Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Portable track pump??
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'm after a powerful yet portable pump which can get quite high pressure in a tyre with minimum ease – I have a track pump which does the job but is cumbersome to carry around and a small pump which is OK but doesn't get the pressure up to what I need so I could do with an inbetween pump.

Anyone got any suggestions? What have you found works?

If it helps I'm talking about getting something up to about 70-80PSI but ideally 100PSI with ease.

Cheers.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I guess this is close to what you want? Lezyne HVG

mickyfinn
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

yep zefal pump is king for a reason 😉

DezB
    Free Member

But then there's the Topeak Mountain Morph

nickjb
    Free Member

Recently got one of these. Works much like a track pump with a flip out foot plate.
    mountain morph
    Much, much easier to get up to pressure than my mini-pump, packs reasonably small. Not been up to 100 psi, yet, but it claims it will and I've no reason to doubt it.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I've got a Mountain Morph and it has a pressure gauge on it. Takes a few more pumps than a big stand up pump, but it gets pressures up to just where you want. Very good.

momentum
    Free Member

Get the road morph if you plan to go up to 100psi regularly cos that's what it's for. Streets ahead of any mini pump I've had and has got to 120psi pretty easily

PhilChap

I have a Mountain Morph but it a little past it's best after a hard life. I recently bought the Lezyne HV pump linked above and it's a great bit of kit, much prefer it to the Morph. Given the pressure you want to put in I would imagine the High Pressure road version may be a better choice though as it goes to 160 psi rather than 90.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I've got the Mountain Morph. Really good and so far reliable (carried every day guiding in the Alps this summer), but the lack of a smart head is a real pain in the t*ts. I bought it in a rush and forgot to check that, otherwise I'd have bought something else.

Less important if it's for personal use and you always run the same type of valve I guess, but be prepared for all your mates giving it "Oooh, can I use your posh pump?" every time they get a puncture…

Stu_N

For mountain bike, Mountain Morph. Mine died in action this morning after best part of 10 years service, the handle snapped off the piston inside and piston is jammed in the body so it's definitely the end (huge thanks to the bloke who lent me a pump on the Union Canal and saved me a 5km walk into work, by the way).

Looked at the Leynze HVG one and it looked really fiddly with lots of threads and stuff so I decided it wouldn't be as idiot proof and might struggle to use it with cold hands when the Puncture Fairy visits. By 1pm I had a new Mountain Morph. 🙂

On the road a nice long frame fit pump is the real deal – nothing else comes close and they don't weigh much at all.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Think I'm liking the look (and reviews / recommendations) for this baby

Lezyne Micro HPG

njee20
    Free Member

On the road, nothing beats CO2! I sometimes take a Topeak Rocket on longer rides just in case.

Actually… on the MTB CO2 is best anyway. Otherwise I think the Mountain Morph is an excellent piece of kit.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Don't know what it is as CO2 may be good but I'm not a fan of the concept.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

My Mountain Morph lasted me about 4 years. Then the non return valve failed. The valve is moulded permanently into the bottom plastic end of the pump and it totally not servicable. It got re-cycled into the metal bin a year ago. Other than that only other fault was I found the roll pin holding on the foot stand useed to work out.

Nice pump, very fast. I guess I got a reasonable life from it.

FuzzyWuzzy

I use a Mountain Morph when MTBing (Turbo version has the pressure gauge) and Road Morph when on the road bike (has a pressure gauge). The Road Morph gets a road tyre to about 90psi easily, a bit more effort required to get it to 110psi and then some face contortion and grunting to get it to 120psi (although 90psi is fine really).

That Zefal pump looks pants, rattly on the frame and no flexible head so higher risk of snapping the valve.

I almost bought the Lezyne micro floor pump but it looked a bit bulky for attaching to a road bike frame.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Have a Mountain Morph for MTBing and a Road one for commuting. Top pieces of kit. My mountain morph is now very battered, but still works fine (the one way valve did start leaking but it is possible to strip the pump down and clean/regrease them).

Funnily enough, every MTB guide I know carries a Mountain Morph as standard equipment as they spend a LOT of time blowing up other peoples tyres.

sheldona
    Free Member

My better half has the Leyzine pump, its quite large but ace 🙂
    You want to try it out Bushwacked??

Tim
    Free Member

Does anyone actually use the pressure gauge on a pump though when you get a puncture out and about?

I just pump away, squeeze the tyre a bit, realise thats jst about ok and i cant be arsed to pump anymore, and ride off 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Ayatollah – Sounds like an idea – but if I don't like it will you sentence me to 20yrs hard niche???

RepacK
    Free Member

LOL @ Bushwacked

sheldona
    Free Member

Indeed! but we'll have to change your bike first 🙂

crazy-legs

I much prefer CO2 cans for on-road but having a back up pump is pretty much essential. I've been putting off buying a new pump for ages – my mini pump works but is a bit rubbish.

Looks like a Mountain Morph will be finding its way into my shopping basket soon…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

changing my bike…. now that will be torture!!!

njee20
    Free Member

I much prefer CO2 cans for on-road but having a back up pump is pretty much essential.

Why? I've never had to use my mini pump in 8 years of carrying CO2! I take 2 pumps and 2 cannisters on long rides. I do usually carry a tiny pump, but frankly the number of tubes is more likely to be the limiting factor!

montylikesbeer

I to have a Mountain Morph and it lives in my pack, good bit of kit

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Portable track pump??’ is closed to new replies.