Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Puffer 2010 is now behind us!
  • sangobegger
    Free Member

Feelin a bit ropey today? – not half as ropey as the brave souls who did the "Puffer" last night.There was no quiet spells this year! – folk just kept on going despite some pretty horrible slurry pits hidden in the woods.We were at the top marshall station last night,so hats off to everyone who came past and gave us a cheery wave etc.The puffer crew excelled themselves as usual,and there was a great atmosphere all round.
    Just to give you an idea of what it takes though – one lad said,and I quote "I took 15 sets of pads with me this year" EH! ,bloody norah,I don't think I've used that many in 10 years of biking.
    So well done to all the competitors,and thanks for givin us all a laff at three in the mornin – see you all next year(maybe!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cracking event top marks chaps – best puffer yet 🙂

Used 3 sets pads in front brake (disco pad sintered) and 2 in rear

Held up well .

Course has beaten my upperbody up something rotten !

toadfish
    Free Member

any chance of photos

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thanks to the marshals! without you there is no race.

I did have a quiet spell – after falling 4 times on one lap despite walking the tricky bits I decided discretion was the better part of valour and went to bed for 4 hrs or so.

Ask me tomorrow if I enjoyed it.

( 1 pr brake pads front and rear gone in my 9 laps)

jemima
    Free Member

We were at the top marshall station last night,so hats off to everyone who came past and gave us a cheery wave etc

Hats off to the marshalls I think! You guys at the top station and the station near Loch Kinellan were ace! Its amazing what a bit of cheering does for the motivation. Thanks!

I feel a bit beaten up and quite tired. Hardly surprising…

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Had a great time. Don't feel too bad either considering i'm full of the cold and haven't slept since Thursday night.

The Marshals were fab. Rock cake, winegums, sherry, they had the lot.

Dougie Vipond's bail will go down in history.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Vipond's bail will be fantastic on the adventure show, when they try to make it sound heroic!

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Oh and a great many thanks to the young lady who lead me through the last descent after my lights crapped out.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Really proud of Mrs McGrew. This was her first time riding in snow, first ever night ride and first ever event.
    She managed 4 laps in our team of 4 (which ended up a 3 as of 2300hrs.)
    Girl did good!

churcherian
    Free Member

Just home and only one word describes this years Puffer….Classic! Anyone else (obvioulsy solo's) who drew the short straw for the first lap…..that was Hell!!! My second lap out for a quad was 13 minutes faster.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

That was another thing she took on! Took her 1h 40mins but she stepped up and wanted to do it! 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My first lap was my quickest I think. I did wait until everyone else had gone tho so that they were clearing the way for me

Smee
    Free Member

Congratulations to Trail_rat on his win in the Singlespeed Solos. Top job young sir.

TJ -it was a pleasure to finally put a face to a name – cracking effort too.

Whosthedaddy from round these parts is an absolute legend too.

Congratulations also to DaveB on his win in the mixed pairs.

32:16 was the wrong choice, but 32:18 was quite a bit better – the full 27 would have been better.

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

I did the first lap of my pair. It was my quickest time, I assume because I rode 2.5s on fat rims at low pressure. The rest of my laps suffered though. That second fire road just went on and on because the rolling resistance was so great. Thats just one of my many excuses.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta Smee. I believe you did rather well – 2nd mixed 4? You didn't give me a tow up the hills tho

what_tyres
    Free Member

Even the camping was epic – the Bothy Bikes team slept in an Igloo!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Upper mid-table mediocrity for team Dunracin'

Brilliant event on a superb course which kept you on your toes by being different every lap. I did the last lap for our team and the fire road had started to ice up which made the big-ring downhill bit really quite scary.

Well done to everyone on here who competed, particularly all who rode solo – I'm in awe!

Also HUGE thanks to the organisers and the marshalls and all the guys who defeated the odds to make the course rideable.

takisawa2

Well done to all of you. Your obviously all totally bonkers & I'm not at all envious.

Innes
    Free Member

I was up to see the guys we did the puffer with last year yesterday, and a couple of us walked a good bit of the course. Well done to everyone who competed, it was really icy in a lot of areas, and very muddy in others when we were there in the afternoon. It was really interesting seeing how different people tackled the conditions.

The atmosphere was great, I felt quite sad I wasn't riding, but then later on I have to admit I didn't fancy riding through the night in those conditions.

Our team did 24 laps last year and the team did 15 this year.

Well done Alek, 14 laps solo, you were looking like you were enjoying it when we say you.

