Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Amazon working conditions
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

Amazon working conditions can cause severe stress.

I didn’t expect them to be great jobs but that sounds terrible. I would rather work in McDonalds/KFC or something.

martinhutch

Sounds awful. Much harder than working in the pits, docks or heavy industry like their grandparents.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yip, imagine having to walk 11 miles? Must be awful for them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chalkstorm
    Free Member

Poor loves….they should have benches scattered around for them to sit on and a ‘Union Board’ so they can start to think the world owes them a living…..

federalski
    Free Member

To me it does sound quite a demanding job. To what extent I don’t know… But why do we jump on the attack here.
    I do not know a great deal about stress disorders but I know it can effect people from all walks of life. You don’t need to be a white collar manager working long hours to get it, there seems to be a stigma about a working class person having stress issues.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Yeah your right. Lets go back to the good old days. Those Unions interfering and stopping free market economics. They are probably only illegal immigrants anyway.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Any of you lot ever worked in warehousing on a shop floor level.?

xiphon
    Free Member

11 miles is about the same as some posties.

They do it outside, in all weathers.

binners

And this is news? I did warehouse jobs exactly like this 20 years ago. It was exactly the same then. Amazon didn’t invent them. Minimum wage? Check. Walking miles? Check. Mind-numbing tedium. All present and correct

Sounds to me more like some middle class researcher at the BBC has just discovered that – SHOCK!!! HORROR!!!! – not everyone’s job is as cushy as his

If you want to moan about Amazon, moan about something worthwhile, like the tax they don’t pay! 🙄

scotroutes

“I managed to walk or hobble nearly eleven miles, just short of eleven miles last night. I’m absolutely shattered.

🙄

mikey3
    Free Member

I worked in this warehouse for 3 years,go me!!

khani
    Free Member

It’s not the miles walked its…..’You have thirty five seconds to pick this parcel.. Beep..beep..beep..beep..beep.. You have forty seconds to pick this parcel..beep..beep..beep..you have failed to pick this parcel in the allotted time.. You’re manager has been informed.. Beep..beep..beep’….. For ten hours.. Working for tax avoiding arseholes..
    I’d kill someone..

hockropper

I did this kind of job for a year at a book resller but not Amazon when I had been out of work and desperate for nearly 18 months.

It was the hardest job I’ve ever done, you’re on your feet for 8 hours 20 mins lunch break and two 10 min breaks. Up and down ladders, carrying books and totes in dirty conditions for minimum wage and no sick pay.

And because you’re not on a living wage you get topped up by the government so its subsidised . If you don’t hit your target of 600 books then you get a warning. Soul destroying

robdob
    Free Member

He was probably shattered because he’s a desk jockey normally. Took me six months to get used to the physical side of work when I started in retail, and that was only in a decent sized record shop. My wife works for one of the big UK retailers and one of her colleagues wore a pedometer one day and it reckoned she walked 8 miles every day.

In some ways I miss retail as I could eat anything and not put weight on. Now I eat carefully and because I’m not active it’s hard not to put weight on (in an office 80% of time).

Amazon looks like a decent place to work to me! Especially as a temp job at nights.

Making someone mentally I’ll? Get a grip! I’ve heard of more people off with stress in my current job in the last year than 12 years in retail.

winston_dog
    Free Member

It’s not the physical component that is the problem though

It’s the mental side of it.

The point I was making in the 1st post was that I would go and work in fast food outlet for a similar wage rather than do this.

11 miles is about the same as some posties.

A postie has good far better job than this, they can’t be compared.

martinhutch

TBH the main issue with these jobs is the lack of security.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/ed6a985c-70bd-11e2-85d0-00144feab49a.html#slide0

This was a much better, more insightful piece. Amazon rely too heavily on rotating agency staff or short-term contract staff rather than creating permanent positions.

Nevertheless, given a choice between this or call centre work in S Wales with that **** Nev, I’d be behind my little Amazon trolley in an instant. Call centre work is far more dehumanising IMO, and doesn’t use an extra 1000 calories a day.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Making someone mentally I’ll? Get a grip! I’ve heard of more people off with stress in my current job in the last year than 12 years in retail.

This is not high street retail though is it?

My Mrs works in retail and I know it can be quite a physical job but it is also social with a lot of interaction between staff and customers, not a bleeping bar code scanner.

binners

Have you ever actually been in Maccy D’s? You think that looks nice, stress free, highly paid, and relaxing?

If this kind of thing causes you mental illness then you’re clearly not equipped with the faculties to deal with modern living

5thElefant
    Free Member

Give it 20 years and the whole process will be mechanised. Get your hand-wringing in while you can.

Pigface
    Free Member

I know someone who works in this warehouse, he is a chippy by trade and work dried up so he went there. First 6 weeks he was broken, huge blisters on his feet, getting the worst runs etc. He stuck at it and got better runs and learnt the tricks and has now been taken on permanently as a supervisor. Turnover of staff is huge.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Health and Safety!

grum
    Free Member

Main issue for me is that a tax avoiding company making enormous profits doesn’t pay a living wage.

