Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Putting holes in plastic mudguards
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Need a mudflap on the commuters mudguard. Full SKS jobs (not Crud style hard plastic), but annoyingly never came with a flap.

I’ve got my mudflap material (damp proof course plastic liner). Just going to bolt it on (maybe with a reflector on the back one..).

Now, do I drill out a hole in the mudguard, just stick a nail through, bodge some sort of hole punch from the stationary cupboard?

Was thinking of using a wood drill bit – get through the center then left the outer edge of the drill bit hopefully cut the rest.

Only really need a M4 bolt through I reckon so not a massive hole.

Any suggestions/tips?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i had to drill through mine to fit a pompino. just used a hss drill bit – went through fine. just make sure it is supoorted well – funny shape aren’t they. i used some pipe insulation cut in half.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I reckon…

Heat something metal (like a/the bolt) until red hot then push through guard. No chance of splitting that way.

scruzer
    Free Member

As stratobike says… and rub down any rough bits

Gary_M
    Free Member

I drilled mine using hand drill with a wood bit but i don’t suppose that many people have a hand drill these days. Just take it steady with a power drill. Hammering a nail through could crack the plastic.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Stick it inside the guard with silicon seal.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Seriously, the hole-punch works really well. 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

drill inside out, then you can hold it against a bit of wood, easier than the other way round. SKS tend to have a thin strip of metal down the centre for rigidity so prob easier to drill than other methods.

simondbarnes

A small screwdriver will go through easily enough. I riveted my mudflaps on, looks neater.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How does a hot nail go through the metal layer?

Screwdriver or Stanley here. Rivets are neat.

Don’t make the flap too big or heavy or you may break the guard in the long run.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

I’ve drilled my SKS mudguards when the mudflap fell off. I used a HSS (high speed steel) drill bit using a battery drill on a slow rpm setting. Worked well.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Could anyone oblige with pics of the results, please?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I riveted my mudflaps on, looks neater.

That was my other thought – just normal pop rivet I suppose? And fancy ones with a low profile on them, or just a standard. Not used them since my school days.

Looks like a pop rivet tool and a couple of rivets would cost as much as a few A4 stainless bolts!

rootes1

use a wood drill bit nice and slow drill, if you want to be extra neat do not drill all the way through and then complete the hole by drilling from the other side.

attached flap with two holes and use large diameter washers under the bolt heads (button head cap screws look neat) and nuts.

also very easy

breatheeasy
    Free Member

roote1 – that was first thougt – M4x6 button head bolts, 12mm penny washers and a nyloc nut.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I am intending to just batter whatever drill bit i find first through it on whatever settings the drill is already on. It’s a hole in a bit of aluminium plastic mudguard not the space shuttle.

oxym0r0n

Drilled through mine with an HSS to fit neatly in the wishbone of my P7, with some help of V brake spacers:

IMG_4145 by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

SimonT
    Free Member

I too use an office hole punch, a big metal one like a pair of pliers, just does one hole.

For attatching mudflaps I punch one hole and a notch in the end of the mudguard, then two matching holes in the mudflap, then stitch together with a zip tie. Its lighter than having a bolt at the unsupported end of the mudguard & doesn’t do that rattling from side to side as much.

Decent size flap on the front keeps crap off transmission and feet.

rootes1

Its lighter than having a bolt at the unsupported end of the mudguard & doesn’t do that rattling from side to side as much.

yer those M4x10 button heads and nuts are really heavy… 😉

decent guards don’t rattle. Got SKS my bike and the are nice and quiet

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Putting holes in plastic mudguards’ is closed to new replies.