Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Poppies?
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Do you wear one? Don’t you wear one?

Just listening to radio 2 and a discussion on John Snow not wearing one on TV. The tv presenters seem to have them on from September.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I always give but I usually lose my poppy or have it on another coat/jacket etc.

But to me it is the giving that is more important than showing that I have given.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I wear one, but only on my ID neck card leash at work. Usually will work through at least two in a year, son always asks for one as well and wears it on his school uniform.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    carbon337
    Free Member

Its as if everyone on TV is forced to wear one – my mrs noticed the lovely Cheryl on xfactor wasn’t wearing one on Sunday night. The shock!

I dont really care if anyone on TV wears one or not.

U31
    Free Member

But to me it is the giving that is more important than showing that I have given.

pure gold, that statement!

I always wear one, i just havent got one just yet. I’m due a trip to the town centre this week so i will make a point of seeking one out

Pete
    Free Member

Yes. I wear one..

jp-t853

I’ve been wearing one for a week, I found it in my work drawer from last year.

I did make a donation on Friday though!

rkk01
    Free Member

No, but it’s fair to say that the logic for not doing so has long since expired…

My father’s family wouldn’t wear them when I was young. We come from an area with long established links with the military – Navy, RN Dockyard, Army. Even so, when I was grrowing up many people were bitter towards the British Legion. All their efforts were targetted at the WW2 veterans, with no thought spared for those who served in later conflicts. My father’s generation (locally) saw service in Korea, were uncountably outnumbered, and were then ignored when they got home.

I’ve got no reason to perpetuate such views, especially as the British Legion have long since moved on – but old habits etc

matthewjb
    Free Member

Always get one. Usually wear it.

Jon Snow’s point is valid. TV presenters get given them for free which seems to miss the point. And if you have to wear one how does wearing one indicate anything other than not wanting to offend Daily Mail readers.

I’ll be observing a few moments of quiet on the 11th.

rkk01
    Free Member

the lovely Cheryl

Euughhh 😯

cranberry
    Free Member

I’m glad to say that I have one this year as the shop at work is stocking them, other than there I don’t know of anywhere in The Hague where you can get them.

I always donate online though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Its as if everyone on TV is forced to wear one – my mrs noticed the lovely Cheryl on xfactor wasn’t wearing one on Sunday night. The shock!”

Thats because she wouldnt want to put a pin in her expensive (probably borrowed) dress/whatever she was wearing.

I hate the TV thing, every one wearing them is a bit cringe worthy, you can tell that they are just given them so they give out the right Daily Mail image.

I tend to put money in but don’t take the poppy.

hels
    Free Member

Mixed feelings about it in all honesty. For me it is ANZAC day, and I find all the young people attending the services at Gallipoli a bit discomforting. Yes honour the soldiers who died for us – but do you really need a rock concert too ??

I guess it depends on whether you think the Poppy symbolic or to stop charity collectors hassling you.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yes. I wear one. With pride.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find this an interesting and slightly difficult issue.

The way anyone on TV has to wear one or be castigated annoys me. This has grown over the years to the ridiculous levels it is at now.

I am also slightly disturbed by the adoption of this potent symbol of the first world war to encompass all military actions since – no matter how morally dubious. However to the squaddie with his legs blown off I don’t suppose the moral dubiousness for the conflict they were involved in makes much difference to the place they find themselves now.

The Haig fund is also from what I know an efficient charity – much or the money raised gets to the causes it is meant for – not much gets paid to staff. Then Haig himself was a figure of controversy – many hold him responsible for many deaths. Lions led by donkeys?

I am not naive enough to think that we can do without armed forces and I do know that there are people who gave their lives so I can live mine in freedom.

So – I dislike the pressure on those in the public eye to wear them, I have some moral qualms about the overall ethos – its a bit close to glorifying war to me, but no doubts at all about the value of the money raised and the good this does for individuals.. Sometimes I put my money in the pot, sometimes I don’t. I rarely wear a red poppy but I have worn a white poppy.

I will observe 11th November quietly to myself and I have always done so. I will remember the veterans I have looked after and I will never forget 11th November 1995. I was looking after a group of men many of whom had served and finally the trauma was coming out that day. I have tears welling up as I type this remembering them.

“lest we forget”

MrSparkle

I wear one every year as do my kids. I might not agree with wars but I am glad to do something to support the poor sods suffering after risking, or losing, their lives to support our liberty.
    I found this disgusting:

RustySpanner

Yes.

Nothing to do with politics, just as symbol of remembrance for those selfless individuals who gave their lives and continue to do so.

I visited the Tyne Cot cemetery, amongst others, a few years ago, whilst on a trip to Bruges.
    The thing that finally cracked me up was reading a memorial which, having summarized the short life of a very brave man, ended simply ‘I did my best. Please remember me’.

beamers

‘I did my best. Please remember me’.

And that in a nut-shell is what 11 Nov / Remembrance Sunday is all about.

We will remember them.

Cougar

Potato stained poppy?

Wut?

firestarter
    Free Member

Same here nick

iDave
    Free Member

i’d wear a white one if i could find any

U31
    Free Member

I dont wear it for peer pressure reasons TJ, i wear it because its the least i can do. I will remember what it stands for.

Lions led by donkeys?

Pish.

