Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Quantock Single-Track
  • DJ
    Free Member

Afternoon All,

I ride on the Quantocks regularly and was just thinking about the single-track options up there. I tend to ride the main stuff but also like exploring and looking for new trails.

Does anyone know of any different single-track action up there? The ones that spring to mind are the track that follows the road down from Triscombe Stone (my personal favourite), Sharki and Jambo’s trail, Sam’s Track (both varients of single-track), Great Bear and the small track opposite Great Wood Camp. What else is out there? Help would be appreciated.

I’m off up there for an explore tomorrow. Planning on going off the beaten track.

Cheers

sharki
    Free Member

Frog combe(roller coaster) opposite side to the main run. Bincombe.Bottom of smiths combe is singletrack and awesome. Most of Weacombe. Stert combe top section is. Lowsey thorn is singletrack if not official or easy to find for that matter.

Um! were else….

Loads of the DH trails in cockercombe are in effect singletrack. 🙂

descent off lower hare knapp, in fact both of them have fantastic sections of singletrack. Holly bush is a giggle too though gets a bit sloppy in the winter months as does Willoughbys cleeve.
    Ladies edge is nice but beware is very commonly used as a climb..

There are more. Gawd i miss the boring limited trails of the Q’s.

DJ
    Free Member

Thanks Sharki,

I’m gonna have an explore around Cockercombe tomorrow as never really been down there.

I’ve done Weacombe (awesome) and Smiths, aswell as Frog and Stert/Somerton. Done Lower Hare Knapp , that is good. Haven’t done Lowsey Thorn but I know where that is on the map, does it drop into Slaughterhouse? Where is Holly Bush?

Found one up near St Davids Well Spring which was quick and tight.

Pooley
    Free Member

Ok then, so if you’re going to be in the Cockercombe area, a favourite of mine, although more double track, but at speed only really one line down, is due south from the gravel pits just below Wills neck. Also in that area, but you may need to be shown, two descents from the Slades into Aisholt. Enjoy

DJ
    Free Member

Pooley, I’m not a big downhiller, I like the smoother stuff generally as I not that technically gifted! Are there many easyish routes down around Cockercombe. I’ve heard a lot of talk of the Slades but isn’t that the serious stuff.

sharki
    Free Member

DJ, Cockercombe although being run in and worked over by the DH’ers vary in smoothness a lot. North of the bottom fire road, they are tight, twisty and rooty and pretty steep in parts. South of the bottom(forest track) they are a touch smoother with many line choices, once again fairly steep but more open than the other side.

Holly bush is best found after doing the lower hare knapp descent north descent. When you pop out onto the wide grass track after the tight twisty fun section turn right to ascend south again, after about 100m look for a holly tree on your left, there’s a trail head there, that trail will bring you out at the bumps(grassy area at the bottom of Holford combe by the gate)

Lowsey comes out along side the bottom section of Slaughterhouse, past the fallen tree after the sharp left hander.

The single track traverse around the edge and east of stert heading north and traversing the western flank of higher hare knapp is a lovely ride when it’s dry. Just follow it north and let it link you up with the westwards descent from the knapp into Hodders.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Quantock Single-Track’ is closed to new replies.