Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Quangos
  • aracer
    Free Member

Looking at the “to be abolished” list, there are a few where I wonder why on earth did we need that in the first place:

Advisory Board on the Registration of Homeopathic Products – Reconstitute as a Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) committee of experts

Surely you just need one doctor saying “it doesn’t work”.

There are a few more, but anybody else spotted good ones (or am I the only person sad enough to be browsing the list?)

IanMunro
    Free Member

I love the way the spin on this has changed from Saving tax payers money, to making government more accountable 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There are a few theyve already got rid of that are coming back too…………

Day 1: Why do we have a QUANGO for buying PC’s for schools, surely they can do that themselves?

A few days ago: We need to centeralize buying to reduce costs.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s great! 🙂

project
    Free Member

Heres a linky to the Quangos and the ones being quangoised out of existence,

http://www.number10.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010-10-14-Public-bodies-list-FINAL.pdf

28 pages but interesting reading, all in a itemised format.

Kuco

This one sounded like fun 😀

The Government Hospitality Advisory Committee on the Purchase of Wines will also be abolished, but ministers are considering whether another body should continue its work.

brakes
    Free Member

the Government Hospitality Advisory Committee on the purchase of Wines sounds like a good one to be part of (hic)

CaptJon
    Free Member

The recommendation to get a National Trust-like charity to manage the waterways is scary.

hoykalot
    Free Member

What the hell is a Quango???

Kuco

quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation

hoykalot
    Free Member

Thank you kuco. Anything with such a long convoluted name should be
    Scrapped

CaptJon
    Free Member

aka non-departmental public body…

Kuco

Thats okay, shame I work for one of them 🙂

hoykalot
    Free Member

Sorry dude if I had known that I would have stopped at thank you

Kuco

Nah don’t worry were joke about it at work 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Anything with such a long convoluted name should be Scrapped

Oh. Bye bye BBC, Ordnance Survey, British Library, Channel 4 – I’d miss you, though it seems hoykalot wouldn’t.

CountZero

British Waterways are really keen to be separate from government interference, according to a bloke on the telly tonight.

br
    Free Member

Quango – spends tax payers money but not accountable to Parliment…

Junkyard
    Free Member

bw please god no they cannot organise for sh1t they make council workers look lik ethey have a work ethic.
    they are restricted on charges and legally bound to maintain stuff. They can probably jsut see pund signs as they overcharge boaters – about £200 per ten foot of boat per year at present + mooring fees. was about £50 ten year ago

Kuco

I heard a couple of months ago BW were wanting to go to a Trust. They are very keen on getting the Navigation on the River Nene off the Environment Agency but that will also mean dealing with the water regulating (flood prevention)side of it as well.

JulianA
    Free Member

CaptJon – Member
    The recommendation to get a National Trust-like charity to manage the waterways is scary.

Why?

Are you saying that NT do a bad job?

Sounds as though there’s a lot of dross going. Good thing too.

JulianA
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    The Government Hospitality Advisory Committee on the Purchase of Wines will also be abolished, but ministers are considering whether another body should continue its work.

I trust you won’t be disadvantaged CFH 😉

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on BW… bunch of incompetent muppets! They have spent so much time and effort touting the “third sector”(charity). Good luck to them!
    Boaters on the other hand…. really the best answer would be to drain the bloody thing and fill it in. 👿

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Julian, my personal cellar is well stocked! 😉

redthunder
    Free Member

I think they are a great little van, I’d buy one!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

redthunder – Member
    I think they are a great little van, I’d buy one!

*applauds!*

kimbers

why is it better to have a trust running things rather than a quango?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Quango – spends tax payers money but not accountable to Parliment…

They are.

They are accountable to Parliament via the Minister responsible for the department. And they are accountable for the money voted by Parliament through Departmental Select Committees and the Public Accounts Committee.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My personal favourite is the Construction Industry Training Board being transferred over to the private sector.

Because of course the private construction sector is deeply concerned that young jobless school leavers should be given the opportunity to learn a skill/trade.

Despite the fact that it is much cheaper and easier for them to import cheap already trained skilled labour from eastern Europe and elsewhere.

*rolls eyes*

….pure unadulterated vandalism

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Quangos’ is closed to new replies.