Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Positive experiences with Superstar Components
  • emmodd
    Free Member

Just wanted to share my recent experience with my fellow Singletrackers.

Posted on hear over the weekend about a problem I was having with the free hub seizing in the body of my Switch hub when I fitted then wheel, and it was suggested I was missing a spacer.

I emailed Superstar and got a response today confirming that was correct and I was referred to a link to their site with said spacer (which had been added just today as a new product). Ordered the spacer and within half an hour had a confirmation email that my order had been dispatched. All being well, that means I get to have a spin on my new Dialled Alpine tomorrow!

Thanks Superstar – top service!

druidh
    Free Member

fourbanger
    Free Member

Bought some Shimano Deore hubs and they’d been designed AND tested before they started selling them.

Thanks Shimano – Top service!

retro83
    Free Member

clucking bell, £4 for a spacer

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought some superstar BB’s. They both failed within 8 rides, as apprently I’d installed them incorectly*. But on a possitive note I must have installed them both correctly the second time after pressing in some SKF bearings.

*I just wish superstar would include instructions on how to thread a BB into a frame rather than super well hidden CCTV in my workshop to see me doing something unspecified incorectly.

porter_jamie

why didnt you have the spacer to start with?

emmodd
    Free Member

I lost it switching the axle out.

Superstar were correcting my mistake , not their own.

sheepdog
    Free Member

i’ve had some superstar hubs on my mtb for about 5000 miles, not touched them once, that can’t be too bad, can it ?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Been happy with everything I’ve bought from them, same for all my riding buddies. I’ve had no need to contact customer support so can’t comment on poor service.
    Goods have always been dispatched promptly and arrived well packaged.

Lots of negative reviews on here though

matt_outandabout

why didnt you have the spacer to start with?

^this

takisawa2

I had to return the returns form as I’d installed that incorrectly.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Had two BB’s fail in as many months, as someone said above, I “must have cross threaded them”, or “my frame needs re-facing”….. Just as well the Shimano one came with “auto-non-****-DIY-guy” function built in, and has lasted for ages. 😀

I have had other stuff from SS though, grips and pedals are superb, as is the wee chain guide gizmo that I fitted to my lads jump bike. I just wouldn’t buy a BB or headset from them. 😀

colournoise

Stuff I’ve bought from SS –

ISIS BB – totally fine.
    various lock-on grips and collars – excellent.
    Nano pedals – top kit for the money.
    anodised rotor bolts (I know…) – what it says on the tin.
    couple of Plasma chain devices and spares – not a problem with any of them.
    set of SS XC wheels on Switch hubs – only time I’ve ever needed to contact SS customer service as they didn’t ship with the 9mm QR adapters I ordered. Emailed them about the omission and the adapters were with me 2 days later no questions asked.

YMMV.

(my experience with SS has been as good (no better, no worse) than with any of the other online bike stuff retailers I’ve used)

slainte ➡ rob

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Bought one of the cheap sub zero wheelsets they were knocking out for £89 18 months ago, held up pretty well with minimal service and are now on my GF’s bike. Not the heaviest use but have been hassle free and are a very competitive weight compared to more expensive brands. No experience of customer service however as no issues with the wheels.

swampi
    Free Member

BB no better than any of the cheap ones out there, fitted my own bearings=much better, pads and rotors have been great and my last purchase was there £60 rear hub(switch i think), has done a year on my cross bike and hasn’t missed a beat,so I am happy with there stuff

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’ve bought a few different things off them and been really pleased. The xc430 wheels were a bargain and have been great as have the sintered break pads. Only one dodgy component so far but not sent that back yet.

dashed
    Free Member

SS pads – can’t go wrong, especially the kevlar ones.
    Pedals – impressed
    Rotors – cheap crap, not true, not round, loads of issues fitting (must have been me…). Shimano rotors installed in 5 mins, no probs (obviously shimano had made allowances for my mechanical incompetence).
    Brake adapters – just random dimensions and only allowed half the pad to contact rotor (yes, they were the right size!).
    6 weeks, many emails and several voicemails left before got rotors and brake adapters issue resolved, but when I did eventually speak to a real person they couldn’t have been more helpful.

