Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Posting a frame to USA
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

Has anyone posted a frame to America- if so any recommendations and idea of costs would be appreciated

Lester
    Free Member

i did
    but the buyer paid and arranged everything, if your selling to someone in usa i can ask him to send me the details of who he used?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

That would be good as initial quote I have recieved is £200!!

theocb
    Free Member

I’ve used parcelforce in the past. Value of insurance is normally where things get silly though.

Between £80 and £120 (weight dependant) for a frame with low value via tracked system

njee20
    Free Member

Trouble is that bike/frame boxes are big, and most couriers, particularly internationally, will be interested in volumetric weight, so it doesn’t matter that you parcel contains a lot of air, they treat it as weighing a load more, it still takes up that space.

To that end, be really accurate when you measure the box, don’t guess to the nearest 10cm – reduce the size in any way possible – ask the buyer if they’re happy reattaching swingarms and what not.

£200 probably isn’t a million miles off though!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

yes I think size definitely is a killer- I saw one forum that recommended seriously bubblewrapping and then just using cardboard pieces as a skin to reduce the size but that sounds too risky to me

theocb
    Free Member

If you book parcelforce on line then the price will be via volumetric weight but PF via the local postoffice seem to just use the old fashioned ‘stick it on the scales’.

Lester
    Free Member

i think he paid MORE than £200, i put it in the smallest frame size box i had and packed it as best i could and as light as i could.
    i just checked, he paid $470 us dollars !!
    if you email me i will send him your email address:-)

robdob
    Free Member

On Retrobike we send a lot of stuff over the pond and a bit back there was a serious change in the shipping rates – it has killed a lot of the frame/bike purchases from and to the USA. You used to be able to send a frame fully insured for less than £50 without too much bother but now it’s double that and more in most cases.

The problem is the package size, a frame even sparsely packed just extends enough into the size ranges that are expensive to ship.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

I posted a BMX Frame & forks to Anchorage, Alaska a few years ago. Think it was about £50.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Cheers fella – turns out he was a dreamer anyway!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Posting a frame to USA’ is closed to new replies.