Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Quantocks group ride help?
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

A few of us from my local MTB group are thinking of trying to put together a trip to the Quantocks. We've got maps but we were hoping to find some fun stuff to ride, so some local knowledge might be in order.

Just wondering if there are any locals who might be interested in leading our group around. No particular date in mind, but aiming for the end of October, probably going up friday, doing a long ride on the Saturday and a shorter one on the Sunday. The group would be of pretty strong riders, not super fast, but good at the techy stuff.

Anybody fancy giving us some help and putting together a fun weekend?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I might be able to come out on one of those sessions. I know the Qs reasonably well as I'm Mendip based and visit quite a bit. But am no means a Guru as I'm still finding interesting new trails on every visit- mind you there are bazillions of 'em.

The top trail guides are knottie8, Sharki, Jambo and Dibbs.

Y'know you could add-in some ace Exmoor action for variety. It's really close, you could probably shell Minehead from Beacon Hill.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i say this every time but give sponging machine a mail, he likes guiding around there

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Thanks for the link (and the bump!) Muddypuddle, but I have loads of maps, but I am sure you will agree that maps don't help too much when it comes to findng the real fun stuff 😉 And also its good to be able to ride, with out having to stop to map check every few minutes.

Buzz, if you wanted to join that would be great. Yes I have heard Exmoor is great, might make a good 2nd day, although I think for this trip we want to conquer the Quantocks!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"conquer the Quantocks"

Not possible mate. A very surprising amount of singletrack in a small space. But you might get a bit bored doing the standard re-ascents over and over.

"don't help too much when it comes to findng the real fun stuff"

To be fair, many of the bridleways into named combes on the OS25k are ace singletracks. If you want an impression, take look at the west end of the range (near the sea) on Google maps.

I still rate Smith's Combe highly despite it being shortish and with an evil climb out. I prefer zooming through tight scrabbly corners to ultra-steep or jumps.

trailmonkey

There's certainly enough on the Quantocks to make weekend out of. I wouldn't personally give up a day on the Q's to ride on Exmoor. If you can get a guide to show you the woodland stuff around Triscombe as well as the usual coombes then there's a huge variety of trails on offer from fast and swoopy (read nature's trail centre) to tight and twitchy. The Triscombe stuff isn't marked on the map so you'll def need a guide for that.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

the woodland stuff around Triscombe

Yeah that's my blank-spot-on-the-map. You'll need one of the others for that.

woodsman
    Free Member

The Q's are ace – I've been twice and got lost twice!

Zm – would the guide get free cake, and as much post ride beer or cider as they can consume!? 😉

Zukemonster
    Free Member

I am sure we would be providing cake and drinks !

sharki
    Free Member

*pricks up ears*

knottie8
    Free Member

Cake ? ……

Zukemonster
    Free Member

So guys when would be a good weekend for some cake / superb single track 😉 ?

Do you prefer homemade cake?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cake is cake!

Consumption is all. Details of it's production are irrelevant. 😀

woodsman
    Free Member

Rich's cider – mmm! 😈

sharki
    Free Member

Rich's farm store is ace, turn up and sample the cider and keep sampling till you know for sure which one you like…then fall over!

charlierevell
    Free Member

Should be free most saturdays apart from Roc D Azur weekend and the weekend of the 24th (Im at Afan)
    Otherwise I should be able to let you follow me round a good selection of natural and manmade trails!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I am more likely to be able to cover the short session on the Sunday. But you might have done all the good stuff I know by then 😀

Guides: shall we divide a conquer the routes to avoid totally repeating each other? For example: I'd prefer to cover combes out of Holford which I know reasonably well, and I'd rather not cover Triscombe and the Great Wood which is the area I know the least about.

OP: have you decided which weekend yet?

charlierevell
    Free Member

I can do a loop to give some different more tech descents in the coombes but wouldnt want to avoid them totally. The whole day in triscombe/Great wood would be just like an uplift day without the uplifts!

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Thanks for the offers of support guys!

We've been discussing some dates and it looks like it would be good for the weekend of the 31st oct/1st nov.

Would be travelling up saturday morning, so would be looking to do a shorter ride, say 12-4pm on the saturday, (followed by beer/cider/cake) then a long sunday ride (all day) … cue more beer/cider/cake and more cake…. Some of us might try to fit in another ride on the monday morning before travelling back!

Do any of these sound like a possibility for any of you guys? We would really appreciate the help! Obviously if any of you fancy coming down to our patch (south downs / brighton / tilgate) we would be happy to return the favour!

Really looking forward to this, I got a taster of the quantocks a few months ago, but was loaded up with camping gear, so couldn't really enjoy the fun stuff!

PS If any of you prefer to email me about it my address is alex at bigbandjazz.co.uk

Ta

charlierevell
    Free Member

I should be good for the saturday, Im sure I can think of a good 4hour blast.

sharki
    Free Member

Bring lights boys.

