Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Probability/Multiple Choice
  • molgrips
    Free Member

If you pick a random ball from the box, what is the probability that the ball is the colour written on the piece of paper?

Cougar that’s not the same question.

In this case the correct ball depends on the ball you pick.. so it’s a paradox.

phil.w
    Free Member

s it the fact that 2 of the numbers are the same rather than what the actual numbers are?

it’s both.

the two numbers the same change the probability of picking the correct answer from 25% to 50%. the correct answer becomse 50%. yet 50% is now not the correct answer as it only appears once thus making the correct answer 25% and so on…

wwaswas

In this case the correct ball depends on the ball you pick

this.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

is it the fact that 2 of the numbers are the same rather than what the actual numbers are?

it’s both.

the two numbers the same change the probability of picking the correct answer from 25% to 50%. the correct answer becomse 50%. yet 50% is now not the correct answer as it only appears once thus making the correct answer 25% and so on…

Only if 25% is the correct answer to start with. Couldn’t the question just as well say:

a) blue
    b) yellow
    c) red
    d) blue

So the odds of the one you pick being the ‘right’ one depends on what the right one is, which we don’t know? Or have I totally missed the point here?

EDIT: Someone’s already said this haven’t they?

No, you are probably right Mr Salmon

However, I still keep getting drawn back to 1 in 3

If the answer is one of the unique answers – 1 in 4 chance of getting it right

If the answer is one of the duplicated answers – 1 in 2 chance of getting it right

Seeing as we have both these possibilities, lets go with somewhere in between the two and with no mathematical justification, say 1 in 3 🙂

phil.w
    Free Member

Or have I totally missed the point here?

yes.

if it was
    a) blue
    b) yellow
    c) red
    d) blue
    then it wouldn’t be a paradox.

If the answer is one of the unique answers – 1 in 4 chance of getting it right

If the answer is one of the duplicated answers – 1 in 2 chance of getting it right

exactly – you can’t pick the correct answer.
    it’s a vicious circularity paradox.

molgrips
    Free Member

But if you consider each answer in turn, it is wrong. So the probability is zero since you cannot pick a right answer (which is the wording of the original question.

In that case – 50%. You either pick the right, or the wrong answer.

*finds nearest doorway to put head in* anyone want to repeatedly close the door really hard?

nickjb
    Free Member

If the answer is 25% then you have a 50% chance of picking it, if the answer is 50% then you have a 25% chance of picking it so I’m going with 0

RealMan
    Free Member

If you choose an answer to this question at random, what is the chance you will be correct?
    a) 25%
    b) 50%
    c) 60%
    d) 25%

Thinking about this a bit more, I’m starting to wonder if this is a null question, as in the same frame as:

What hippo makes yellow sky?

1. Yes
    2. Memory
    3. 128 (and a bit)

It just makes no sense. So you choose an answer at random, then ask yourself are you correct? Correct about what? There is no question to be correct about, as the only question is asking what the probability if of being correct, but there’s nothing to be correct about in the first place, so you get stuck in a loop that has no start.

UNLESS, you consider the question to be hidden and unstated, and that one of the answers is correct. But then as you’ve got two 25%s, the answer is 0%, even though it’s not an answer (like I said before).

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Whichever, it’s annoying because ‘correct’ is basically a meaningless term in the original question although phil.w is probably right if it’s supposed to be a paradox, but I still think that depends on 25% being the correct answer.

molgrips
    Free Member

The question is ‘what is the chance of you being correct’

The answer is 0% which isn’t one of the choices. So it’s equivalent to asking

What is 2+2?

a) 5
    b) 6
    c) 7
    d) 8

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%, no… 25%, no… 50%….

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Idiots.

The answer and the answers are related.

So you are answering the question regarding the chance of being right, using the answers that you are randomly choosing from.

There’s no point trying to analyse it – it’s a circular argument.

Statistically the answer is impossible to identify as we do not know what the question is that has generated those four choices – but, for the light of brain amongst you, you’ve decided that the four answers in some way direct the possibility of random correctness.

The probability of being correct is between 0 and 1.

Here endeth the lesson.

DrRSwank
    BSc Applied Statistics

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Does that mean I can stop now?

molgrips
    Free Member

So you listened to him but not me?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah, he’s a Dr and he’s got letters after his name.

TBH, I thought my answers made it clear I knew it was a paradox from the outset.

molgrips
    Free Member

I know, just messin wit ya.

