Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • quadrocopter – who's got one ?
  • aracer
    Free Member

All this talk of flying FPV – bear in mind that it’s actually illegal to fly FPV in this country (without a primary pilot who has visual contact with the aircraft and ready to take control if your camera link fails).

househusband
    Free Member

This amazed me:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp89tTDxXuI[/video]

Been toying with building one…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crazy-legs

My Hubsan X4 arrived today. 🙂 Dinky little thing but seems pretty well made for £35.

Only had a little play with it so far, got it into a steady(ish) hover but it needs some more work on the trim functions to get it to a truly stable hover. Good fun though, dead easy to fly right from the box – 20 minute charge on the LiPo battery and away you go!

d3fm3ch
    Free Member

My Hubsan X4 arrived today. Dinky little thing but seems pretty well made for £35.

It is pretty solid except: There is a design flaw with the motors. I’ve broken 5, yes 5, in two days! If the quadcopter crashes heavily upside down it’ll most probably break the motors. The central rod in the motor gets pushed though the feeble plastic base and then it’s useless. I’ve even had this happen with crashes a few inches of the ground.

I’ve just ordered a full set of replacement motors to get mine back up and running. I do love it. Just wished it was more crash proof. Especially as a novice.

richmars

With the Hubsan, make sure you turn the transmitter on first, and connect the battery on the quadrocoper with it level.

look here.

Mikkel
    Free Member

i read various blogs about the controler boards. then settled for one due to its cheap price and lcd screen.
    then picked a esc and motor combo which are cheap, it fly on 3cell lipos.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Just realised that you probably ment guides to how to assemble the whole thing. There is some but its very specific to the frames, it is dead simple though. and if wanting to go for the cheap frame i have used, i can easily make a simple guide with some pictures if needed.

eugeo81
    Free Member

This thread is dangerous.. And who ever posted the hobbyking link has a lot to answer for (My other half is going to go mental when my 4 packages from HongKong eventually turn up) 😆

Looks like I’m building a F450 framed FPV explorer! I even bought a Hubsan X4 to train on while all the parts turn up.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Good luck with the build 🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

OMFG a £100!!

I am so going to build one in the summer for some GoPro action!! Already have a transmitter, receiver and Lipo’s!

As above, this thread is dangerous and amazing! :mrgreen:

monkeyboyjc

quick update on mine – its ready to fly, just needs the battery and transmitter/reciver, oh and the camera mount.
    However i’m skint this month so its on hold – i’m hoping to have it flying for Bikefest in June.

willard

JC, you’d better make sure you get the parts list for yours up, that looks very tidy!

monkeyboyjc

here you go:

x525 frame (£13 Ebay)
    4x Emax MT2213 motors / 9.5″ props, which should give a max thrust of 3.4KG (about £10.50 each Ebay)
    4x hobby king 30a ESC’s (£6 each ish – Hobbyking)
    1x hobby king power octocopter distribution board (£4 – Hobbyking)
    1x Hobbyking KK2.0 flight control board (£20 – Hobbyking)

oh and a small Wico sandwich tub covered in carbon fiber vinyl wrap to protect the fight board.

i also have a 200mm landing gear set on order so the SLR can go under it.

The original idea was to route the wiring through the tubing of the frame and mount the esc’s on the under side, but there wasnt enough space with the mounting blots. So i’ve mounted the esc’s inside the frame where there is just enough room.

eventualy i’ll buy 4 more motor / esc sets and convert it into a octocopter (hense the power board).

stuarty
    Free Member

Got myself one of these at the weekend
    Hard hat needed
    Mad as **** in stunt mode esp indoors
    Hell 3 times the size of the hubsan
    quadcopter linky
    The light and silly cowling realy help working which way is the front

Mikkel
    Free Member

anyone want to buy the Motors, ESC, Flight controller and power distribution board listed in one of my previous posts?
    going to upgrade so its going spare soon.

Steve77
    Free Member

These look great. Can you get a decent one that would carry a gopro for under £100? Do they come as kits or do you have to buy all the parts separately?

Mikkel
    Free Member

The one i have, and am trying to sell parts for, was used with my gopro.
    You can buy kits but they are more expensive than building one from scratch.

crazy-legs

stuarty, that looks like a good next step from my Hubsan X4. 🙂

bearnecessities

I never even knew these existed until 2mins ago.

Obviously being a child, I now want one. How powerful would it need to be to lift a cat?

andytherocketeer

Anyone got/used one of these Quadshot copters that’s both a quadcopter and flying wing?

