free Member

It may be that they have a specific obligation under C2W.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd escalate it. Hopefully there is someone up the chain with a brain.

matt_bl
    Free Member

If it's H'fords, then shop policy I would have thought.

My H'fords C2W bike last year came in a box and this year's bike (Genesis Day One Cross) will also be in a box when I pick it up. On Monday or Tuesday, whoop!

I have no problem specifically with H'fords, but I would check it all anyway so I might as well put it together.

Matt

naedeyw
    Free Member

It's to meet a British Standard requirement rather than a legal requirement. If however the shop is shown to be negligent should something subsequently happen then it could become a legal responsibility.

orena45

Is it a Trek/Gary Fisher? Trek and some other bike manufacturers only sell via bike shops to ensure the bike meets their safe assembly requirements…so it might be a requirement of the bike company that your bike is assembled properly by the shop?

tinsy
    Free Member

Halfords in Lancaster about 300 miles away posted mine to me in a box rather than deal with the dimwits in my local Halfords… no mention of setting it up.

njee20
    Free Member

It's a warranty thing too, void if not assembled by them.

ojom
    Free Member

Hiya

Many brands specify that shops MUST build bikes before they go to customers.

This is just the way it is. It helps maintain quality of the product in the market and also… some bikes don't always arrive 100% perfect and need some 'persuasion' to work properly, think incorrectly mounted brake calipers, headset cup cracks, loose spokes etc.

We would not let one go out without a mechanic build – ever. Just not worth the hassle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

"jobsworth!"

*points*

neninja
    Free Member

If there are warranty obligations etc then fair enough, but does it really take 11 days to attach the bars, pedals etc.

Why call to say we've got your bike but you can't have it for almost a fortnight. That's taking the pee.

ojom
    Free Member

"jobsworth!"

*points*

you called? heh

IA

"but does it really take 11 days"

Probably takes 11 days to find a spare hour in their workshop schedule…

toys19
    Free Member

Yawn. I would vote in a govt that made it illegal to be a jobsworth. They are the bane of civil life.

Hicksy
    Free Member

Surely you'd then need a jobsworth to go round and check for jobsworths!

wwaswas

OP: "I'd like to take my bike to work bike on holiday with me"

Shop "Eh?"

toys19
    Free Member

Hicksy – Member

Surely you'd then need a jobsworth to go round and check for jobsworths! This may well be the reason why I am not in leadership..

Although, it wouldn't meet my definition of jobsworth.

epicsteve
    Free Member

It may be that they have a specific obligation under C2W.

I asked that and they said it wasn't just B2W ones that it applied to.

OP: "I'd like to take my bike to work bike on holiday with me"

Shop "Eh?"

Don't think I mentioned to the shop that I wanted to take it on holiday (up on the NW of Scotland), however given it was there it would have been nice to have it. I'll be taking a bike with me anyway, but as I'm with the family most of the cycling will be on tarmac so this particular bike would have been good.

The bike isn't from one of the big brands, it's a Cotic Roadrat.

epicsteve
    Free Member

If there are warranty obligations etc then fair enough, but does it really take 11 days to attach the bars, pedals etc.

Why call to say we've got your bike but you can't have it for almost a fortnight. That's taking the pee.

That's what I thought. I accept that their workshops are very busy at the moment but it sounded like they weren't even going to schedule it into the workshop until after I'd called to make arrangements.

It's to meet a British Standard requirement rather than a legal requirement. If however the shop is shown to be negligent should something subsequently happen then it could become a legal responsibility.

I'm pretty much expecting that they view it as a requirement from their legal people in order to avoid liability, but the chap I spoke to was confusing that with it actually being the law.

It's not a big deal, but the 11 day delay seems rather pointless given that the first thing I'll do when I get the bike is strip it down, replace a few bits (bars, pedals, saddle etc.) and then build it back up again. If nothing else I want to make sure I'll be carrying the right tools to remove the rear wheel, fix a puncture and re-fit the wheel as, given it has an Alfine hub, that probably won't be possible with my normal on-bike toolset.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Question on bike-setup legality’ is closed to new replies.