Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • pressing headsets cheaply
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

any one used one of these?

ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADSET-PRESS-INSERTION-TOOL-LOW-COST-HANDLE-/110718285099?pt=UK_Spots_Leisure_Cycling_Tools_RepairKits&hash=item19c752f52b#ht_798wt_883

any good or a bit of a bodge?

Junkyard
    Free Member

here?? this one I assume
    not much to go wrong that I can see but why not just use a hammer tbh. Never damaged any frame this way- never tried it on a carbon one though

nbt

for £7 you could make one from a piece of threaded rod and some nuts. I did and it’s done loads of headsets

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Never damaged any frame this way- never tried it on a carbon one though

Me neither. But I have used a hammer on a cabin frame. It’s fine. 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

you could, but for £7 all the work has been done, doesn’t look too bad to be honest.

ivantate
    Free Member

bit of wood and a hammer. great on alloy frames but steel is a bit springy and tend to fight back

jimmyjames
    Free Member

I made one from threaded rod, nuts, big washers, bits of wood but if you have £7 and a job, go for the eBay number. Much easier.

andrewh
    Free Member

I use a bench vice, not attached to a bench.One cup at a time. Faultless.
    And useful for pressing and holding many other things too.

Gunz
    Free Member

I’ve always hammered mine in with no problems but to be honest that E-Bay one looks good value and well made for 7 quid.

mrbump
    Free Member

i’ve one off ebay and it works sweet as a nut. works much better than an hammer anyway!
    i even use the same all thread at work,but for the sake of 7 notes could be arsed to make one.

aracer
    Free Member

Threaded rod, nuts and washers is much better than a hammer – and something I’ve happily used with expensive headsets on carbon frames. That ebay thing is a ready-made threaded rod and nuts, but better, and I’d suggest pretty good value at that price.

big_scot_nanny

I got one of those, bugger to keep things aligned when you start tightening things up, but basically great. Cheap, does what it says on the tin.

Kev

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘pressing headsets cheaply’ is closed to new replies.