Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Pukka vs Hollands?
  • RustySpanner

Just had my first Pukka pie.

Am now in a state of confusion:
    Always been a Hollands fan, man & boy, but really enjoyed the flakiness of the Pukka pastry and the well packed, nicely spiced filling.

I feel like I’ve just cheated on my partner tbh:
    ‘Dear Hollands pies, it’s not you, it’s me etc, etc…….’

What do you lot think?
    Can I enjoy an open relationship with both, or am I destined to choose?

What’s your preference between the two?

And non of your hand fondled, artisan made quail and lark quiches, lets keep this to factory produced growlers, if possible. 😀

binners

Its the flakiness of the Pukkas that puts me off. A pie should feel stodgy, not flaky. Pukkas feel a bit, a bit, well… a bit, sort of…. ‘Southern’

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Pukka all steak pie is loads better than Holland’s. Pukka all the way, mutha pukka!

portlyone

+1 Pukka

zilog6128

Not had one for a long time, but Pukka pies have always been my chip-shop pie of choice! (yes I am southern!)

binners

Just to add to the north/south thing starting to emerge. Must a Pukka pie be doused in gravy? Its actually illegal to eat a Hollands pie without it

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Never heard of Holland’s, and I’m northern

RustySpanner

binners – Member

Its the flakiness of the Pukkas that puts me off. A pie should feel stodgy, not flaky. Pukkas feel a bit, a bit, well… a bit, sort of…. ‘Southern’

I know, binners, I know. 🙁

I feel awful, like I’ve moved south of Deansgate, or given up gravy.

radtothepowerofsik – Member

Never heard of Holland’s, and I’m northern
    Not possible. You’re a spy from Cheshire aren’t you?

binners

Never heard of Holland’s? Have you been living in a salad bar?

best do your research

There will be questions

RustySpanner

Cougar

Like cockneys are born within the sound of Bow Bells, I must be a true Northerner cos I’m born within the scent of the Holland’s Pies factory. It’s on the other side of town to where I live.

Regardless, you’re both wrong anyway. The best pies are Clayton Park, from the other other side of town (Accy is kinda triangular).

derek_starship
    Free Member

radtothepower – you are an imposter. Every northerner is aware, from birth, of the great Holland’s of Baxendale. You are Jason Bourne and I claim my £5.

For the record – Holland’s pies are the best chippy pie. Their steak pies are pleasure packed pastries. And their S&K puddings do not require discussion. And even though I refer to their cheese & onion pies as plastic and onion pies – they are a taste sensation and the most fitting partner to Heinz baked beans.

*places hand on rumbling tummy*

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Northern? Lancashire? You southern pansies might as well be cockneys. Midlanders at least. The best pies ever used to come from T Baxter Whites in Chester le Street. Magic.

binners

Sorry Cougar. I can’t eat those. No matter how good they are. They’re the official pie of Blackburn FC. She’d never forgive me

*crosses self*

eyerideit
    Free Member

hollands till I die

Flaky tops me no likey. I got no love for these soft top pies.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

flakey tops signify everything that is PIE. Keep stodgy for puddin’s

Cougar

They’re the official pie of Blackburn FC. She’d never forgive me

Several other clubs too. See anything you like?

eyerideit
    Free Member

. And even though I refer to their cheese & onion pies as plastic and onion pies – they are a taste sensation and the most fitting partner to Heinz baked beans.

Find me I better cheese and onion pie, send it me email in profile, If I agree I’ll gift you £10* and the cost of postage.

BTW I like chips and curry sauce with my Hollands C&O – maybe a muffin if I’m feeling the hunger.

edit for the winner

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

choron
    Free Member

All filth (although Hollands slightly less filthy). Waterfields FTW

geoffj

Carrs pasties FTW

twotonpredator

hollands all the way. their steak pudding is the best…fact. although that is a different topic altogether.

waterfields steak pie is great, but greenhalgh’s steak pie takes the gold for me.

eyerideit
    Free Member

waterfields steak pie is great, but greenhalgh’s steak pie takes the gold for me.

They sound good but how widely are they available?

cheburashka
    Free Member

Pieminister FTW.

binners

Greenhalghs and water fields are both fine pies. But they’re a bit boutique. Neither sport gay flaky pastry crusts though. So more in common with hollands

emsz
    Free Member

*has nothing to say*

Is told by housemate, never to get inbetween a man and his pie….

scaredypants

“pukka”

It’s just not right – All I get is an image of Jamie Oliver slobbering away in his kitchen

“sweet as a nut – Laaahhhvly”

👿

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Pies should have shortcrust pastry. None of this puff pastry nonsense.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Used to live next door to the owner of Clayton Park bakery Cougar and yeah his pies aren’t too bad!

I’m a born Wiganer though, and we know our pies. Forget Hollands, Pukka etc the best pies are Pools pies. Used to be just a bakery and shop in Wigan, but now sell through Tesco, Spar and others (at least in the North West anyway)…mmmmmm pies!

eyerideit
    Free Member

cheburashka – Member
    Pieminister FTW.

They’re Ok but tiny. Square pie in Spittlefields – mmmm their Steak and Cheese is very nice. Good size portions as well.

emsz – Member
    *has nothing to say*

Is told by housemate, never to get inbetween a man and his pie….

Never, ever, ever…. ever

the best pies are Pools pies

Another niche pie brand. We need accessible pies for those who grew up having decent pies but through no fault of their own find themselves presented with flaky crusts.

Coyote
    Free Member

Pooles pies [i]ARE[/i][/u] the best only pie. Hollands do make an acceptable pie, it is true but the Pie of Pooles is the dish worthy of king.

Pukka is an abomination of mutated flakiness atop a tray of dog food. There, I’ve said it.

RustySpanner

Wow, some real fundamentalists on here.

Personally, I’m still torn between two lovers, feeling like a fool…….

I feel I may have been unduly swayed by the cheeky, fun loving nature of the flaky Pukka, whilst not fully appreciating the years and years of faithful service provided by the Baxenden piestros.
    After 40 odd years together, it’s easy to be seduced by something cheap, flashy and new.

In fact, I think I might be having a mid life piesis.

Sorry.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Pukka vs Hollands?’ is closed to new replies.