Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Prince Charles as a weather forecaster.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Awesome!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ureWG3pHyFE[/video]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah I liked that, but I would prefer his dad doing it……I would really enjoy being told how “ghastly” the weather was going to be.

In fact I’d really like it if his dad had his own saturday evening comedy TV show 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m no royalist but I found it pretty funny in a surreal sort of way, given how much like an old school weather forecaster he came over as.

BoardinBob

I’m no royalist but I’ve always liked Charles. He actual seems to have a bit of personality. I’m fairly certain the queen died about 20 years ago and they’ve replaced her with a robotic imposter.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I enjoyed it too. He didn’t have to do it and it is a brave thing to do to expose yourself to almost certain ridicule. Good on him.

I’m a school teacher and I’ll be encouraging the pupils to have shot at doing a forecast. I doubt many will find it easy to give it a go.

bruneep

Ahem keep up at the back. 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

He is good. A natural. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I also think he would make a far better monarch than Liz. She does basically nothing, he actually puts forward opinions and promotes ideas, some of which are actually quite good. And he seems to have a TV manner that goes further than reading from a page woodenly.

totalshell

brave effort .. i d have bottled .

bwaarp
    Free Member

He seems like an intelligent bloke, shame he was a few properly loony beliefs.

bruneep
    jamesy01
    Free Member

Camilla at it

Think I’ll skip this and head straight for the eye bleach…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

shame he whas a few properly loony beliefs.

Such as?

Organic farming? A good thing, I think.
    Care about architecture and the conservation of important buildings? Seems good to me.
    Homeopathy? Yep, on that one he’s a nutbag.
    The Prince’s Trust? Loony? Erm. No.
    Owning classic Astons and running them on old wine? Running his other cars on cooking oil? Cool. I approve.

So, apart from the homeoquackery, where are the “loony beliefs”?

donsimon
    Free Member

Unfortunately my impression of him is based on the last meeting, he didn’t come across well. I guess he could have changed since then though.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Prince big ears skateboarding…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00d8w29

allthegear
    Free Member

He did a better job with the voice over on Welcome to the Pleasuredome for Frankie Goes to Hollywood…

http://www.chartsinfrance.net/player.php?id=109881306

(yes, I am that old)

Rachel

hh45
    Free Member

So, apart from the homeoquackery, where are the “loony beliefs”?

Recommending that people talk to their flowers to encourage them to grow?

I’m quite sympathetic to a lot of homeopathy if people are paying for it themselves. Tiger’s c0ck soup is clearly wrong (IMO!) but acupuncture, osteopathy and loads of others seem to work well.

brooess
    Free Member

Fair play to him. And he’s actually pretty funny 🙂
    Like anyone who’s prepared to stand by what he believes in (which takes more courage than most in his Establishment, future-king position) he’s been given a hard time. And he’s proven himself to be ahead of the curve on a lot of it too.
    This is a great piece of PR cos he comes across as pretty down to earth tbh

Radioman

I think he’s a great sport for doing that especially as he often gets such a hard time in the media for standing up for his beliefs. As said above good on him and it proves he has a great sense of humour. It’s nice to see in a high ranked person like that that they don’t always need to take themselves seriously.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why is that a loony belief ? It is a scientific fact that plants can grow better if they are listening to classical music. Rice plants particularly like Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata.

So I don’t see why whispering a few tender loving words of encouragement wouldn’t help.

Obviously if you start bollocking them and tell them to hurry up and grow, then it’s likely to upset them and cause them to wilt.

But a few kind words costs nothing and can only help to boost a plant’s self-esteem.

zokes
    Free Member

Obviously if you start bollocking them and tell them to hurry up and grow, then it’s likely to upset them and cause them to wilt.

This totally depends on the plant in question. If you yell at a wimpy daffodil, of course it will start crying; but if you yell and snarl at a hardy bramble, it’ll be more than up to the challenge. I hear Japanese Knot Weed is into thrash metal.

johnnystorm

I’m quite sympathetic to a lot of homeopathy if people are paying for it themselves. Tiger’s c0ck soup is clearly wrong (IMO!) but acupuncture, osteopathy and loads of others seem to work well.

Therein lies the problem. Someone like him with a lot of media exposure bigs up these “remedies” so people assume they work. Have a look at Bad Science by Dr Ben Goldacre, there’s bugger all proper scientific evidence for accupuncture, osteopathy, homeopathy, crystals and their ilk.

