Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Post Office Modernisation suggestions…
  • 29erKeith
    Free Member

I would implement restrictions on services offered to the Elderly and Unemployed between the hours of 12:00 and 14:00 when people who work need to get things done in their lunch break

Bloody queue today arrgggghhh

I mean it's not like they couldn't do at any other time of the day

DickBarton

I'd fire all the folk who were striking and employ folk who are thankful of the job and not complaining that they feel undervalued and underpaid – it's work folks, everyone feels like that, just others accept that is how it is and get on with doing their best…

Just my view though…and probably thankfully I'm not ina position to do anything about it.

sofatester
    Free Member

I'd fire all the folk who were striking and employ folk who are thankful of the job and not complaining that they feel undervalued and underpaid – it's work folks, everyone feels like that, just others accept that is how it is and get on with doing their best…

+1

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Nuke it from orbit and get the Germans in to do a proper job.

geoffj

Oh ffs – I probably shouldn't, but I will bite.

It would seem that the issue is around how the modernisation is being handled, rather than the direct job losses. How would you like to be managed by someone who has had no investment in his/her skills as a manager and has little/no idea about:
    a) what the modernisation will mean in terms of job losses locally; and
    b) how to manage the reduncancy / restructuring process itself?

Sure there are going to be some disgruntled posties annoyed at not being able to bugger off home after they have finished their round at noon, but there are probably many more who just want to know:
    1) What is happening; and
    2) How is it going to affect them directly.

Crozier needs to take a long hard look at what he has in place in terms of competent managers to manage the modernisation process.

Not exactly lions being managed my donkeys, probably more like cart horses being managed by donkeys. Either way, if I was a postie I'd be out – and I usually have little sympathy for strikers.

postierich
    Free Member

Give us a 5 day week Mon-Fri With a later start say 7am to 4pm shorter working week from 40 to 37hrs.
    If people want a delivery on Saturday they pay extra!!!! I,m sure there would be plenty of volunteers and a nice partime job for the old folk

Remove the current top level management and replace with some forward thinking dynamic managers that recieve a basic salary and base any bonuses on customer satisfaction and ALL profits pumped back into the buisness and the pension fund.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its like Britan in the 70's all over again.

AndyP
    Free Member

+2

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

AndyP – Member

+2

+3

whytetrash

+4

I think any organisation that effectively holds a monopoly on the service it offers should be banned from striking, as is the case for the Police

Got a massive postal survey for a client going on at the moment and these postal strikes are costing me big time in terms of time, stress and money!

Shorter working week! plenty of people out there happy to have a job let alone quibbling over 3 hrs 👿

khegs
    Free Member

Fortunately you can't summarily dismiss legally striking workers and replace them with scabs, else we'd be back to pre 18th century working practises and conditions. Yes the RM probably does need to be slimmed down and made more efficient, still better then US postal though.

The service has gone downhill, but that is as much the fault of the handsomely paid management as it is the apocryphal lazy useless postie, I suspect. Adam Crozier gets £3m a year to alienate his work force and close down local post offices in towns and villages nationwide, Paving the way for selling off all the profitable bits piecemeal?

martp
    Free Member

postierich – Member

Give us a 5 day week Mon-Fri With a later start say 7am to 4pm shorter working week from 40 to 37hrs.
    If people want a delivery on Saturday they pay extra!!!! I,m sure there would be plenty of volunteers and a nice partime job for the old folk

Remove the current top level management and replace with some forward thinking dynamic managers that recieve a basic salary and base any bonuses on customer satisfaction and ALL profits pumped back into the buisness and the pension fund

Postierich For top union job the best ideas I heard so far for modernisation. 😀 18 years as a Postman 16 years paying a pension to be told the Royal Mail took a holiday from their payments! Now we're been made out to be the bad guy's cause Royal Mail must make more profit to fill the PENSION BLACK HOLE.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'd be interested to see how much posties/managers are paid, it's pretty hard to feel much sympathy for postal workers though.

grumm
    Free Member

So if your employer made you work longer hours for no more pay, or less pay, without consulting and despite being a profitable business, you'd just shut up and get on with it eh?

samuri
    Free Member

So if your employer made you work longer hours for no more pay, or less pay, without consulting and despite being a profitable business, you'd just shut up and get on with it eh?

