Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • PSA: Nokia smartphone users
  • Jolsa

The latest Ovi Maps has been released and you now get free navigation. Looks pretty good…prett-ay prett-aaay pretty good.

Ovi Maps

Electric pig review

rs
    Free Member

downloaded the update yesterday, need to try it out but it's free therefore awesome! Well done Nokia.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

only free for the very latest nokia smartphones 🙁

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have used my 5800 as a satnav for the lorry for a while now and it's not as good as a tomtom but then again the tomtom does not make calls.

4ndyB
    Free Member

crap, not available for the E71, which isn't exactly an old phone.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Not available for the N95 8GB either.

Boo

rs
    Free Member

basks in the glory of recent 5800 purchase 🙂

MrGreedy

I believe it's going to be rolled out to other recent phones (including those above) in the near future, so worth checking back.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

+1 regarding E71, fingers crossed…

Jolsa

For £20 a month, a 5800 XM on an unlimited data plan, with Nokia Sports Tracker, decent browser options (Opera) and Twitter app (Gravity), and now free navigation, is looking like one of my better decisions 🙂 Well done Nokia!

nickjb
    Free Member

just re-installing my maps now. shall try it tomorrow.

Jolsa

You mean you don't have an iPhone Nick?

franksinatra

How free is free? I have a very limited data bundle, does that mean i will have to pay for the data if using maps?

nickjb
    Free Member

You can pre-load the maps for the whole world for free via your pc. You don't need to use data unless you want traffic info.

peakprowler
    Free Member

Jolsa .. where did you get the £20 deal on your 5800?

br
    Free Member

The problem with mobiles is that by the time I've made up my mind to get a new one (was looking at the E71), its out-of-date! Which is why I still use a Nokia 6310i…

franksinatra

I've got a 5800xm from Orange but can't update to v31 or greater on firmware, meaning i can't get free maps.

grrrr

duckers
    Free Member

franksinatra – you can debrand your 5800 but it might invalidate your warranty, then again it could be worth it as you'll get the latest firmwares, free sat nav, etc, etc… I had an orange branded phone a few years back and they were terrible for firmware updates so I reckon you might be waiting a while…

I tried out the new ovi maps this morning, it's pretty good with traffic info, automatic route update, etc…..

All we need now is a free app for OS mapping that downloads the entire UK in 1:25000!!!!! (Maybe after April when free online OS mapping is available and someone writes an ap to cache downloaded tiles..)

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah a free viewranger package would be great 🙂

duckers
    Free Member

Careful… the writer of the last thread mentioning viewranger and free in the same sentence was branded a bike theif by some of the STW massive.

firestarter
    Free Member

oh im not clever enough for any software tinkering lol just an os map in the memory with scroll and zoom would be great 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

im just glad i didnt fork out for the mapping after my trial as i nearly did as it work well when connected bluetooth to my car

steviegil
    Free Member

Im the same as franksinatra as i can only get up to V31 software on my 5800 express but seeing as i have unlimited data not too bothered at the moment. Just downloaded the new version of the map's and they seem decent..

How do you debrand the 5800 duckers??

Bimbler
    Free Member

Another heads up is the web browser Skyfire not as good as Opera Mini or Opera mobile but it does have the advantage of being able to play all the web video formats as well as a full monty web version of iPlayer rather than the rather truncated app based version (which for some reason doesn't have Radio 5 – football maybe?)

Not sure why you can't get the get free maps with higher than 31.0**** firmware – that's what I've got and it works fine.

Nokia link to 5800 free navigation download page

Sportstracker is ace too used it for the first time today. It'll get better too once they tie it in with Ovi maps better (seems to use Google maps on their website – which is only in beta). Only downside of Sportstracker is seeing how damn slow I was going.

antigee

Only downside of Sportstracker is seeing how damn slow I was going.

only used a few times and not found very accurate – recent example 35mins run distance shown as 0.71miles so av speed 0.71mph – now i am getting on a bit and a bit recreational but i suspect treecover and snowclouds gave this result rsther than beer and muscles

firestarter
    Free Member

edit. found it cheers

Jolsa

peakprowler – Member

Jolsa .. where did you get the £20 deal on your 5800?

