Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Public enemy no. 1
  • neilthewheel

I’ll leave this here:

jonnyboi

looks like photoshop to me.

wwaswas

what do the second set of signs say? Seem to have a different message to the first?

wombat

Clearly the 1st signs are a warning about the bit of uneven surface between the yellow lines. 😉

I suspect that the 2nd signs say something like “Cyclists, you can go as fast as you like now because the next bit is really smooth and you’re all really cool and groovy people” 8)

jamesfts
    Free Member

Easy huck that.

Kryton57

Obvious video is obvious.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaoLy7PHwk[/video]

mrblobby
    Free Member

Funny one that as the speed bumps in the cycle lane are actually there to discourage cars from driving there rather than to slow down bikes!

councilof10
    Free Member

what do the second set of signs say?

“When right light shows, wait here… Ah fuggedaboudit”

D0NK

what do the second set of signs say?

[i]Thankyou for your co-operation[/i] in welsh

the speed bumps in the cycle lane are actually there to discourage cars from driving there

would they not have been better using the armadillo thingies? Or is the jury still out on them?

ninfan
    Free Member

That’s brilliant Neil? Where is that?

If it’s a highway then we Could kick up a fuss and tryand get them removed as not according to TSRGD or signage clutter guidance

stumpy01

It looks like there’s another path that crosses the one in the picture….

If so then I can see what they are trying to achieve, but perhaps it could have been done with better signage….?

tjagain

Why is it always the bikes that have to give way? both to pedestrians and cars whenever we have this sort of situation with UK cycleways?

neilthewheel

That’s brilliant Neil? Where is that?

Lanchester Valley walk – a disused railway line in Co. Durham. There’s more at the other side of the village.

stumpy01

tjagain – Member

Why is it always the bikes that have to give way?

As far as I can see it just says ‘slow down’. There is no mention of give way…..

neilthewheel

It looks like there’s another path that crosses the one in the picture….

Not a path crossing but there is a way in on the right.

neilthewheel

Here’s a screenshot of the Strava segment covering that stretch. Over 2000 riders; nobody outside the top 6 has exceeded 18mph.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just as well every single cylist is on Strava then.

neilthewheel

Just as well every single cylist is on Strava then.

Well, it’s a (not very representative) sample. If there’s thousands of riders out there routinely going faster than that we should let British Cycling know because there’s sure to be a world champion among them.

zilog6128

Interesting that no-one on this thread knows how to interpret a road sign. I hope none of you drive.

A red ring indicates prohibition so whatever is inside the ring is not allowed. The message therefore is that cyclists are not allowed to slow down.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not sure what the problem is. They said please.

aracer
    Free Member

Well, it’s a (not very representative) sample.[/quote]

It’s certainly likely to include the vast majority of those going fast – Strava is only unrepresentative in that it is heavily biased towards those going faster, hence it appears to be an excellent way of proving the point.

<note to self – KOM for the taking>

BigJohn

Excellent spot, Zilog!

I was thinking of a Capt. Mainwaring “I wondered when one of you would pick that up”…

loddrik
    Free Member

Sign inaccuracy aside. There is a similar situation on the wirral way whereby the route passes through a Golf course (similar to the crossing in the pic) and so a request for cyclists to slow down as they pass the crossing would seem reasonable to me.

zilog6128

Yes it’s reasonable but the signs are confusing & hard to read. They should be rectangular and white & blue. You could also argue that some nice wooden posts would look a bit better & be more in keeping.

aracer
    Free Member

Well that depends how fast cyclists are going, and why it is they’re being asked to slow down. Given a median speed well below 18mph, it doesn’t appear that speeds are currently that silly, or that there’s really any danger with them.

Sandwich

<note to self – KOM for the taking>

Books trip to the area for Sunday. 8)

jointhedotz
    Free Member

Dora’s Wood in Lanchester?

TBF the dog walkers will have been having a whinge that they’re getting buzzed as they step out into the path without looking.

theotherjonv

it also only requires you to slow down, with no instruction by how much or what to.

So a quick sprint up to 30mph on the lead in, coast over the marked section at 28, having slowed down as instructed, and then speed up again the other side.

Job done.

aracer
    Free Member

Mentioned where in that?

Though I was intrigued by the possibility of misuse by cyclists of the Park House Play Area Embankment slide – sounds interesting 😉

jointhedotz
    Free Member

point 1g, near the start

At least that’s what I assume it’s for since the woods had signs before then. I could be wrong 🙂

Park house….is that the park behind the kings head? If so then sign me up for misusing a slide down that embankment 🙂

tjagain

Loddrick – is there a sign on the footpath say ” walkers you are crossing a cycleway – please look out for and give way to bicycles?”

jonba
    Free Member

Here’s a screenshot of the Strava segment covering that stretch. Over 2000 riders; nobody outside the top 6 has exceeded 18mph.

Bookmarked, I’ll have that when it dries up a bit.

zilog6128

Is it a cycleway though? Or a bridleway (where cyclists are legally obliged to give way to walkers)?

Trimix
    Free Member

So this is what your council tax gets spent on.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s a cycleway (whatever the legal meaning of that is), not a BW – marked on map as “traffic free cycle route”

https://binged.it/2ktROuT

zilog6128

So this is what your council tax gets spent on.

At least they aren’t “CYCLIST DISMOUNT” signs… they really grind my gears!

AD

Zilog – you’d love the climb up through Boonbeck nr Lorton (basically the C to C route up to Whinlatter). The drainage grates on the road have been replaced with awesome new ones that are aligned to grab the front wheel of a road bike (mountain bikes and crossers are ok).
    Instead of fixing the problem, some genius in the local highways has put up ‘Cyclist Dismount’ signs (six sets…) at a cost of who knows what 🙂

neilthewheel

At least they aren’t “CYCLIST DISMOUNT” signs… they really grind my gears!

Some new ones of those have appeared a few miles away from the original pic, on the pavement of the road bridge at Langley Park. Interestingly, the pavement is not a designated cyclepath but – well, dismount anyway!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Public enemy no. 1’ is closed to new replies.