Cougar

Depending on how you interpret the question, it’s either,

a) I’m right,
    b) It’s a paradox,
    c) It’s a nonsense question made up in about 5 seconds by someone who doesn’t actually have an answer to it, in order to waste the time of people who think they’re clever.

Who’s for “c”? I’ve not actually found a definitive source or answer for this and am starting to think there isn’t one.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Statistically – Answer C is correct Cougar.

There is no answer.

We have been presented with a question and a set of answers – but the two are not related.

TSY – never stop 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s easy to make up questions that don’t have an answer, and it’s REALLY easy to make up multiple choice ones that don’t.

This one is sort of fun because it’s self referential which adds a bit of a twist, but it’s fundamentally no different to asking “What is the sun’s favourite cheese?”

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam, no…gorgonzola, no… edam…

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I’ve just emailed it on and got a response of

25% chance of choosing 50%. As there are 2 25% then the answer is b) 50%.

I’m not sure I understand what that means! This could be fun

klumpy
    Free Member

Four possible answers means a 25% chance of getting it right, seeing as two of the answers are 25% you have a 50% chance of picking one of them, but there’s only one answer of 50% so you have a 25% chance of picking it, and seeing as two of the answers are 25% you have a 50% chance of picking one of them, but there’s only one answer of 50% so you have a 25% chance of picking it, and seeing as two of the answers are 25% you have a 50% chance of picking one of them, but there’s only one answer of 50% so you have a 25% chance of picking it, and seeing as two of the answers are 25% you have a 50% chance of picking one of them….

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve just emailed it on and got a response of

25% chance of choosing 50%. As there are 2 25% then the answer is b) 50%.

In which case the correct answer is 50% and there’s only a 25% chance of picking that…

molgrips
    Free Member

The answer is 0% you tards, which isn’t one of the options.

GJP
    Free Member

**** me is this one still going.

As a former mathematician I would say that the correct answer can be anything between 0% (if none of the answers are correct) and 50% (if the correct answer is 25% or whatever the one is that is repeated)..

On the basis of two key assumptions, that are

1/ One of the answers is in fact correct
    2/ They are all equally likely to be correct

Then the answer is 33%. QED.

Not sure where DrRSwank get’s his answer 0-100% from. I think he may have jumped to that without any real thought -poor form for a statistician 😆

By your thinking molgrips, then there is no answer, as 0% isn’t an option.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s what I’ve been saying all thread. No answer – unanswerable question.

Cougar

I’ve had time to think about this now that I’m not in work. What do we think of this:

The probability of you choosing any one of the answers is 1 in 4, that’s 25%, or 0.25.

Assuming that one of the answers is correct (otherwise it’s a nonsensical trick question), the probability of a) being correct is 0.5, of b) being correct 0.25, c) 0.25, d) 0.5.

So. The probability of you guessing a) and a) being correct is 0.25 x 0.5, or 0.125. The probability of guessing b) and being correct is 0.25 x 025 = 0.0625. Of c), 0.0625, and of d), 0.125.

So, the probability of you choosing the right answer is the total of those four probabilities. 0.125 + 0.0625 + 0.0625 + 0.125 = 0.375.

If you choose an answer to this question at random, what is the chance you will be correct? You will be correct 37.5% of the time.

I think.

choron
    Free Member

Wow, some of the reasoning employed here actually gave me a headache.

Speaking as a member of the IOP*, this is as previously noted a restating of Russell’s paradox:

“if R is the set of all sets which do not contain themselves, does R contain itself?”

Incidentally, this forms an example of Goedel’s incompleteness theorem, which was part of the reason that Russell gave up on maths and became a philosopher.

* I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of the IOP

GJP
    Free Member

Cougar your problem is that you are double counting – your probabilities of a, b, and d add up to 1.5. Probability can only be between 0 and 1. You have double counted your a) and d)

phil.w
    Free Member

What do we think of this

that your thinking about it too much 🙂

it’s an unanswerable question as the answer is 25% until you give the answer then it becomes 50% until you give the answer then it goes back to 25% and so on….

it’s got bugger all to do with statistics and any other forms of mathematics. it is a variation of a vicious circle paradox.

it’s a slightly more complex version of this one… (not really more complex, the maths element just makes it miss leading)

“this sentence is false”
    or
    “is the answer to this question no?”

both of which lead you into a never ending circle where the answer changes as soon as you give the answer.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Probability/Multiple Choice’ is closed to new replies.