Fully computer controlled, and can transition between copter and plane mode. Thought it was quite clever having nifty features like altitude detection so it can adjust the rotor control loops for different air densities etc.

crazy-legs

Just ordered one of those Twister Quadcopters that stuarty linked to ^^

Got reasonably proficient with the Hubsan X4 so something a bit bigger would be a good next step. Also, I’m off work injured so the internet shopping has started…

nbt

Dibs on the hubsan 🙂

monkeyboyjc

almost finished – just batteries to go. It’s been a bit of a slow ‘in the back ground’ project, but its getting there…..

cranberry
    Free Member

what country are you invading ?

toppers3933
    Free Member

My Team Black Sheep discovery is almost finished. A rather long term build project but its getting there. Have all the parts but no time to get it finished.

crazy-legs

So I’ve been flying that Twister thingy around the place a bit. Can get it round the house and I flew it at the indoor BMX track at Manchester the other day (where it was properly ace) and I tried flying it outside this morning but even the gentle breeze cause a few problems and it crashed a couple of times.

And now I accidently appear to have stumbled across some more quadcopter websites. I haven’t quite got to the point where I’ve accidently input my card details but I can see this one getting expensive…

Great fun though – that Twister indoors in a big space with no wind is brilliant. There were a few people stuck their heads round the doors, probably hoping to see some BMXers in action and instead there’s some idiot playing with his chopper which must have surprised them a bit.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Got my RTF Phantom a couple of weeks ago- really easy to fly.

Here is a little film;

[video]http://youtu.be/z2a_ZaWiXAw[/video]

http://youtu.be/z2a_ZaWiXAw

mangatank
    Free Member

With the RTF Phantom, can you just program in a GPS route and it’ll track that, and follow pre-set height settings too?

willard

Topper, you bought a TBS Discovery? Good (albeit expensive) choice!

toppers3933
    Free Member

I love it. Although I decked it from altitude a few weeks ago and (only) broke an arm. Have the replacement but no time to repair it at the moment. Go pro mounted on the front I do some filming with it. It gets good footage of the steam trains that run next door to my shop.

Olly
    Free Member

http://microdrone.co.uk/index.html

i got one of these for my birthday this year. (its more expensive than i expected actually)

Its TINY!

also, this particular one i found very good!

its hard to fly, but its solid! ive crashed it into concrete in every direction, every way up, poked it out of trees with a long stick (and it hit every branch on the way down) and its still fine. very cool!

not as impressive as some of those other badboys though!

philtricklebank

And now this must be done again

Orvillecopter

[video]http://youtu.be/rypyjJCtGBE[/video]

eviljoe
    Free Member

Mangatank- I don’t think so . The GPS is just to keep it stopped in one place when you are not actively controlling it . I think there may be an advanced option to allow you to do this, but I think you have to pay for it (haven’t read all the bumf yet) . Also, I think you are supposed to keep it line of site, technically…

crazy-legs

With the RTF Phantom, can you just program in a GPS route and it’ll track that, and follow pre-set height settings too?

Mangatank: no.
    For things like that you need this:
    http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/

Open source coding for radio controlled craft – they do stuff for single and multi-rotor aircraft. Basically means building your own which is a shame cos the Phantom looks ideal in every other respect – I was looking at getting one for ages having already got a Hubsan, a Twister and a Parrot AR Drone

Initially bought the Hubsan and the Twister as a cheap way of learning to fly quads (the idea being to move on to a Phantom) but I’ve kind of put off buying it cos of the limitations on route planning – it needs direct input, the GPS is simply there to allow it to hover in one spot and to Return-To-Base (if it goes out of range or the controller dies it climbs to 60ft, returns to the spot it took off from and auto-lands).

wiggles
    Free Member

I quite fancy getting one but a bit of a slippery slope to start on…
    Already spent enough on my wheeled rc’s

And I read about someones phantom flying off in the distance never to be seen again 😮

might as well just attach your wallet to a weather balloon if that’s going to happen

huws
    Free Member

I think this might be the bottom of the slippery slope.

My brother’s work one.

vinnyeh

No idea whether this has been posted or not, but worth a look.

[video]http://youtu.be/w2itwFJCgFQ[/video]

toppers3933
    Free Member

Slightly cheaper alternative to the phantom. Supposed to be pretty good.

350qx

grim168
    Free Member

Just found the little husban now comes with fpv

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘quadrocopter – who's got one ?’ is closed to new replies.