Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • QR15 upgrad for TALAS
  • oomidamon

I’m getting my 07 TALAS forks serviced and can get Mojo to fit a new set of QR15 lower legs too. Anyone use them? Is the difference noticable compared to standard QR?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Depends what mad price Mojo are going to charge you for that pleasure?

coatesy
    Free Member

If you’ve got the money, do it. They really do tighten up the front end compared to the earlier forks that I had.

oomidamon

£130 for a new set of lowers, which I don’t think is too bad.

Swello
    Free Member

I’m interested in this – I’ve got the 08 Talas and when I get them serviced, this is something I’d definitely consider….

Q
    Free Member

You’ll end up with a different colour crown to your lowers!! 😮

coatesy
    Free Member

You may then start a trend.

oomidamon

You’ll end up with a different colour crown to your lowers!!

I’m sure I’ll cope….

ton

i have a pair of fox float r with 15mm bolt thru.
    they seem a bit flimsy for me compared to pikes…
    anyone wanna buy em.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Might be interested depending on price, condition, caliper fitting etc. Email timsellors[at]googlemail[dot]com

ton

look over there——->

matt_outandabout

I have F120mm RL QR15s and they are fabby – so stiff and direct compared to my Reba 29’s. Tonight we were on cheeky steep rocky stuff – and it was great being able to cross ruts / sloping rocks etc and just be able to put the wheel exactly where you want it. The QR15 is quicker than a normal QR to do/undo as well. I wouldn’t want to go back to normal QR – for me its like discs, trigger shifters and spds – moved the riding on another notch.

momo

oomidamon, don’t forget that the new lowers will be post mount rather than IS for the brake mount.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Budget for a front wheel rebuild with a QR15 hub as well

djglover
    Free Member

Very very good forks, compared to Flexrelease, do it. I’d not run a QR fork again

vinnyeh

Budget for a front wheel rebuild with a QR15 hub as well

or £15 for an adaptor if you’ve got a pro2 wheel.

oomidamon

Cheers all, I’ve decided to go for it. I’ve got a Pro2 wheel, so £15 adaptor it is. Post mount brake adaptor ordered too.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

isn’t that a crazy idea given Fox forks have a habit of wearing the stanchions too?? you’ll be replacing the lowers and the oil, then the uppers later. What will be left, the lock out lever??

ton

mine are for sale———–>

barrykellett
    Free Member

I seen some whacky german review that proved there was sod all difference in leg deflection between QR15 and QR on the new fox forks.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

DO IT!!

I had my Float RLC ’07s done 2 weeks ago. Service + Lowers £220, Hope Pro II 15mm conversion kit £16, Hope Brake Post Mount £10.

The nice people at Mojo even replaced my crown and steerer as a good will jesture (I knew nothing of this until forks arrived back). So I’m now the proud owner of some shiny black Float RLCs.

Although I didn’t really notice much difference the first couple of rides (due to the conditions, speed and environment I was riding in) I’ve started to sense they offer more stiffness, security and have been able to hold my lines better in sections of my local loop where I’d get pinged about or drift.

I’m please with the outlay anyway. Decided for a performance outlay and got a cosmetic one thrown in for good measure.

nicko74

Does anyone offer a similar service for RS forks (eg Revs to Maxle dropouts), or are the lowers incompatible?

nickegg
    Free Member

barrykellett – Member
    I seen some whacky german review that proved there was sod all difference in leg deflection between QR15 and QR on the new fox forks.

Thats bullpoo! I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that there is a big difference. I’ve been riding converted forks for 6 months and they are a vast improvement over 9mm QR. I took my partners 9mm QR forked Yeti out for a 30 miler on tuesday and the difference was plain to see(feel).

barrykellett
    Free Member

The test I read…
    Make your own mind up

matt_outandabout

Its amazing what you can do with numbers and graphs – as nickegg says, there is a big difference when riding.

Interestingly, that test does show a big difference in rear end stiffness using 12/12/maxle instead of QR systems…hmmmm

I am already waiting / hoping that Hope / someone will produce a bolt through rear for standard dropouts and a Pro2…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I find my F120s a bit wibbly at steering compared with my old TORAs (though better in every other respect) and was thinking about a QR15 upgrade. But it’s loads of cash and the benefit seems marginal.

IA

“I am already waiting / hoping that Hope / someone will produce a bolt through rear for standard dropouts and a Pro2…”

They do. Buy a 10mm thru axle pro2 kit from hope, and a 10mm RWS thru axle from DT.

matt_outandabout

Yes, read that thread – cost is *ahem* a lot….

IA

Well it’s the axle that costs yeah? Some bikes use 10mm thru QRs (some of the 6″ commencals) or 10mm thru axles – hence why hope make the hub. Get one of those axles cheaper than a RWS maybe?

cymohndee
    Free Member

Hey nicko74,

I read that this years Revs just have last years Pike lowers to all intents and purposes. As the weight difference between last years air Pikes (2023g) and this years Revs with Maxle(1998g)is so small. I’d just get some second hand Pikes. Fox are ahead of the game here, it seem Rockshox got caught out and just cobbled together the Rev Maxle.

matt_outandabout

I agree IA – I am hunting.

Richyb
    Free Member

Ive run some QR15’s 32 floats for the last 6 months and ive got to say I haven’t noticed much difference over my old standard quick release versions to be honest although my opinion might be affected by me having a set of 36’s in between which are on a different planet stiffness wise. Gonna get some more of them for the summer.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘QR15 upgrad for TALAS’ is closed to new replies.