Scamper
    Free Member

Yes, i always give, but have not always remembered to wear my Poppy, but that has changed these days.

Visited the War Graves at Kanchanburi in the last 12 months. In amongst the tourist throng it was largely ignored, but once inside a very peaceful, respectful and modest place evidently revered by the local people. Afterwards felt very uncomfortable visisting the tourist trap at the bridge and we only stayed for 30 seconds.

RustySpanner

White Poppies?
    Because remembrance Sunday is all about you and your views, isn’t it? 🙄

Wearing a red poppy doesn’t mean you hate Palestinians.
    It doesn’t mean you agree with war.
    It doesn’t mean you personally sank the Belgrano.
    It doesn’t mean ANYTHING political.
    It doesn’t mean you read the Daily Mail.

It just shows that you remember the sacrifices made by others.
    It’s an act of respect.

iDave
    Free Member

RustySpanner – White poppies are to show respect for everyone who has died in wars, not just the military

miketually
    Free Member

Wearing a white poppy shows that you remember the sacrifices made by others. It’s an act of respect.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

iDave – that isn’t quite correct…

The White Poppy symbolises the belief that there are better ways to resolve conflicts than killing strangers. Our work, primarily educational, draws attention to many of our social values and habits which make continuing violence a likely outcome.
    From economic reliance on arms sales (Britain is the world’s second largest arms exporter) to maintaining manifestly useless nuclear weapons Britain contributes significantly to international instability. The outcome of the recent military adventures highlights their ineffectiveness in today’s complex world.
    Now 89 years after the end of the ‘war to end all wars’ we still have a long way to go to put an end to a social institution, which in the last decade alone killed over 10 million children.

iDave
    Free Member

M_F – that sounds reasonable enough to me…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I just took it from the White Poppy Appeal link TJ posted above 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner -= the problem is that the red poppy has become distorted in its meaning over the decades and can be seen to be a bit jingoistic and glorifying war.

Read the whole of my post to see my comments on that in context tho please.

I will observe 11th November quietly to myself and I have always done so. I will remember the veterans I have looked after and I will never forget 11th November 1995. I was looking after a group of men many of whom had served and finally the trauma was coming out that day. I have tears welling up as I type this remembering them.

“lest we forget”

Junkyard
    Free Member

what TJ said and Mr Sparkle there was thread on that
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-low-can-some-people-go

I have been to the battlefields of WW1 and seen the size,scale and sheer number of graves and graveyards, seen row upon row of crosses, listened to the last post in Ypres after reading some of the names of those who passed through the gate – it has to be seen to believe the number that died and even as a moody 16 year old not one of us was not moved to tears by listening to that bugle. Still upsets me now to think of that day. Personally it made me think that wars is just a waste of human lives on all sides. I used to wear a white poppy but the abuse you get means it is not worth it IMHO I dont wear a poppy these days. I will observe and honour and show respect on the 11/11 I always do but mainly I will feel sad at the utter waste of human life.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

D’oh.. PC playing up..

MrSparkle

Junkyard – sorry, hadn’t seen that.

RustySpanner

Mike, Dave, TJ.

I respect your views.
    I stand by my post on the subject, which I now wish I hadn’t written BTW – because arguing about this subject on here feels disrespectful. And sadly, that’s what will happen, no matter how good our intentions.
    I’d much rather discuss it face to face over a pint sometime.

Come Sunday, I’m sure we’ll all be remembering in our own ways.

Regards,
    Pete.

JonR
    Free Member

I wear one every year as do my kids. I might not agree with wars but I am glad to do something to support the poor sods suffering after risking, or losing, their lives to support our liberty.
    I found this disgusting:

As did I, if I were to eat indian food with my poppy on I would be sure not to get any potato stains on it.

miketually
    Free Member

Mike, Dave, TJ.

I respect your views.
    I stand by my post on the subject, but arguing about this subject on here feels disrespectful to me, for some reason.
    I’d much rather discuss it face to face over a pint sometime.

Come Sunday, I’m sure we’ll all be remembering in our own ways.

I’ll be wearing a red poppy, but can see the appeal of the white.

There was a letter in the papers recently from veterans arguing that the poppy appeal has become rather too showbiz (boybands at the launch, a range of merchandise, ‘clever’ advertising, etc) and seeming to focus on supporting current wars, rather than remembering the fallen in all wars.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes not the best title for that thread

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and seeming to focus on supporting current wars, rather than remembering the fallen in all wars.

I assume this is so the less informed realise the appeal is not just for veterans of the World Wars, but for all wars/conflicts.

RustySpanner

Mike,

I’m sure cynicism has always been a factor – human nature would seem to indicate that things couldn’t be otherwise.

However, some things transcend their original purpose and take on a higher meaning.
    I think remembrance day is still one of them. I hope it continues to be so.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

Mike, Dave, TJ.

I respect your views.
    I stand by my post on the subject, which I now wish I hadn’t written BTW – because arguing about this subject on here feels disrespectful. And sadly, that’s what will happen, no matter how good our intentions.

I’ll agree with that. I thought long and hard before posting at all.

An argument about it is disrespectful. As I put in my post the the squaddie with his legs blown off moral hairsplitting and posturing is irrelevant. The money from the fund is not irrelevant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Poppies?’ is closed to new replies.