• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PSI…
  • goldengus
    Free Member

What PSI should I be riding with, got myself a track pump and now I can see what the gauge says.

Riding general bridal ways, wooded tracks, fire roads etc.

Bike is a 26” Specialized Rockhopper Comp if its helps.

Thanks in advance 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

Pressure depends on too many things for us to give you an Ideal pressure to run your tyres at. for general bridal way and fire roads though you can get away with quite high pressures for less rolling resistance or lower pressures for a ‘softer’ ride.

for more trail riding I tend to run quite high on the rear (35-40) than the front (25-30ish)due to getting pinch punctures.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Just experiment. But front should be less than back to assist in steering and both tyres less in mud than summer dry 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lasty
    Free Member

40 both ends ….. winter and summer 🙄

But then again i live on the edge .

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Pump them up to the max and figure it out innit?

lunge

Assuming you use tubes 35 ish I would say, perhaps a little less on the front. Add a bit if you’re heavy and/or tend to break wheels, take some away if you don’t.

lucien

40 both ends ….. winter and summer

But then again i live on the edge .

Although, not on the edge of the tyre at those pressures 😯

ThePinkster

I’m a fat b’sturd and I run mine 29 front, 31 rear winter and summer, not that it’s that easy to tell the difference.

Yes, I am that anal about tyre pressures and even have the logos lined up with the valves. 😳

zippykona

Just for a laugh ask on on American forum. You will get someone who will tell you how his tyres were rubbish at 28psi but really came alive at 27.

rOcKeTdOg

Any bridesmaids on these bridal ways?

I tend to squish tyres with my fingers, if it feels right it usually is, if not +/- a bit

HTH

J-R

As others have said, it depends on your riding style.

At Low pressures down to, or even below, the minimum on your tyre you tend to get more grip in slippery conditions but you become more likely to get pinch flats.

At high pressures up to the maximum on your tyre you get lower rolling resistance so less effort to ride, but loose out on grip.

Other issues are:
    – Your weight. I’m about 75kg and tend to run with tubes at about 30psi, which just avoids pinch flats. In theory somebody of 150kg would need around 60psi on the same tyres.
    – Tyre width. Wider tyres need slightly less air pressure.
    – Front pressure can be a few psi lower, to help with steering and because it takes less weight than the rear.

Personally I try to run tyres as soft as I can when it’s slippery – especially important for steep climbs where grip is the limiting factor – and maybe 10psi higher when the ground is firm and dry. You’ll have to experiment with what works best for your local conditions.

jonba
    Free Member

40psi.

Even though it has a gauge it might not be accurate so suck it and see. Your gauge will be fine for you but might not compare to others.

FWIW I would go somewhere between 30 and 40.

JoeG
    Free Member

26″ Hans Dampf Trailstar 2.35 run tubeless w/Stan’s here. 20 psi front, 22.5* psi rear.

*The gauge on my pump is marked in 10 psi increments. Each 10 psi increment is subdivided into 4 with tick marks, thus 2.5 psi.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PSI…’ is closed to new replies.