Innes

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just slept since last post …. Things alot clearer now haha. Calves stiff as ****.

Top marshall station was ace . Toilet paper to blow my nose after grit on gloves rubbed the shit out of my upper lip and nose

First 3 laps sucked for me i went out on 32:18 but quickly established that i couldnt ride that all night so moved to 32:21 after first 3 laps fire road was soo draggy.

Mud tires over ice spikes was right choice .

Tj and smee will testify to this im sure…..nearly **** up winning ss as simon was really sore and posting 2 hour laps due to sore back from pushing 32:18 and i thought im wrecked from chasing so stopped about 22 hours but i did such a slow lap simon was only 20 mins behind. He came in and i thought he had gone out again and had a 20 min lead on me …..left tj and jojo +support at 8.22 and got back at 9.10. I wish id taken the time to use the rest dibber at the desk …. That finished me off in everyway !

jojoA1
    Free Member

Smee – Premier Member
    Congratulations to Trail_rat on his win in the Singlespeed Solos. Top job young sir.

TJ -it was a pleasure to finally put a face to a name – cracking effort too.

Whosthedaddy from round these parts is an absolute legend too.

Congratulations also to DaveB on his win in the mixed pairs.

….. Ahem!!!??? 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jojo – you were awesome- 13 laps solo. Utterly awesome performance.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Jojo – you were awesome- 13 laps solo. Utterly awesome performance.

Absolutely! I'm (secretly) very impressed.

Xan
    Free Member

Well done everyone. It was a tough one. Only managed 4 laps after a really bit lap with technical problems, terrible course conditions resulting me being in a stinking mood (also the fact that I'm a lazy bas!!. Got some shut eye, got up and put out my fastest lap. The bothy bikes boys igloo was class, we were camped right next to that (white marquee and green tent)

A big thanks to all the marshals and the motivation from them all was second to none. Not sure I'll do it next year as I think I may have bit off more than I could chew, but you never know. Will need alot of work but.

Smee
    Free Member

Jojo – I was mightily impressed with you too – just thought i'd have a separate post for you. 😀

jojoA1
    Free Member

I also knew you guys would be on for a podium place with Hels setting the pace for you all to chase down to avoid shame. 😉

Epic race with some serious emotional highs and lows for me. Stuartie came past me on my last lap after I'd come off and smacked both my kneecaps on the steepish slab in the singletrack. I was a bit tired and emotional!

My support team (Roberta, Graham, BigAl, Norm) were a total inspiration and booted me out to ride when I most wanted to stay in my pit and give up (after 8 laps!). A real team effort. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

whos thiis jo person ?

onlhy kidding – you did great . they dont say its the tuffest 24 for nothing !

AntM
    Free Member

great effort eveyone. Top marks to the marshalls! They really know how to look after you and encourage you on. Time for a beer and then off to bed- work tomorrow 😯

ton

well done everyone……………have a beer on me, and for me…… 😉

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

Great event, thanks to Terry for giving me a spare tube after i rode like a dip stick and hit the water gate (I promise not to pinch you again :wink:), to the marshalls for feeding me with chocies before I bonked on my last lap and to my team mates,George,Hels and Robin. And everyone who marshalled,rode and was connected with this epic event 8)

Next year anyone ?

steffybhoy
    Free Member

Ir was a great puffer.

I was sorry to hear of the big fella that was pronounced dead in the ambulance.

Smee
    Free Member

I would just like to thank Mark at TheBikeChain again for the support that he gave us. Made our lives a bit easier – cheers.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Ditto what Smee says above re The Bike Chain. Merino Buffs are teh biz!!! 🙂

sangobegger
    Free Member

Possible pics(or not).

sangobegger
    Free Member

And another! – we salute you sir!

Smee
    Free Member

That's me that is.

sangobegger
    Free Member

I think yer face was melting in the heat,you stood there for so long! – Cracking day though,hope you did well.

Smee
    Free Member

Aye, mate went from 1hr laps to 1hr 27mins. Not being camped on the fire road was a bit of a pain.

Xan
    Free Member

steffybhoy – Member
    Ir was a great puffer.

I was sorry to hear of the big fella that was pronounced dead in the ambulance.

I saw this. Does anyone know what happened. Deepest condolences to his family.

trail_rat
    Free Member

"you will need a shovel to clear a space for youjr car if you go up the fire road " says the marshall

me . turn the car – reverse into snow drift quite quickly. Parked

driving a shit box has its advantages (im scrapping it very shortly)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Puffer 2010 is now behind us!’ is closed to new replies.