Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Prague – what to do?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Long weekend away with the wife – booked a nice hotel.

ive been before but nearly 20 years ago so can’t remember much other than a really cool armoury store up by the castle selling chainmail and big swords.

What to do and where to eat and drink?

kimbers

Sex museum 🙂

Stayed at the Fusion hotel, which was very hip

Nice places to eat by the castle, but a bit pricier, than elsewhere, trams are a good way to get around

Be aware that they are quite loose with their definition of a museum, some are a bit shit

xora

Eat more meat than humanly possible for pennies 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

Well, we opted for champagne brunch followed by beer tasting followed by my fiancée being sick slumped on the pavement followed by me carrying her drunk ass back to the 5 star hotel we stayed at so could crawl in to the lift, along the corridor and into our room. I got a great video out of that and she got a banging hangover. I also got a fantastic burger on room service as consultation for not being able to see Herbaliser due to a passed out girlfriend. We stayed in the Emblem Hotel which I can recommend highly, especially the roof hot tub and the steak restaurant if you can get a spot. Top cocktails in the lounge downstairs also.

Rik
    Free Member

Already sorted the hotel, central just down from the famous bridge overlooking the river.

Don’t mind a bit of (craft or proper) beer tasting but it’s not going to be a pissup weekend. Nice bit of culture and something a bit different would be nice.

Is it still cheap (relatively)? last time I went we had silver service for a couple of quid and it was about 80p a pint and less than 40p off the main drags.

benp1

I went last year, was great

Lots of walking around, nice food. Walked around the palace, did some shopping, dinner, lunch etc

Went to the Opera one evening, very recommended. First time I’d been, lovely venue, translation to english (was sung in italian), amazingly cheap considering

Had a few drinks in a couple of places, that was pretty well priced too

beefheart
    Free Member

Coke and hookers.

chewkw
    Free Member

Their way of cooking duck meat is tasty … well the one I had long time ago.

Rik
    Free Member

Ooo…opera sounds good any links to a website?

benp1

Can’t remember how I booked it now, did it all online

But there’s a ticket office you can go to there and do it in person

I saw the Marriage of Figaro

Actually, just quick google throws this up, which looks familiar – http://www.narodni-divadlo.cz/en/state-opera

Was thinking about doing a segway tour there, didn’t in the end, but it did look good fun

Oh yeah, they are an amazing indoor food market, definitely worth a visit. With an eatery on the top floor

Klunk
    Free Member

Coke and hookers.

that’ll be an interesting conversation with his mrs !

mrchrispy

fizzy drinks and rugby players….what’s not for her to like???

jimdubleyou

Don’t eat the broccoli soup unless you have a cast iron gut and are prepared to spend the rest of the weekend farting the worst smell you can imagine.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m told there’s a big clock, a bridge and some castles or something – all I remember though is guns, stippers and booze. Oh and a multifloored nightclub which had a top floor that looked like something out of ‘Saw’.

I’m sure it’s nicer during daylight hours.

bombjack
    Free Member

Defo recommend the opera as a cheap night out. Order the tickets in the uk, pick them up at your hotel. Getting glasses of champagne during the interval for about £1 each will always be one of lifes great bargains!.
    Loads of nice eateries and micro breweries away from the main square, all within fairly short walks.
    TBH its probably one of the best city breaks I’ve had, my wife loved the fact she got spoilt, I loved the fact it was cheap 🙂

rickmeister

I thought the Planetarium was pretty interesting as well.

Zizkov TV tower gives some great views

Love Prague, great city.

natrix
    Free Member

The clock is a bit pants imho

When I was there my friend lost her passport and so we went to the Britsih Embassy to get a new one. Had a tour round at the same time, it’s a great place with some impressive artwork. (Probably not worth losing your passport for though………..)

The nuclear bunker tour is worth it if you like that sort of thing (gas masks ‘n guns) 😈

wait4me

Cake at the Obecni Dum café. Art deco loveliness and dirt cheap. Walk around lots. Great beer and bars. Remembering that smoking being banned in pubs is a good thing.

Jakester
    Free Member

There used to be a great jazz club (not a euphemism) off one of the squares that’s worth a look.

The park at the top of the hill by the palace is good for a yomp around and the restaurant half-way down was okay.

You can eat a lot of pork, and a lot of things cooked in pig fat. This chain was pretty good when I was there:

http://www.kolkovna.cz/

I think we just mooched around and went where our fancy took us!

theaccountant
    Free Member

Climb up the Petrin Tower – same side of the river as the castle

Great views over the city and castle

And will use up a few calories so you can visit the Choco Café

Darling Cabaret in the evening obviously

Rik
    Free Member

Lots of great ideas to google.

Zizkov TV tower looks great and the restaurant looks good too.

ikimbunza
    Free Member

I’ve an office there so manage to go quite a bit. A few ideas…

– Go up the tower on Petrin Hill for a good view of the city
    – The opera
    – Karlov Most, but get there EARLY in the morning
    – A great little restaurant called Dynamo behind the Opera
    – Zizkov Tower
    – Dancing House is fun to see if you find yourself in that part of the city but don’t make a special effort
    – Karlsteyn castle is really good if you fancy a trip out of the city. Its about 20 miles out but is quite easy to get to. Ask in your hotel

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Prague – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.