Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Pruning Espalier Apple Trees
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

Last year I planted a couple of 1 year old apple trees and pruned them down below the first rung of the intended Espalier design. Both trees have only put out one branch that could be trained along the wire.

1a by Big Surfer, on Flickr

My question is it possible to prune the tree to encourage more low down growth that can be trained and if so how. It is not a light issue as both trees are on a south facing fence and each has a branch in the opposite direction. This is a photograph that shows a couple of small buds below the height of the first wire will they turn into branches.

2b by Big Surfer, on Flickr
    My second question is one tree currently has 3 shoots at the height of the second wire would you train 2 along the wire and leave the 3rd to grow upwards.

Feel free to slate the state of the fence, weeds etc but I don’t really want to live in a sterile, perfect, Disney type enviroment and I have much better things to do with my time.

Cheers Bigsurfer.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Correct links for photo’s sorted.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Why would you want growth lower down? Is the tree a spur, or tip bearer? Train the two branches to the wires, support them on bamboo canes at 45 degrees to the wire and adjust them parralel to the wires gradually, train the leader straight and prune again when they reach the second wire, then repeat for the 2nd tier. I have 8 trees like this at home and plan another dozen more as a fence around our property. Just have patience, its easy enough. Mine have 4 tiers, are 6ft high and have taken 5 years since planting to reach the last tier. Plenty of fruit on the 2nd year of planting to be honest. I have apples, pears and quince trained this way.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

if you prune the lower brances by a 3rd you will encourage a lot more growth, and fill the tier quicker than if you left the or only lightly pruned them

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Pruning Espalier Apple Trees’ is closed to new replies.