O2 Retentions. Actually it may not have been retentions – phoned up customer services a few months back as I was out of contract. Offered a free 5800 with god knows how many minutes and texts for £20, asked politely for unlimited data to seal the deal and got it.

Tip – when checking your phone to see if there's a newer software version update, do it through the program on the pc rather than checking over the air using the *#0000# method – might just be me, but I was getting nothing when doing *#0000#, but through Nokia Software Updater it found an update.

Skyfire browser sounds quite good, better than Opera Mobile according to these guys.

nickjb
    Free Member

I got mine at £20/month direct from O2 inc data. The mrs has the same (we are sad, I know). They just offered it to her but I had to call back a couple of times until I spoke to someone willing to deal.

duckers
    Free Member

Yeah, sometimes trying to update the firmware through the phone doesnt get the latest version, try connecting it to your pc via the ovi pc suite and nokia software updater, if that doesnt work read the debrand guide here:
    http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php/topic,1616.0.html

scuttler

Thanks OP.

Been running it on an E55 for a couple of weeks now and well impressed. Seems much more reliable and easy to use than before (I never would have paid for it). I'm not big on sat nav as I know my way around but its brilliant for the last mile when going to new places.

MrGreedy

Just to resurrect this thread, the latest version now seems to be available for some of the other phones mentioned above – just downloaded and installed on my N95-8GB

steviegil
    Free Member

Still wont let me update the latest software on my 5800 – it say's my Version 31.0.101 is the latest for my phone 😥 but i have not tried to debrand it yet…

matthewjb
    Free Member

just downloaded and installed on my N95-8GB

There's still no navigation for the N95 is there?

MrGreedy

It doesn't actually say it explicitly on the website, but from this page I was able to update my version of maps to 3.0, and the voice navigation seems to work fine now. Both N95 and N95-GB are listed in the dropdown so I assume it should work for you too?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i've updates to V31.something…
    have downloaded a load of stuff and have the new software on my phone. when i go on maps though nothing shows? i can get my GPS position etc, but i just get a blank green screen where there should be a town…

any ideas? this is the first time i've done anything to my 5800, so had quite a few updates to do etc, but it would be good to get the maps showing…

when i try to further update the phone's software, it tells me i've got the latest version?

matthewjb
    Free Member

It doesn't actually say it explicitly on the website, but from this page I was able to update my version of maps to 3.0, and the voice navigation seems to work fine now.

Aah. I've got v3.0 and I'd assumed I'd need to update my license as I have in the past. I've just tested it and voice nav seems to work without a license. Great

nickjb
    Free Member

I could only update the firmware when connected via a pc. trying directly it said i had the latest version. I also needed to update the update program on the pc. once this was all done the update went well. after updating i needed to reload all the maps. this takes a while as its a few gb.

I've just navigated around Italy with it and it worked well. A few glitches, mostly when recalculating routes if you ignore it and when changing from 3D to 2D. I see there is a new version now so hopefully they've ironed out a few bugs. Great app for free.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

ok, my laptop based updater didn't load properly yesterday, i'll have another go.

where do i download the maps from? i couldn't find a link?

cheers

Bimbler
    Free Member

If you're still locked to the V30 firmware because of your service provider you can get around this by updaing your product code

Nokia product code update guide.

It's dead easy, although phone needs to be fully charged to actually do the update bit. Waiting for mine to charge now.

ok, my laptop based updater didn't load properly yesterday, i'll have another go.

where do i download the maps from? i couldn't find a link?

If you're using Ovi software suite it does it all for you I think.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Nokia smartphone users’ is closed to new replies.