Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Even in Scotland, the 'powers that be' trash trails
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I went for a ride around Kirkhill Forest at the weekend. I saw the sheer ignorant stupidity of whoever is doing the tree felling there.
    If you’ve got a 6 wheeled behemoth, you can drive anywhere. You don’t HAVE to drive along a trail, you can drive next to it so that when you’ve finished the logging activities, the trail still actually exists! Perhaps a DCC workman is on a busman’s holiday in the sunny North East of Scotland…
    Captions for this photo please:

legend
    Free Member

“Working forest in working forest shocker”

neilwheel
    Free Member

I’m not sure if they should have felled the immature trees or driven over the un-compacted more natural terrain instead?

plyphon
    Free Member

You don’t HAVE to drive along a trail

Actually, i’m fairly certain they do.

bruneep

Where about is that in khill?

13thfloormonk

If it’s any consolation, those muddy forest machinery tyre tracks can be an amazing amount of fun to ride if they are on a gradient, we spent a few weekends tidying up and riding them in our local forest, sort of like muddy bobsled runs.

legend
    Free Member

This ^ is very true. Spooky Woods at Glentress was much better when it was a dual slalom track!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation, those muddy forest machinery tyre tracks can be an amazing amount of fun to ride if they are on a gradient

There’s already an excellent example of that at Kirkhill.
    And a +1 for the where is that question?

freehighlander
    Free Member

Just seems that Forestry Scotland has abandoned all bike trails and are felling all mature stuff.

After all it is working land after all its all money at the end of the day.

Moray has been devastated by the local forestry MOST TRAILS being closed or abandoned “Due to Harvesting” but they still charge for parking at some trail heads. In some cases the abandoned trails they have vandalised to the point making them dangerous.

euain

Kirkhill is also about to get a dual-carraigeway running right through it. It may be that they’re clearing all this in advance of the earth movers arriving.

bruneep

Kirkhill is also about to get a dual-carraigeway running right through it. It may be that they’re clearing all this in advance of the earth movers arriving.

Are you sure of this?

yetidave
    Free Member
    duir
    Free Member

The forestry in Aberdeenshire seems to be sytematically making some of the most amazing forests in the area look like Hiroshima. In the process they have written off some stunning MTB trails. Lets hope they don’t get the rest of it.

bigjim

Its a commercial forest, a completely unnatural landscape of foreign tree species planted at great density purely to be cut down for profit in the future, you can’t really expect anything else.

freehighlander
    Free Member

But some of the trails have been put in by freely given money and donations and is fundamentally wrong NOT to reinstate trails. Tantamount to theft in my eyes.

duir
    Free Member

Well said, the point is they are decimating public footpaths, bridleways and rights of way without making any effort whatsoever to repair the damage they have done. A knock on effect is that some of the best MTB trails in the UK are being caught in the crossfire. This hideous form of felling leaves the landscape looking awful and it would be interesting to see if they intend to replant with the same cash crop or a more environmentally sound indigenous broad leaf as in other parts of the UK.

scotroutes

If you know of any Rights of Way that are blocked by felling you should report them to Scotways (info@scotways.com) or even just let me know and I’ll contact them for you.

Bridleways: I didn’t know we had any of those in Scotland.

bruneep

Yup thats the route I thought it was. Hardly

running right through it

tho is it?

I’ll pop up thursday to look do you have info on ROW routes for this area?

matt_outandabout

As above, it is a commercial forest in an unnatural landscape.
    BUT.

They have taken public money and in some cases donations and funding, and seem to make little effort to avoid damaging the trails and re-instating.

That pic at the top shows that a machine, driven 10′ to one side, would only cross a trail for a short length, so meaning that reinstatement or on-going access would cost a minimal amount. It seems though in some cases they are driving along the trail, thereby maximising damage and cost of reinstatement or reducing future access.

I wonder what people would say if a road was damaged and left in a similar state?

euain

Are you sure of this?

Not at all.. but having tried our normal ride out from Craibstone College and seen the carnage there, it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s going to be a lot of clearing at Kirkhill, even if it’s just for access during the build.

bigjim

If you know of any Rights of Way that are blocked by felling you should report them to Scotways (info@scotways.com) or even just let me know and I’ll contact them for you.

^ yep, I’d be very surprised if the FC were permanently removing or damaging ROW, they know the rules, and if they really are destroying and not reinstating trails built by donation/funding then I would definitely be having a word with those that let you do the trail building work, but I don’t think you could ever think it would be forever in a commercial forest.