Why are we subsidising Amazon’s profits when they don’t even pay tax!?

soma_rich
    Free Member

They should have scooters with basket on the front, cure the mental issue as they would all have fun and speed up collections.

They could even build in little ramps to keep them entertained.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I don’t know. It sounds ok to me as far as agency work goes, at least you know what your goal for the day is.

I’d rather that than working down a mine.

chakaping
    Free Member

Got to laugh at the compulsive internet users telling actual hard-working people they’ve got it easy.

Because of the brilliant jobs they offer our citizens! Oh, hang on…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Have you ever actually been in Maccy D’s? You think that looks nice, stress free, highly paid, and relaxing?

Yep, I’ve even worked in them – plus I’ve also done precisely this kind of warehousing job. The two aren’t even remotely, vaguely, slightly comparable. If I were to end up losing my job and not be able to find another I’d happily work in retail, including fast food, but I’d try my absolute best to avoid warehousing work.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s the mental side of it.

TBH the main issue with these jobs is the lack of security.

Sounds like a normal job in the private sector, and the stress issues of having to get to the next parcel in x number of seconds sound quite trivial.

Give them rollerblades…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d rather do it than digging up corpses in recent former war zones to try to find gold teeth.

jfletch
    Free Member

Because the economy relies on it.

Might not be right but its unavoidable in the current set up. Without the governement subsidising jobs like this then we can’t have our cheap consumer products but we also miss out on cheap essentials like food (don’t kid your self that every warehouse isn’t like this). So if we stop subsidising these jobs the cost of living goes up which means a living wage now needs to be even higher.

It might not be right but we are so far down that road.

richmtb

I worked in retail for a good few year, mixture of roles including a bit of warehouse work during busy periods to help out.

It can be physically demanding dirty work. I don’t envy anyone who has to do it full time. There are definitely easier ways to earn minimum wage

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’d rather do it than digging up corpses in recent former war zones to try to find gold teeth

At least you won’t have a hand held terminal telling you that you have ’60…45….30…seconds’ to find your next gold tooth.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Why? 1st World Miners, whats left of them, are skilled workers who have well paid jobs, generally with a decent package, pension etc. They have a physical job, work in shitty conditions and are paid to reflect that. Some may say not paid enough, some say paid too much.

I would work down the pit before those warehouses.

Woody
    Free Member

Amazon said the safety of its workers was its “number one priority.”

As a non-shareholder, I’m delighted to hear that 8)

Give it 20 years and the whole process will be mechanised. Get your hand-wringing in while you can

Its proably cheaper to pay disposable staff the minimum wage than invest in the automation. But then thes staff aren’t really human are they? just economic units in a process. And when they break there are plenty of cheap replacements.

I wouldn’t like to work at a place where the company places more value in the hand held scanner than the person holding it.

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Nevertheless, given a choice between this or call centre work in S Wales with that **** Nev, I’d be behind my little Amazon trolley in an instant

I know someone who used to work for Amazon – I also know someone who works in the ‘Call Centre’ albeit in HR. The one at the call centre enjoys her job and says the boss is a real character and there is a good atmosphere at work. The one at Amazon said the opposite.

mrmo
    Free Member

Sounds like a normal job in the private sector, and the stress issues of having to get to the next parcel in x number of seconds sound quite trivial.

Nothing further from the truth.

If you have a contract with notice etc. trying to compare it with agency, where they can and do fire on the spot!

As for x seconds, they will have calculated how long it takes, want a drink tough. Not sure what they do about toilet breaks, but have known places time people on that one. Too many or too long and your fired.

TBH the mileage walked isn’t really an issue, you do get used to it. Place i worked the job was walking back and forth 5-8m on the end of a steel mill for 8 hours. Concrete floor steel top cap boots what fun!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve done loads of warehouse jobs in the past.
    As has been said, its physically hard & mentally draining cos its so dull.

MTFU.

piemonster

Quite looking forward to reading this later.

Just for the record my last stint in a proper warehouse. Entry level pay on my (day time) shift was £18k.

11 miles isnt that far, I took it as a job benefit. Not a negative.

Flaperon

I did ware-housing work for a summer. You either learn to switch your brain off and get through the day or you don’t. Minimum wage? Check. It’s not difficult, just tedious.

Grum makes an excellent point about subsidising the payroll of a tax-dodging corporate behemoth that’s putting smaller companies out of business, but all we can do is not buy from Amazon.

The “I’ve got blisters so can’t come in” bunch would be unlikely to last in any job. Wear thicker socks.

martinhutch

I know someone who used to work for Amazon – I also know someone who works in the ‘Call Centre’ albeit in HR. The one at the call centre enjoys her job and says the boss is a real character and there is a good atmosphere at work. The one at Amazon said the opposite.

I certainly believe you. That was my own perspective – I’d find the call centre work soul-destroying because of the constant need for fake human interaction. I’d much prefer the anonymous picking job, however more physically demanding it was.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Amazon working conditions’ is closed to new replies.