Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Potty training this weekend – any tips?
  • ac505
    Free Member

Okay, been putting it off long enough . so we’re going to roll our sleeves up and get up to our elbows in s£$%! Apart from covering anything of value in polyethene to prevent collateral damage, anybody have any good tips to get our little ‘un potty trained?

petrieboy

Just be confident they are ready really. Are they happy to sit on the potty?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes just get them practising and what ever you do dont let them carry the potty or fall in it
    Its not that traumatic tbh

redx

We’ve been building up to it slowly and have had a potty in the bathroom for a few months so No1 son (just turned 2) can use it if he wants a wee when he’s in the bath. He’s now got used to it and started asking to use it at other times of the day for both number ones & number twos. I’m not really looking forward to the day when he goes nappyless mind…..

ac505
    Free Member

He is happy on the potty and has used it for a pee before and during his bath quite a bit so ready to goni hope. Bought a few pairs of cheap boggles today so lots of clothes for the little accidents!

petrieboy

we’re about 2 weeks in and he’s pretty much got it licked. occational accident where he’s been too engrossed in playing outside but otherwise fine.

mintimperial

Get a couple of full HAZMAT suits. Here’s me and the wife earlier this year:

😉

Stick with it, the first couple of days will probably seem pretty hopeless. But kids learn by screwing up. Don’t get wound up when they get it wrong, that’s part of the process. Expect them to have accidents for weeks or even months afterwards. Expect to have to carry around even more junk (potties, spare clothes, etc) than when they were in nappies for quite a while. Expect them to freak out about taking a dump for some time. None of those things last that long though, and once you’re out the other side it’s so, so much better than dealing with nappies.

Good luck!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Best thing is, in our experience (of three), decide when the time is right, then go for it.

No more nappies during daytime, and no underwear at home if it’s warm enough in the house. As has been said, don’t get upset over the accidents, laugh them off (“Oh no, I did that the other day” works well). It doesn’t take too long.

project
    Free Member

ac505, if youre old ebnough to post on here, surely youre old enough to use a potty.

superfli
    Free Member

get a sticker/award chart. You can print them off the web and buy some stickers or get them free in one of the kids mags.

takisawa2

As said. Make sure he’s ready. We pushed our eldest into it too early & the poor lad still dirties his pants now, & he’s nearly 6.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Only – expect (and be prepared for) setbacks. At the worst possible moments.

#edit – oh and relax. Apparently. That’s the hard bit for the grown ups.

TooTall
    Free Member

Let the wife do it!

Lots of praise and lots of sitting on the floor with them encouraging.

molgrips
    Free Member

So how old are these kids then?

We’re doing it now age 2.5, she’s peed on the toilet at home a few times but she doesn’t really seem to want to do it – treats or not. She is very stubborn and happily ignores you if she’s not in the mood for something.

She seems to wonder why she should bother going on the potty when she knows we’ll put a nappy on her later when we need to go out. Pee at home seems ok now but poo is a different matter.

danandem
    Free Member

Just potty trained our 2 year old this week (after months of trying every now and again but just ending up detol-ing the carpets) all it took was just a single tube of smarties – sicker charts just didnt do it for her. We started with just one smartie after using the potty and now at the end of the week she doesn’t remember to ask for one – she just goes on her own. (I was feeling guilty about having to resort to sweety rewards but my Mum says that nearly everyone does it!)
    Em

Cooroo
    Free Member

There’s no hurry. Mine really didn’t want to know – I tried leaving off nappies and she howled – so I just didn’t bother. At 3 and a bit, she realised it was time, and after one accident everything was sorted. She was old enough to understand things. Became obsessed with weeing in public toilets!

She’s now 15, well adjusted and peeing just fine, so I guess I got it about right?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I got home one night this week to find a shit in the middle of the kitchen floor.

Which was nice.

DarrenH

All thats been said above really,
    don’t give up! I would of chucked the towel in after a day but for my fiance who kept at it and now our twins are pretty much there.
    +1 for the smartie rewards too,
    and really over-praise them when the hit the target and don’t make too much of a big deal when they miss (so to speak).

nmdbase
    Free Member

Easy, just don’t put nappies on too as they get confused.

bruk

Not anywhere near that stage yet,wee fella is only 14 months. Friends have suggested that buying the least absorbent and uncomfortable nappies helps. Either the eco friendly or super cheap ones we were told.

Otherwise just like house training a puppy. Reward good behaviour and ignore bad behaviour!

Sounds simple. Will have to wait and see!

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Positive poo reinforcement, don’t use negative words. Praise the poo and pee, take photos if needs be, and make a big deal out of it when successful – that’s a daddy poo! If they’re old enough let them carry the potty through to tip in the toilet and make a big deal of saying goodbye to the poo or pee then everyone wash hands. Great fun!

sparkyspice
    Free Member

My sister hoesed my neice in a cold shower the first time she peed her pants while potty training. My neice never did it again, although she does rock herself to sleep…
    We just waited until my kids were ready and encouraged them in a positive manner. Once you’ve started though, you’ve got to stick with it no matter where you are…

M6TTF
    Free Member

If they crap on the floor rub their nose in it like a dog. Works a treat 😉

yunki
    Free Member

naff off… yunki Jr is staying in nappies til he leaves home

lister

we waited with both of ours until they both decided ‘I don’t want a nappy today’…hardly had any accidents and both cracked the poo and night bits just as easily.
    Can’t understand the rush meself, some of our friends got in all sorts of bother by trying to force the issue.

molgrips
    Free Member

we waited with both of ours until they both decided ‘I don’t want a nappy today’.

Our kid would probably never say that, because she doesn’t particularly care for change on a personal front and would be probably three or for before making that choice. And size 6 nappies only just fit her, so we’re running out of time.

Anyway she must be doing okay, the bag of potty training Haribo treats is almost all gone…

Friends have suggested that buying the least absorbent and uncomfortable nappies helps. Either the eco friendly

Nature eco nappies are by far and away the best we used in terms of dryness, lack of nappy rash and not leaking.

yossarian
    Free Member

We’ve waited with both our lads until they wanted to do it. Youngest is 3 and a half and still has pull ups on at night. It’s not a race.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pull-ups don’t even fit on our Meg 🙁

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Potty training this weekend – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.