There's a slim chance of a halloween ride on the sat eve followed by a fancy dress party in the Hood arms in the night, theme is 'Rocky horror', i'll be in Gold pants and a blonde wig.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

oooo sharki, now you're talking! Sounds like a great plan.

Charlie: Great news, its sill a way off I know, but I'm starting to get excited about this!

We're just looking for somewhere to stay, a place called the Cider House has been suggested, any good?

sharki
    Free Member

Cider house for B&B is good, as is the Hood, which is dearer but proper MTB friendy and a stagger from the otter head.

Coach house in Bicknoller is good if not so near to life in the form of a good pub.
    Also in Nether Stowey is the rose and crown, he gets Groups stay there inc saddle skedaddle.

woodsman
    Free Member

sharki, is the Hood the pub on the main road? It doesn't look that enticing from memory? ta

sharki
    Free Member

Yes, the Hood arms is on the main road in Kilve, not Holford.

What makes a pub enticing to you?

The hood has: good beer, good food, good freindly staff, banter, large breasted waitress'

Also a kids play area in garden, baules(sp?), bar billiards and old school pinball board(piece of wood with nails in).

The Plough in Holford however has ok beer, poor unfriendly service and no atmosphere.

woodsman
    Free Member

You're making it sound enticing now!

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Pete

sharki
    Free Member

Hmmm!
    I knew you'd like a bit of boules. 😉

woodsman
    Free Member

Thanks again sharki, I've just googled them, it's not the place I had in my mind – it looks really nice! Sent them an email regarding the 31st weekend – part of Zukemonsters group. 🙂

Pete

sharki
    Free Member

Cool, that weekend they will have the fancy dress evening, the staff are going as Rocky horror characters which should be funny, of course i'm sure it's not essential for all to dress up but i will just because i like that kind of wierdness.

As for the Halloween ride, not sure what's happening with that. I think it'll be a last minute planned thing as last year i spent and few weeks planning something and nothing happened.

aleigh
    Free Member

i might be pinching a couple of the q's lads that weekend haha! hope you don't mind 😆

woodsman
    Free Member

Aleigh, what have you got going on for the 31st weekend. If it's in the Q's we could join you for one of the days perhaps?

sharki – as long as we have a guide for the day, who will be well fed and watered with ale or cider of course, fancy dress or not we don't mind.

I'm not sure what Zukemonster has arranged with anyone – he's chief organiser for this one…..

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Haha, chief organiser… lol

Nothing organised apart from what we have here…. If there is another ride going on would seem good to join it if it was that kind of thing.

So it looks like we have 1 volunteer guide for the Sat PM with Charlierevell and possibility of a night Ride with Sharki, so now we just need a guide/route for Sunday. (I am starting to think some sore legs might be happening… )

Just checking, is the ride in fancy dress, or just the party… 🙂 ?

I've been looking at the accomodation, problem is most of the B&B's don't have many twin rooms, we'll have to get an idea of numbers soon.

I'm hoping to make the night ride tonight, Pete, so we can chat then maybe.

woodsman
    Free Member

That's your new role that is – Chief! 😉

I've contacted the cider house, they have accom, and waiting for the Hood to get back to me – only emailed them today.

I won't be making the night ride, going to head out local again. Give me a call/text if you fancy a bimble over the forest tomorrow late afternoon/early eve Alex.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"we just need a guide/route for Sunday"

Yeah I think I can do that. I expect Sharki and Charlie will have ripped your legs off on Saturday.
    🙂

sharki
    Free Member

I'm not even sure i can ride due to bike issues(personal thing).

However i'll endevour to make plans and borrow something suitable for a weekends riding. Then i can drag you round for as long as you can handle.

No doubt Sunday maybe a gentle effort due to the possible consumption of otter head, although riding can have a sobering affect.

Consider you weekend guided so just sort out yer digs and the rest is covered.

My addy is in profile if you need owt else.

aleigh
    Free Member

I'm escaping to Afan for the weekend hopefully. I often frequent the Q's though so could meet up another time?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sharki – if your bikeless but want to ride Sunday, I can bring a spare bike.
    Aleigh – of course

sharki
    Free Member

cheers buzz, i'll know the situation nearer the time, i will be looking at borrowing a patriot for the weekend if not.

Now that's a fair contrast to what i'm used too, though if it gots wheels i can ride it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"borrowing a patriot for the weekend "

I was going to loan you my new HT – a newly built-up Chris Boardman Team. I think the patriot wins!

But how will you cope with all those gears? 🙂

woodsman
    Free Member

The Hood if fully booked alas – The Olde Cider House is a contender at the mo, I'll look into the others mentioned too.

We should have some numbers after the weekend.

Thanks guides' – we're looking forward to some singletrack Q's style and the cider of course!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks group ride help?’ is closed to new replies.