Yep. I do. It's better than no job at all. If we all went on strike then the company would lost the business it's getting for good and then we'd all lose our jobs when the company went under. I'm always amazed me that people striking don't seem to realise how much damage they do to the company when they strike. The businesses that use the company don't shrug their shoulders and wait for the bad times to be over, they go somewhere else and then they stay there. They need to make money too.

If I don't like the conditions I move companies, I don't try to kill the one I'm currently with.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Aren't Royal Mail losing some major contracts daily because of the actions? Surely job losses are even more likely now?

uplink
    Free Member

I really haven't followed this so feel free to knock holes in it but I thought they'd been simply asked to actually stay at work for the hours they get paid for instead of the previous practice of 'job & knock'?

TBH – the posties could do with some better PR, the reasons for the strikes are far too ambiguous & they need to get some clear, concise info out.

Pook

Yes, I have to. If i didn't, the company i work for would be out of business and i wouldn't have a job at all.

Royal Mail started going downhill when they stopped making posties wear proper uniform. Go back to work – you're in a much more fortunate position than many thousands of others and are coming across as greedy asking for more when times are hard.

Like Samuri says, as a business we'll just look elsewhere for reliable service, and the more you strike, the more business they will get, the more comprehensive service they will be able to provide and the more the writing will be on the wall for RM.

vinnyeh

samuri posted:

Yep. I do. It's better than no job at all.

two weeks ago samuri posted:

samuri – Member

I work an awful lot of hours.

But I wouldn't do one extra hour over my 37.5 if I didn't get paid overtime for it. I keep wishing work would say I shouldn't be claiming overtime and would hand my mobile phone and laptop over in a second. No problem, lets see who gives in first.

😈

vinnyeh

Yes, I have to. If i didn't, the company i work for would be out of business and i wouldn't have a job at all.

Is this not what they call flogging a dead horse? Shouldn't the company be left to go under? The quote you're replying to specified 'despite being a profitable business'.

funkynick

samuri/pook/etc… surely that goes both ways though doesn't it? The companies who are doing things that cause their employees to go on strike must be well aware of that too, and yet they still go ahead and do it, knowing that it will cause the workers to go out on strike.

Laying all that responsibility on the striking workers kinda assumes that the company is always right…

Speshpaul

Nice work vinnyeh.

mudsux
    Free Member

striking to save your job is like shagging to keep your virginity.

the UK employment market has progressed far enough and is heavily legislated without the need for Luddite unions whose own management are first to call a strike but last to lose their jobs.

ddmonkey

E-mail?

uplink
    Free Member

uplink – Member

I really haven't followed this so feel free to knock holes in it but I thought they'd been simply asked to actually stay at work for the hours they get paid for instead of the previous practice of 'job & knock'?

Can any posties confirm this is correct & one of the reasons?
    I really would like to hear a clear reason for the strikes but it I never seem to hear anything definitive

matt_outandabout

Can any posties confirm this is correct & one of the reasons?

For me, this is one of the issues of this dispute – I don't think the Union or PO management are putting across a clear and coherent list of what issues they are arguing over.

Pook

Is this not what they call flogging a dead horse? Shouldn't the company be left to go under?

No, it's what they call putting in the hours to get the job done. Which we do. Small company. Sometimes the work requires you putting in more time than perhaps you're contracted to. I do it. So would my colleagues. We do it 'cos it's the right thing to do by our clients/customers.

samuri
    Free Member

Nice work vinnyeh.

How so? Where did I say anything about my pay details?

