Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pressfit 30 Adapter with a 68mm BB Shell, able to use a Raceface chainset?
  • d45yth
    Free Member

Hi,
    I bought a frame that has a Pressfit BB shell(68mm)…I wasn’t interested in that and had planned to use an adapter so I could use a normal BB. I’ve just got the adaptor but on reading the instructions, they state it can only be used with a 68mm shell if it’s on a road bike! It seems that you don’t use the normal 2.5mm spacers on the cups, you use some other spacers inbetween the BB and chainset instead. What makes it worse is the fact the adapter is made by SRAM, the instructions show the correct spacing when using a GXP/Truvativ chainset, I’m sure they’re spaced differently to Shimano/Raceface anyway?
    Is my only option to send the adapter back, buy a PressFit30 BB and use the Problem Solvers adaptors so I can use my ordinary chainset?
    Thanks for any help with this.

stew
    Free Member

Have you tried one of these – Race face adaptor. I mistakenly bought one to use my XT cranks on a BB30 press fit Scott Scale – my LBS has since gone to Velotech for one of their adaptors. (ps. I’ve now got a RaceFace one going cheap if it’s right for your bike/cranks)

d45yth
    Free Member

Stew – That Raceface adaptor isn’t exactly what I was looking for, it would do for now though…how much are you wanting for it?
    What I was really after was something that would let me use my Chris King BB, I haven’t had the best of luck with Raceface’s offerings in the past…maybe the newer ones are different?
    Cheers.
    (EDIT – Just checked again and realised your adapter is for BB30 (42mm dia.). PF30 is 46mm. All these different standards are getting to be ridiculous!!!).

stew
    Free Member

Oh well – I guess I’ll have to ebay it 🙂 You’re right – it has gone a bit mad in the BB world. My next problem is to try & fit a shimano front mech to a 38.2 seat tube – maybe I should just have gone SRAM to begin with. Good luck

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve found the answer to my own question! According to the bloke who wrote this article on Art’s Cyclery Blog, he reckons you can use ordinary BB spacers as normal on the Sram adapter…I might as well give it a go. 😀

STATO
    Free Member

I think the reason SRAM dont want you running spacers is it reduces the amount of thread in the cups, so if your a ham fisted mechanic you could strip them since they are only plastic. If your careful im sure they will be ok.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pressfit 30 Adapter with a 68mm BB Shell, able to use a Raceface chainset?’ is closed to new replies.