Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Putting utensils in the dishwasher
  • SaxonRider

Is anyone else on here a bit uptight as to how utensils should be put in the basket in the dishwasher?

I was taught ‘handle-side down’, as the usable bit stood above the grate and had a better chance of getting cleaned.

Plus, it is easier to put them away afterward, as you can instantly see which utensil you are laying hold of.

These things are important, but my kids just don’t seem to get it. Especially as Mrs SR was brought up on one of those liberal households where nothing mattered, and so she does little to support me when I rant about it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Teaspoons handle side up. Everything else handle side down.

Flaperon

Handle side up has always worked for me.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

and so she does little to support me when I rant about it.

She does right.

SaxonRider

Teaspoons handle side up. Everything else handle side down.

What’s the logic?

chewkw
    Free Member

I have never had a dishwasher in my life.

😯

househusband

Funnily enough I was chatting about exactly this at a shindig the other night; someone there insisted that each cutlery utensil should be placed in the same basket segment so easier to sort.

However, rarely, Mrs hh and I are agreed on this – that cutlery is placed entirely at random so that there’s less of chance of cutlery nesting together (likes spoons ‘spooning’) so that they get cleaned properly.

This really is plummeting the depths of STW’s first world, middle class issues!

tom200

Any true STWer would have a Miele disaster with a utensil tray 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Handles down for a better clean. Different utensils in different quarters. Ours is grid like so no spooning.

Still not managed to train the wife properly though.

scotroutes

Handles to the top, pointy bits in the basket.

Less likely to cause injury should anyone fall on the door when it’s open.

falkirk-mark

Handles down with the exception of sharp knives

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Try both ways and choose the method that the utensils come out the cleanest?

Cougar

I was taught ‘handle-side down’, as the usable bit stood above the grate and had a better chance of getting cleaned.

I can’t imagine a world where this is the wrong answer.

connect2

Handles down and random for everything apart from pointy/sharp knives which go handle up. I seem to recall a woman dying or being seriously injured when she fell on a blade sticking out of the basket. Even just a jab could be painful enough!

nuke

^ this every time

thomthumb
    Free Member

Funnily enough I was chatting about exactly this at a shindig the other night; someone there insisted that each cutlery utensil should be placed in the same basket segment so easier to sort.

when i worked in commercial kitchen this was banned, to stop ‘nesting’ as you say.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Our cleaner puts sharp knives in the dishwasher, blade pointing up 😯

Perhaps she is trying to tell us something

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Our cutlery basket has two sections with a hole in them, probably from overenthusiastic sharp knife depositing. Hence anything other than spoons placed handle uppards have a tendency to fall through and stop the spray boom from revolving. Then, nothing gets cleaned.
    The missus and daughter don’t seem to realise this. So far I have resisted the temptation to gather them in the kitchen and explain/demonstrate this problem, but it surely only a matter of time…

Maybe they do it on purpose?

avdave2

I’m aware of 2 cases in the uk where people have died due to falling on to knives pointy way uk in dishwashers. If you do insist on pointy side up be sure to wear a stab vest whenever the door is open.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Handle side up or else you have to handle the part of the utensil that is going to come into contact with the food .

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Apparently an average of five people a year are killed by their dishwasher. They trip and fall on the door and get stabbed by knives with the handle down.
    Just a thought!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I guess I just love living on the edge .

Cougar

Handle side up or else you have to handle the part of the utensil that is going to come into contact with the food .

Is there something wrong with your hands? Have you entertained the idea of washing them occasionally?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I wash my hands regularly but that doesn’t mean that they are free from harmful bacteria

Drac

Don’t put you sharp knives in the dishwasher you heathen.

Handles down it has to be in my Bosch as there’s no other way.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I always put anything sharp with the pointy side down. I was paranoid about it when my kids were young (I remember seeing an article about a kid who died after falling on a knife in the dishwasher) and still do it now they’re grown up.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Sharp knives get hand washed, dried then racked.

Why would anyone stick a decent knife in a dishwasher? It’s essentially for washing dishes. Wouldn’t even put decent cutlery or glassware in one.

carlos
    Free Member

Regular cutlery always goes handle down.

All pointy things and sharp knives get hand washed.

andytherocketeer

question not as stupid as my ex-flatmate.

was complaining just after he moved in that my dishwasher wasn’t very good at rinsing.

forget cutlery pointing up or down, he was only putting in mugs and glasses rim side up 🙄

2 masters degrees too. and often bragged about it. so much cleverness it sapped his commonsense.

don’t recall if the cutlery was up or down, but I imagine it was cutlery horizontal and big utensils vertical to stop the spinny thing spinning too.

tjp1980
    Free Member

Handles down, pointy side up. Keeps it exciting. And ignore anything that claims not to be dishwasher safe. That’s just what ‘the man’ wants you to think.

shifter
    Free Member

Does hot soapy water knacker posh knives then?

aracer
    Free Member

The justification for handles down appears to be (from the OP though presumably the same reason others are using):

All cutlery goes in handles up in ours, I’ve never noticed an issue with it not getting cleaned properly – do you lot have dishwashers which don’t work properly?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Our cleaner puts sharp knives in the dishwasher, blade pointing up

#humblebrag

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

#humblebrag

Says the expert.

allfankledup

Cutlery = utensils ?

Utensils go in the top rack….cutlery is handle up

falkirk-mark
    shermer75
    Free Member

Handles down, laces out

spooky_b329

That Mail article implies it could have been ‘eating’ knives that killed the lady. It says always load handle up despite the manufacturers recommending otherwise.

leffeboy

Does hot soapy water knacker posh knives then

yep. Can’t tell you why but I’m fairly sure it isn’t just ‘soap’ and anything with a nice sharp edge comes out blunt and needs sharpening again. Probably the same reason that alu stuff comes out heavily oxidised

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Putting utensils in the dishwasher’ is closed to new replies.