I do view creation and use of trails in FC forests as a privilege though, not many landowners would be so willing to let us have our fun.

crosshair
    Free Member

It’s all part of the ebb and flow of large scale land use. Wait until the Wind Turbines arrive 😀

Looks far more radcore gnar to the max now anyway.

If the sign had said “New Enduro-path now Open” with a big arrow, the trailhead car park would be brimming with Volkswagon campers, Skodas and Audis 😀

(Or worse things have happened at sea as your nan may have said)

Ticklinjock

Trash the trails on or near the site, so Joe Public has no desire to go there while the harvesting is carried out.
    Just my theory, after seeing it going on in Highland region too.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Hang on, looking at that “footpath” it’s a bit bloody wide isn’t it? Either whoever built it could have made 4x the length with the same surface area, or they were taking advantage of an existing forestry track…
    If it was an existing forestry track it seems a bit disingenuous to complain that forestry business is also using the track every 10 or 20 years or so. It is about that for a crop isn’t it?

Obviously I am only commenting on the situation in the picture.

MoreCashThanDash

Bloomin’ Scots, never happy. It’s not like you have restrictions on your access is it…..

😉

roverpig

It’s a tricky one. It’s hard not to feel upset when one of your favourite trails gets trashed. On the other hand, there are thousands of miles of trails through forestry commission land in Scotland and we have the right of responsible access to all of it. Part of the deal is that we don’t interfere with the rights of the landowner to carry out their business. Basically we get to spend years enjoying some great trails, but have to accept that sooner or later they all get destroyed. It’s not such a bad deal really.

Deveron53
    Free Member

My main beef is that it’s Kirkhill. Basically the nearest ‘trail centre’ to the biggest concentration of population in the area. They also clear felled all around the Gordon Way at Bennachie. Destroying one of the most picturesque trails (multi-use) in the area. At least they didn’t drive the logging tractors along the trails there though!

I think with all the vast forests around the region, they should be more careful with the handful that they actually go to the trouble of promoting as leisure destinations with leaflets, maps and websites! “Here’s a lovely place to visit, now watch us trash it!”

Deveron53
    Free Member

For anyone still wanting the location, using ‘Strava speak’ it’s at the end of ‘Gorse Prickle Singletrack’. Part of the official red (does not indicate technical grade – it’s a green) route.

EDIT: I just checked the route map of the bypass. it’s pretty much going through the area in the photo! That Strava KOM will stand forever now!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Dammit, I had that KOM for ages and some bugger has taken it by 1 second. 😀

On the upside, it’s not one of the best trails at Kirkhill.

duir
    Free Member

Bridleways: I didn’t know we had any of those in Scotland.

Quite right. What I should have said was trails used by horse riders or from an MTB point of view, trails covered in horse s**t.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Dammit, I had that KOM for ages and some bugger has taken it by 1 second.

😉

I reckon in 2018, that the KOM will be taken by a roadie! The trail is parallel to the Northbound carriageway!

scotroutes

So, just to clarify..

That track shown in the photo is going to be obliterated by a dual carriageway. Why then would the forestry vehicles try to avoid it?

Deveron53
    Free Member

I know that now… hindsight is a wonderful thing. You may only have 15 minutes of it on stw.

Still, I quite like this thread even if it was ultimately pointless! The photo is nice I think.

scotroutes

😀

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

This happened a few years back on a couple of the better trails round the back of KH which is why I’ve only ridden there once in the last 3 years despite living 10 minutes away. KH used to be my go to trails but it’s just so rubbish it’s not worth the effort to ride out from town or even drive there. Pitfichie is starting to get the same as there has been pretty much zero maintenance work done by the FC on the trails over the last couple of years which is a shame as both it and KH have got so much potential to be so much better than they are.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Hmm, most of what was spoiled has been replaced with trails that are equally as good I reckon. It’s different but there’s still good trails there.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m sure the FC or local trail building fairies could use some feedback/ideas/manual labour to help them improve the place.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Quite right. What I should have said was trails used by horse riders or from an MTB point of view, trails covered in horse s**t.

I’d rather see horsesh1t than dogsh1t. Pitfichie fireroad climb has become a dog toilet. I’m thinking of putting up signs!

epicyclo

Meanwhile I’ve been muttering because the FC has resurfaced several trails in this area and taken all the fun out of them.

Poor buggers, can’t win…

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

It’s not so much that they can’t win. Unless it’s GT the FC just don’t seem to give a toss about any of the trails on their land. Yet they’re quick enough to stick in parking meters and charge you to park to use the said trails and claim it’s to help with the upkeep etc etc which is just BS for give us your money because we ain’t making enough on the commercial side at the minute!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Even in Scotland, the 'powers that be' trash trails’ is closed to new replies.