dashed
    Free Member

Oh, and grips are great but wear out way too quickly…

Northwind

Mine has been up and down. They took the piss with my seatpost, and I don’t forget that, but they’ve done me good turns as well with free stuff (I broke my chain device through stupidity, emailed them to ask if I could buy a replacement, and they just gave me one for free- very good)

So, I use them but I don’t really trust them, inconsistency is the word. Or maybe unprofessionalism? They’re good when they feel like it and bad when they don’t, good shops are good even when they don’t feel like it.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…within half an hour had a confirmation email that my order had been dispatched

When this happened to me it meant my seatpost had left the postroom and gone to the workshop. It’d only been there for three weeks.

mtblegend
    Free Member

I have had really good experience with SSC gonna buy a custom wheelset soon

tony07
    Free Member

Do ss bb’s take standard bearings? Unlike shimano which have a lip?

Never had a problem with pads, grips or service

b45her
    Free Member

sooooo much brand bigotry on this forum, write chris king on superstars components and they would be praising them to high heaven.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Ordered the spacer and within half an hour had a confirmation email that my order had been dispatched.
    Thanks Superstar – top service!

Ordering stuff and then receiving it is pretty standard. I guess folk have low expectations of Superstar.

postierich
    Free Member

Nothing but praise for Superstar! I have had Carbon forks off them, 20 plus sets of pads, tools ,grips chain device all @ a fraction of the price of so called bigger brands.Prompt delivery and sweets what more do you want 🙂

allmountainventure
    Free Member

No problems with the seatpost and chain guide I got from them. Answered my emails about VAT numbers within a few days.

Tempted by the wheels I am. Anyone had their AM wheels?
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=74

sparkyrhino

yep got am490 wheel set ,run them for around 8 months, had plenty of abuse mud/crap neglect and still run true and smooth,very happy with them.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Got a pair of their discs on my SS and all well and straight seem good.
    Got one of the fruity early BB’s in ceramic and like everyone else died very soon after. Never tried their warranty for it after the stories of being told they havent screwed them in properly or using a billion zillion psi jetwashers on it by others. Never had any luck with the early brake pads which fell of the backs and never inspired to buy any more as there are other places who do pads which work for the same price without weird surprises. 🙄

superdan

I’ve been running the AM 490 rims (built up myself onto my ancient Pro-II hubs) on my Morewood Mbuzi and they have stood up to 18 months of Lake District abuse, and a week of being pasted in Lake Garda. For 20 quid an end, bang on, and lighter than the MTXs I was using before.

I have their DM stem on my DH bike, it hasen’t cracked and I haven’t died after a season of racing, so it seems good too.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I got stickers, with my disc pads!

So a positive experience from me as well.

Yay for stickers!

yossarian
    Free Member

I have had really good experience with SSC gonna buy a custom wheelset soon

Have you? Excellent. I must say its good skills for a first post to dig out a 9 month old thread. Well done me old fruit.

IanW
    Free Member

used there pads for a couple of years, all bikes, great prices, good delivery, good product.

AlasdairMc

Damn you yossarian, you beat me to it. 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

No problems with any of the sintered pads I’ve had off them. The general rule with superstar is don’t buy anything with bearings in.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, running their AM490 rims here, built by them onto their switch hubs.
    Front one could do with truing up, but that is due to me getting branch jammed through it.
    Their AM490 rims are re-badged Alex rims (says made by Alex on mine)
    They were 100% better (and a bit lighter) than the wheels they replaced on my Boardman.

I’d recommend them – there have been issues with build quality, but even if you factor-in an hours money for your LBS to run over them with a spoke key they are still killer value.

thejollybodger
    Free Member

I ordered some “in stock” pedals off their website yesterday… still awaiting a dispatch email. Will be interested to see how long it takes before I receive them.

I will buy more from their site if I get a good service… although we’ll see.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Things I have bought from Superstar:
    – Rim tape. Cheaper than Stans. Does the job.
    – Tubeless valves. Cheaper than Stans. Does the job.
    – Grips. No problems. Great price.
    – Pedals. Not for me (real bikers ride clipped in). The fake bikers I got them for love them.
    – Brake pads. Sintered are great. Price is excellent.

Next wheelset for the road bike will probably be from them too.

Delivery has always been spot on.

Didn’t get Haribo once. Sucked it up because I am a real biker.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Positive experiences with Superstar Components’ is closed to new replies.