Olly
    Free Member

Remove the current top level management and replace with some forward thinking dynamic managers that recieve a basic salary and base any bonuses on customer satisfaction and ALL profits pumped back into the buisness and the pension fund.

Tick, i was avoiding saying anything, but that clears up a queery i had.

why has it got to make profit at all?
    its a public service, ffs, even if it makes a loss, and gets propped up by taxes occasionally, it doesnt matter, as long as it works as it should.

it should be treated like any other public service, not as a business (in my opinion)

there CERTAINLY shouldnt be big pay bonuses for the top end.
    what management needs doing? its not really an "evolving" job, parcels go in, get moved around overnight, parcels come out, and they tend to go to the right place at the right time.

uplink
    Free Member

why has it got to make profit at all?
    its a public service, ffs, even if it makes a loss, and gets propped up by taxes occasionally, it doesnt matter, as long as it works as it should.

A fully funded public service is what it should be but, without profit there's no investment capital unless the taxpayer directly funds it

postierich
    Free Member

Job and knock was brought about by RM management as a deal clincher to make posties stay in the office untill the last bits of mail(missorts from other offices)ie the second delivery.
    So posties left the office @ 9.00am instead of 7am but they did not do a 2nd delivery hence job and finish.
    Pay and Mod agreement 07 included to utilise all hours payed for,but since then they have been sacking,giving voluntary redundancy to lots of fulltime post people(40hrs) and only taking on PT bag carriers(25 hrs).
    Which means we are now very light on sorting staff in the morning hence we now leave the office @ 10.15am.
    You now get pressurised to work over your time and not paid OT and be expected to "bank" your hours for another day so you could be working till 3pm on certain days and finishing @ 12 on other days basically getting RM out of the shit because they cannot manage the mail pipeline efficently
    #
    #

RichPenny
    Free Member

-1. None of your business 😉

uplink
    Free Member

Cheers Rich

You lot do really need to get a clear message out though – nobody outside of the business really has a clue what it's all about

thomthumb
    Free Member

You lot do really need to get a clear message out though – nobody outside of the business really has a clue what it's all abou

+1

there is very little understanding about the issue. 'modernisation' doesn't really mean much. even the cwu website is not clear. it makes it hard for us the publis to sympathise.

zokes
    Free Member

shorter working week from 40 to 37hrs.

Oh FFS. It's not bloody France you know! Christ! I'm very much in agreement with Samuri – if you don't like it, either suck it up or find a better job.

I currently work over 60 hours per week, yet am only salaried for 40. If I want a career, I do it, and as (for the most part) I quite enjoy the job it's no issue. Perhaps though, I should go on strike so I can be paid the hourly rate for my 'paid for' hours during 'the work I do for free'. I could do with another 50%…..

In the mean time, if the striking RM work force can't see the writing on the wall for the entire company, then collectively then need some new glasses!

ransos
    Free Member

An odd line of argument on this thread – that because you've been screwed over by your employer, then posties should accept being screwed over too. It smacks of jealousy.

Oh, and it's not a monopoly. TNT have a license to deliver letters nationwide. They don't, because it's not profitable.

ourmaninthenorth

You lot do really need to get a clear message out though – nobody outside of the business really has a clue what it's all about

+2. I have absolutely no idea what this is about, and I am pretyy well informed. It's a PR disaster for both RM plc and also the CWU, neither of whom has for a minute considered that they are both doing a highly effective job of pulling apart a public service. Both RM and CWU just appear to be squabling like children.

ransos
    Free Member

"Both RM and CWU just appear to be squabling like children."

I agree. They should have both agreed to binding arbitration (without pre conditions) from the beginning.

AndyP
    Free Member

It smacks of jealousy.
    it really doesn't.

ransos
    Free Member

"it really doesn't."

Just because you've not been able to achieve decent T&Cs for yourself, it doesn't automatically follow that posties should accept the same fate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Post Office Modernisation suggestions…’ is closed to new replies.