Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Question for winter hill walkers
  • pennine
    Free Member

Just about everyone had Dachsteins 40yrs ago.

jag61

still got my Dachsteins got a pair of Montane mitts last year found them a bit sweaty but warm enough. bit worried about melting them to pot when cooking !they wont last like my Dachs

matt_outandabout

Rascal – I presume you also have map & compass, head torch & spare batteries?

rascal
    Free Member

Yep all them.
    Would be covering nav on the course too.

rascal
    Free Member

Mr Banana – initially I’ll be walking the in Lakes as I know that area better than anywhere else – some of N Wales too. Don’t really know Scotland too well (other than The Ben in summer) so will save that for when I’m more confident on higher steep ground and am happy with navigating in areas I don’t know.

kennyp
    Free Member

Re eyewear, if there’s any chance of walking on snow them you definitely want at least sunglasses. It’s amazing just how horrible snow glare can be if there’s bright sunshine. Harmful to your eyes too.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’ve hill walked a few times in winter with people carrying very small packs, proud of their ability to travel light and dismissive of the ones carrying “loads of stuff that’s not needed”. And the large majority of times the worst they suffer is maybe getting a bit too chilly.

But, and this is a big but if something were to go wrong, a broken ankle, a misjudgement in distance, anything leading to the situation where a night on a winter mountain was necessary, it’s the poor sods who lug the safety equipment about who would be the ones who would keep the group alive.

I’ve had people say to me “oh you’d just have to leave me in the open, it’s a chance I’ll take” but on the rare occasion we have run into trouble they are always happy to borrow that warm jacket or extra gloves that they themselves weren’t willing to carry. And they know that in an emergency no one would ever actually leave them out in the open to die.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Might be worth getting up the Lakes/Snowdonia this coming weekend, loads of snow forecast this week on high ground and possible high pressure (cold, settled) later in the week
    Helvellyn on 26/1/14

peterfile
    Free Member

Have you seen the recent pics of Glencoe banana? 🙂

The rescue hut had to be completely dug out this morning!

It’s made BBC news

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No, a big gang of us used to have a 7 day West Highlands winter climbing holiday every year, without fail, for about 15 years. Also a few weekend raids to Cobbler etc. Haven’t been for 4 years tho, would love to get up there again, but have to accept odd weekends in Wales/ Lakes these days.
    I bet there’s a high avalanche risk at the moment?.

peterfile
    Free Member

Aye…linky…could be worse mind you!

We actually headed down to the Lakes a couple of times last winter (Jan and Feb) to do some rock. It’s only 2.5 hours from our house and there’s plenty of good low level crags so provided you get a day when the sun’s out then it’s great. Mrs PF isn’t as keen on winter climbing. I’ve always loved the lakes, but you can’t beat a full on Scottish winter 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Question for winter hill walkers’ is closed to new replies.