Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Possible scam, advise please.
  • andyl46
    Free Member

An item i was looking at on ebay’s auction came to a close. Then a very similar item appeared on the classifieds here shortly after, appearing to be from the same seller. On further investigation, the same item from the same seller looks to have been sold on ebay two weeks ago.

So, if the first auction failed due to a timewaster, fair enough. The second ebay description did not mention this. There is a matter of only hours between the second auction finishing and the advert on here, surely the sale hasn’t fallen through already? The ad on here asks for substantially more than the auction closed at, has the seller not got the price they wanted so is trying elsewhere?

Am I being overly suspicious? Your thoughts please.

j_me
    Free Member

Show us the links ?

andyl46
    Free Member

Dont want to make it personal yet, but unless someone can come up with an alternative reason rather than multiple items exactly the same using the same pics I’ll post the links shortly.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

someone bought it and is selling it here straight away?

andyl46
    Free Member

Using a remarkably similar user name to the ebay seller?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

How do you know it’s the same seller Mr Rossi?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Using a remarkably similar user name to the ebay seller?

Sorry, i misunderstood, I saw you were asking for our thoughts, hadn’t realised it was so you could be dismissive about them. Normally I get a penny for them, but I’d give you my next one for free

scaredypants

have a look at the seller’s posting history

no guarantee of honesty but those with lots of time invested in the forums (other than classifieds) possibly stand to lose more if they’re outed as a bandit

is it bike stuff, or an electrical communications device, by any chance ? – at least 1 person has been buying/selling lots of the latter lately

andyl46
    Free Member

Either its the same seller or the reseller is using the original sellers internet identity. They are not a new member here or on ebay, and have exactly the same user ID’s.

The second ebay auction may have fallen through, but to have it fall through twice and then to re-advertise it on here within a couple of hours of teh ebay auction closing just seems a little quick off the mark.

I could of course be overly suspicious, but it seems a little strange to me, and I’m wondering whether to make an offer, think I’ll leave it.

andyl46
    Free Member

Charlie, apologies if that seemed overly sharp.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

maybe he didn’t get the price he wanted and will blow off the auction winner?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Maybe they bid for their own item (or got a friend to) to try and bump the price up, but they won the auction. i think that’s quite common. So they are now trying their luck on here, to get the price they want.

catnap
    Free Member

i wish you would just tell us who it is OH THE SUSPENCE 😀

andyl46
    Free Member

Hmm, the sellers history on here seems genuine, and their ebay feedback is from many genuine buyers, so I’ll not post links as I would not want to cast aspersions on anyone directly without any evidence. It still doesn’t look right to me, so I’ll keep my wallet in my pocket.

Apologies for wasting your collective time, thanks for also confirming some of my suspicions about possible explanations!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Possible scam, advise please.’ is closed to new replies.