Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Queen Elizabeth Forest
  • Resin42
    Free Member

I'm going to be spending Sunday in Queen Elizabeth Forest while my girlfriend goes swimming in the Lake of Menteith. I wondered if anyone knew if there is any decent, techy singletrack to go play on up there and whereabouts to find it. I've heard rumours of it but all I can find are fireroad and landrover track routes.

Anyone feel like sharing some hidden gems?

RealMan
    Free Member

Go to the main visitor centre. Go past it on the road on the right. Eventually there is a field on your left, go left on the road just before that field, a trail starts on the left. Follow it.

DT78
    Free Member

There is a waymarked loop which is not bad, it's riding pretty fast at the moment. I go there for training it's got some pretty harsh climbs and is a good workout. A lap takes about 25mins for me. There is other stuff around there but I tend to be disappointed so I just stick to the route.

RealMan
    Free Member

There is other stuff around there but I tend to be disappointed so I just stick to the route.

I thought velocity had built a load of pretty decent trails around there? I haven't seen them myself though.

jrb

Try this link http://www.squadraporcini.com/3.html don't know the state of it now but might be worth a shot but probably not technical enough!!

DT78
    Free Member

I don't know the area well enough so often either get lost or find something that starts off good but then ends in a deadend. Reckon if you get a local to show you round it would be good.

For me I have limited time so I just blast round the way marked loop it's good enough for my fix.

Watch out if its wet as it's quite slippy and watch out for moron's walking up the final descent with dogs….it's happened to me more than once.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

There's some really nice stuff around Aberfoyle. Here is the link to another thread where I describe a really nice route I did which has a bit of everything:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/biking-in-queen-elizabeth-park

Techy singletrack can be found up behind David Marshall Lodge (DML). There's at least 2 downhill type trails there and rumour has it that there's more such stuff in this area. There's meant to be some really steep trails on the opposite side of the valley from DML.

Go to the main visitor centre. Go past it on the road on the right. Eventually there is a field on your left, go left on the road just before that field, a trail starts on the left. Follow it.

Where exactly? Thanks

RealMan
    Free Member

Go on google maps. Type in queen elizabeth country park. There should be an icon, D, on a bus stop type symbol. Slightly to the right of that is a bunch of cars, and a road that loops round on itself. To the right of the loop in the road, is a fork in the road. The trail start is on the left near that fork.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Go on google maps. Type in queen elizabeth country park

Thanks but that park is at the opposite end of the country. Resin 42 is on about Queen Elizabeth Forest near Aberfoyle in Scotland.

RealMan
    Free Member

Then completely ignore everything I've said, lol. From the lap times and such it sounds ridiculously similar, didn't even realise there was another one.

DT78
    Free Member

Ah yes ignore me as well – I thought you meant QE near me down south. Sorry!

vim_fuego
    Free Member

There is a round of the SXC being held at Aberfoyle in about a months time, might be worth seeing what trail they use.

Resin42
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, even those in the wrong end of the country. 😀

Did a bit more googling myself and did find something for Doon Hill near Aberfoyle but found very little telling me what it's like, although it seems a heat of the scu xc was held there but I can't tell when. Really tough to find any info on this area.

The stuff behind the DML sounds perfect and GiantJaunt's trail would be worth a look. Looks like I'll have plenty to keep me busy.

Cheers troops

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Queen Elizabeth Forest’ is closed to new replies.