Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Probably a stupid question but…..
  • Be4ch
    Free Member

…..I have a 2007 Scott Ransom with the 2007 Fox 36 Van front fork which has a bolt through axle rather than any form of QR. I've never had any problems so I've never needed to do anything with it but in a few weeks I'm doing a 28 mile sponsored bike ride and I'm starting to worry about getting a puncture. How do I get the front wheel off of the fork?

I've looked in the user manual that came with the bike (more accurately, loaded the CD they gave me into my PC and had a look) but there's nothing in there at all. Is it just a case of undoing the allen bolts so the axle 'opens' and the wheel comes out? As I said, undoubtedly a stupid question but there you go, I don't know how to do it so could someone offer advice. Thanks

poisonspider
    Free Member

1. Undo bolts
    2. Pull out axle
    3. Wheel falls out!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've never had any problems so I've never needed to do anything with it

never had the wheel out in THREE YEARS ?? Wowser! I'd be impressed at 3 weeks 🙂

Be4ch
    Free Member

Ah!, I wish it was that good Simon. It's been about 18 months I think. I bought as an insurance replacement when my last bike was nicked and the bike shop did me a deal on the previous years model.

Thanks Spider, I thought it would be simple but I also had visions of me undoing the bolts and the forks just falling apart. I don't have a good track record with tools.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I don't have a good track record with tools.

I think we already got that 🙂 I suggest you hire a mechanic to ride along behind you…

z1ppy

I'd suggest trying it before you go…

walleater

….and don't tighten up the pinch bolts too tight or you'll crack the lowers…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and don't tighten up the pinch bolts too tight or you'll crack the lowers

we can be 90% certain Be4ch won't know what a pinch bolt is 🙁

Cougar

What z1ppy said. It'll be a lot easier to have a dry run at home first than in a field only armed with a small multi-tool and some harsh language. It'll give you piece of mind when you're out if you know how to do it.

Cougar

BTW – out of interest, is this something you could simply replace the bolts on with QR skewers, or is it a new wheels job?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

is this something you could simply replace the bolts on with QR skewers, or is it a new wheels job?

no

rs
    Free Member

I think you should start worrying more about how to actually remove the tyre, fix a puncture and put it all back together if the pinch bolts are giving you problems 🙂

Be4ch
    Free Member

lol, I can do a puncture no problem – there may several grazed knuckles, pinched fingers and, on one occasion, I got the tube changed only to bend the valve when pumping it back up but I can do it. I had a back tyre go Sunday which raised my concerns about what to do if the front one went.

And no, no idea what a pinch bolt is but I'll guess I'll find out when I take the wheel off at the weekend. Look out for Sunday's thread about the cheapest place to source some new Fox front forks 😀

leftyboy
    Free Member

If you don't know how to do it, it's not a stupid question IMHO BUT if you didn't ask and then just turned up for the ride with no idea of how to fix a front puncture then asking the question then would, IMHO, be stupid.

I hope that makes some sense. 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

I bet someone wil help if you need it on the day.

Be4ch
    Free Member

Cheers Lefty. I like your reasoning 🙂

I would hope so cynic-al. It's only a sponsored thing it's not a race so there will be plenty of people about but I thought it best to at least try to find out what I need to do, you know, just in case.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Probably a stupid question but…..’ is closed to new replies.