Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Printer help required
  • cudubh

I am not very techy, hopefully this is fairly simple. We now have two laptops, one personal, one work. There are times when we are working on both, but in separate rooms. Is there a way to connect one or both of them wirelessly to the printer so that we can print when the laptop is in a different room? If it makes any difference the printer is an Epson Stylus SX200. Both laptops are wifi enabled if that helps.

Stoner
    Free Member

as woody says.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_print_server_wgps606.php

do a search for woreless print servers.

They should have USB ports for connecting to your printer.

cudubh

Thanks guys. I thought this must be possible but the boy in PC World said ‘no’ so I thought best ask STW.

midlifecrashes

Whoa there, before you spend your money. While the above advice is good, and those products will do the job, you have a cheap printer and are about to add a gadget of roughly the same value to make it wireless. Buy a new wireless printer for less than the cost of the gadget

Wireless HP printer £37.97, others are available etc

then maybe use the Epson until the ink runs out and bin it. maybe not the “eco” thing to do but that’s economics for you. A dedicated wireless printer will be easier to set up and manage and won’t have dangly wires either.

cranberry
    Free Member

I am prepared to be wrong, but with a £38 printer I would expect HP to kick your back door in every time that you go to buy an ink cartridge.

And not send you a card at Christmas.

geoffj

Alternatively just share the printer on one of the computers which you then leave on.

I would expect HP to kick your back door in every time that you go to buy an ink cartridge.

Well yes, but other ink providers are available.

cudubh

Oh no, it’s all starting to get complicated now. I hadn’t realised you could get a wireless printer so cheaply. I’ll have a look at the cost of ink which always seems horrendous whichever printer you have.

Geoff,

I don’t understand the ‘share’ thing. I really am pretty confused by all this modern technology.

geoffj

I don’t understand the ‘share’ thing. I really am pretty confused by all this modern technology.

There is a setting in the printer setting bit which will allow you to turn printer sharing on. Once you have done that, you should be able to see the printer as a network printer from the other computer.

Have a look here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I would ditch the current printer and buy a new wifi one. I have done the same thing in out apartment, pc and 2 laptops linked to it. It was a doddle to set up and I ebayed the old printer to recover some of the cost it sold for a surprising £15.

cudubh

Thanks again everybody. Maybe a new Wifi printer is the simplest option.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I just thought when the old printer died I would be left with a £40 gadget, as any new printer purchase would be wifi anyway. I’d sooner ditch the old printer and put the money is spend on a gadget on a new printer. Check eBay etc… For ink prices before you buy.

allthepies
    Free Member

You can share the printer using your existing setup without the need to buy anything new. Basically your wireless laptop connects to the PC which the printer is plugged into and prints via that route.

Or you buy a Wifi printer, I bought one at the w/e from Comet

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Multi-Function-Printers/buy-EPSON-SX515-Multi-Function-Printer/554251

Currently 10% off, an extra 3% off via quidco and if you register with Comet Perks ( http://www.comet.co.uk/static/sitepages/perks/comet_perks ) then you get a fiver off (register then tell them in store you’ve registered with Comet Perks and give your Email addy – assuming you order online and go for store collection)

So comes in at around £48

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Printer help required’ is closed to new replies.