Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • prince
  • racefaceec90

i have never understood why he never seems to appear on any great guitarist lists.the guy is one of the best guitarists i have ever heard.just listening to his purple rain album alone is proof enough for me. [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSRlhtduXv4&feature=like-suggest&list=UL[/video] a true musical genius 😀

highclimber
    Free Member

I concur

chupucabra
    Free Member

An amazing writer,arranger and producer as well.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just the one number 1, amazingly.

I could listen to Raspberry Beret all day long. It never fails to cheer me up.

sc-xc

A colleague o mine (project manager) loves prince too. Never really understood it.

Bez

Epic music genius. Best live performer ever, plays everything effortlessly – including the rest of the band. Get him in a small venue and it’s just incredible.

Still have a big stack of bootleg tapes of various 80s gigs in the loft. Must rip those and the vinyl to MP3 sometime…

Cougar

I’m sure he’s very good, but The Artist Formerly Known As The Artist Formally Known As Prince is far too bloody irritating for me to get as far as appreciating his music.

See also: David Blaine.

highclimber
    Free Member

could you not have found a better video than one that has screaming amreicans on it?

racefaceec90

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYw967um3Es[/video] 😉

druidh
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzULphmCgfo[/video]

It was a long time before I found out that the vocals for the album track were taken from this live concert.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m sure he’s very good, but The Artist Formerly Known As The Artist Formally Known As Prince is far too bloody irritating for me to get as far as appreciating his music.
    See also: David Blaine.

Apples and tarmac.

I dunno, I liked all his stuff before he pulled that stunt. What exactly were you doing in the eighties? It can’t all have been Dire Straits and Steely Dan.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

i have never understood why he never seems to appear on any great guitarist lists.the guy is one of the best guitarists i have ever heard.

Don’t know if it’s because he’s too eccentric, or maybe too difficult to categorise for yer average music journo(?).

I’ve always enjoyed his guitar playing – cheers for posting the vid (just wish there was a volume control for the audience!)

Cougar

I dunno, I liked all his stuff before he pulled that stunt. What exactly were you doing in the eighties? It can’t all have been Dire Straits and Steely Dan.

Er, listening to Dire Straits. (-:

Don’t know if it’s because he’s too eccentric,

I always had him pegged as being arrogant and self-important. In fairness though, it’s so long since he was last on my radar that I’d be hard pressed to say for sure. I might just’ve been bitter cos I wasn’t getting any.

druidh
    Free Member

Is it coz he is black?

Junkyard
    Free Member

iirc he had to do that name change for legal reasons due to a contract dispute and not having the rights to his own name hence the name he chose.

not a fan but I do respect him.

trailmonkey

i’m sure that prince plays that really obscure guitar doodle at the start of like a prayer by madonna – yup the one that no one has ever heard because it didn’t appear on the radio edit. you might hear it if you find like a prayer on youtube.

whilst i can’t deny his ability as a guitarist, his style does little for me.

generally like his music though, sign o’ the times is still one of the greatest musical observations ever.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of yours JY. But I do respect you. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    i’m sure that prince plays that really obscure guitar doodle at the start of like a prayer by madonna – yup the one that no one has ever heard because it didn’t appear on the radio edit. you might hear it if you find like a prayer on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcy6ORQm-iM

??

Junkyard
    Free Member

😀

Bez

I always had him pegged as being arrogant and self-important.

Oh, totally. You’re spot on. The guy’s a cock (sometimes you think maybe he realises it as well, when he comes up with lyrics like “don’t abuse children or else they’ll turn out like me”).

But as a musician and a performer he’s just incomparable.

trailmonkey

that’s the one druidh. i don’t think i heard in until about 20 years after it was released even though i new the rest of the song inside out.

druidh
    Free Member

First time I’d heard it was tonight – after your post!

robkhoo
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5MfZzlHyzs[/video]

Awesome… a masterclass in how to do a big ending. And Sheila E and some go-go dancers.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m imagining tm dancing to Papa Don’t Preach. 😯

It’s not pretty I tell ya. 🙂

Bez

Heh. I spent a bit of my teenage years digging up bootlegs and the occasional obscure single but somehow it’s never occurred to me to go looking on YouTube for this stuff 🙂

trailmonkey

First time I’d heard it was tonight – after your post!

it’s bit odd though huh ? doesn’t really make much sense.

I’m imagining tm dancing to Papa Don’t Preach.

It’s not pretty I tell ya.

i’m not ashamed to admit that ray of light is one of my all time favouritest albums.

Bez

Ooh – that one that racefaceec90 posted – Syracuse ’85, I think I’ve had that whole gig on a bootleg tape for the last 20 odd years – never seen it with pictures 🙂

racefaceec90

trailmonkey no need to be ashamed ray of light is an awesome album (as far as i’m concerned 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Now imagining tm “Vogue-ing” 🙂

trailmonkey

😯

even i don’t want to imagine that

emsz
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZhKyVfb76c[/video]

early stuff is v v funky and dirrrty as well.

song to piss off your parents LOL

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Epic music genius. Best live performer ever, plays everything effortlessly – including the rest of the band. Get him in a small venue and it’s just incredible.

Sums it up

vegasdave
    Free Member

Lucky enough to have seen him in concert on three occasions. A true genius.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sign o’ the Times is possibly one of the most wonderful tracks ever recorded and would still sound fresh and new if it had just been released yesterday.

scraprider
    Free Member

yep agree one of the best .

edhornby

listen to the guitar break on ‘Kiss’ and tell me that isn’t quality

langylad
    Free Member

Saw him live twice in the 80’s, made michael jackson look like he had concrete socks on

warton
    Free Member

Check out while my guitar gently weeps rock and roll hall of fame on YouTube. He takes the piss incredibly well!

stevestunts
    Free Member

Incredible musician and producer, and although he’s a global superstar I’d say he’s still very much underrated, considering his abilities.

He seems to be able to turn his hand to any sound and make it seem like he invented it.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘prince’ is closed to new replies.