Dobbo

I think he’s a great sport for doing that especially as he often gets such a hard time in the media for standing up for his beliefs.

That because he’s a hypocrite (especially on eco issues) and the media like to highlight this, when they are not being drawn in by this kind of royalist PR stunt that is.

molgrips
    Free Member

If I remember correctly that was said as a bit of light hearted gareners chat, rather than an attempt at science.

That because he’s a hypocrite (especially on eco issues)

Go on?

Dobbo

Go on?

Just google it, you’ve got the planes, trains, cars and windmills to choose from.

GrahamS

Yeah, he encourages people to be green, but steadfastly refuses to cycle to Royal engagements and insists on taking cars and planes.

Tsk. I ask you.

cupra
    Free Member

Have a look at Bad Science by Dr Ben Goldacre, there’s bugger all proper scientific evidence for accupuncture, osteopathy, homeopathy, crystals and their ilk.

Does that matter as long as the person feels better i.e. it works for them?

Back on topic I thought Charles forecast effort was really good and fair play to him and Camilla for doing it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just google it, you’ve got the planes, trains, cars and windmills to choose from

I think there’s room to be a moderate green and still take cars and planes etc. Is he actually insisting on a hair shirt for everyone or just a bit of respect and moderation?

richmtb

Fair play to him.

I’ve always had a lot of time for Charles, he seems to be the most genuine out of all the royals.

Plus his favourite whisky is Laphroaig

GrahamS

It does when that person starts telling other people to throw away their nasty pills and instead use crystals and happy thoughts to treat their potentially-fatal-but-treatable disease.

Alcopop
    Free Member

Thought he came across very well seems a very likeable guy
    plus my kids thought it was great as he mentioned Dumfries house
    just along the road from us

Dobbo

Is he actually insisting on a hair shirt for everyone or just a bit of respect and moderation?

Google wasn’t working then?

“The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, together with a 14-strong entourage, will visit Chile, Brazil and Ecuador on an official tour.
    The visit will focus on the key issues of environmental sustainability and climate change.
    The Prince has decided to take a private jet for the 16.000-mile trip. The plane will be an Airbus 319 which seats 29. At the flight to South America the ‘royal jet’ will release 322 tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.”

Plus….

“Sceptics attacked the Prince for using the Royal train for his four-day tour which has cost around £50,000.

The train has eight carriages for a core party of 14 – a galling prospect to anyone who has ever been left standing in a crammed train with their nose stuck in a stranger’s stinky armpit.

Despite preaching a message of sustainability, it’s hard to see a member of the Royal Family as a role model for frugal living.”

Depends on your idea of moderation I suppose.

A wind farm link.

Then there’s even an oyster farm one as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ouch.

GrahamS

The Prince has decided to take a private jet for the 16.000-mile trip.

To be fair, that’s a long walk!

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes it does not matter whether it works it only matters that the poor sap taking it thinks it works 😕

amusing attempt by chaz but i would still abolish the lot of them

cupra
    Free Member

It does when that person starts telling other people to throw away their nasty pills and instead use crystals and happy thoughts to treat their potentially-fatal-but-treatable disease.

I hear you but it’s an individual choice, it’s their body. But at a less extreme level e.g. back pain, migraines I don’t see the problem. If you are in pain / ill health surely it is worth trying all options for relief a try whether backed up by science or not. Science doesn’t know / cure everything.

GrahamS

I hear you but it’s an individual choice, it’s their body.

True, but people shouldn’t have to suffer just because they are gullible.

If they know all the facts and choose alternative medicine the fair play to them.

I’ll let Dara complete my argument…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvMb90hem8[/video]

cupra
    Free Member

True, but people shouldn’t have to suffer just because they are gullible.

I think you do a lot of people a disservice. Also there are plenty cases out there where ‘quackers’ techniques have fixed medical issues that modern medicine hasn’t. Whether that is psychosomatic or as a genuine intervention, the result has been positive. My own back being a case in point.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you are in pain / ill health surely it is worth trying all options for relief a try whether backed up by science or not. Science doesn’t know / cure everything.

It can tell you when something does not work and this is what it does.
    You can of course ignore this and take a broad spectrum placebo instead that is your right

GrahamS

there are plenty cases out there where ‘quackers’ techniques have fixed medical issues that modern medicine hasn’t.

Alternative medicine worked well for this guy too:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8841347/Steve-Jobs-regretted-trying-to-beat-cancer-with-alternative-medicine-for-so-long.html

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Prince Charles as a weather forecaster.’ is closed to new replies.