• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jag61.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Poor quality rantette…..
  • stumpy01

Took the day off to get on with some decorating. Did a final coat of emulsion on the wall and set to peeling the masking tape off the ceiling edge and the woodwork. GAH! It’s pulled all the painstakingly applied paint off the ceiling, so i now have to do that again.

Drove to B&Q to get some bits and return some bits. Get stuck in traffic, the girl at the returns counter took an age to process my returns and then on the way home I realised i forgot to get some wallpaper scissors….but theres a local hardware shop that should still be open…

Pull into car park near home to drop some clothes off at the charity shop and a woman reverses into my car hard enough to shunt it back about a foot while i have my hand on the horn and then proceeds to drive off (fairly swiftly). I chase after her and she eventually stops after much tooting and flashing of lights. She gets out with a look of complete surprise asking whether she hit me as she didn’t feel anything (so why did she think she had hit me?) and then told me she thought she’d hit the kerb…..

The delay in sorting this mess out meant that the hardware shop where i wanted to get the forgotten wallpaper scissors from was just closed as i got to it!

Pretty minor stuff in the scheme of things, but bloody hell it has put me in a right mood…sorry, poor rant I know!

Jamie
    Free Member

Real men cut in.

flip
    Free Member

Made me giggle 😛

cloudnine
    Free Member

Was she fit?

stumpy01

Jamie, never happy with the edges I end up with if I don’t mask it off. Never been an issue before, but I used different tape this time (Diall stuff from B&Q).
    Perhaps pop round and show me how it’s done! 🙂

Flip. Pleased it gave you a smile.

cloudnine…nope, not in the slightest. Late 50s and a bit haughty.

jekkyl

you left the masking tape on too long

bigyinn
    Free Member

FFS that’s a bit shit. I can’t believe people just drive off like that.

Actually, these days I can.

juanking

If you do forget the tape and leave it too long use a hairdrier to warm up the adhesive so it comes off easy.

Stoner
    Free Member

Its not the masking tape at fault.

You really need to scrub and clean (sugar soap) the bit of wall that you are going to paint and then mask.

Not just sugar soap swill about with a sponge girlie fashion, but get it REALLY clean, so the new paint is absolutely bonded to the old before you pull the tape away.

stumpy01

jekkyl, juanking and Stoner – nope…done it loads of times before and never had a problem. Used cheap masking tape from various shops and frogtape too; never had this happen. Left it on for days and days previously if need be.

This tape was Diall stuff from b&q – blue in colour and i did think it was a bit strong when applying it. My wife looked on the b&q website and there are several bad reviews saying it happened to them too.

Here:
    http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/decorating-tools-and-supplies/glue-tape-adhesives-sealants/tape/-specificproducttype-masking_tape/B-and-Q-Professional-Masking-Tapes-4-Pack-25m-10549000?skuId=11039532#ancBVReviewsContainer

Bought some frog tape to do any more masking with.

biggyinn…she paused, then went. In hindsight, i reckon she thought she had reversed into the parked car (empty) next to me and decided she’d make a quick exit.
    There’s some scuffs on my bumper and it’s bulged slightly where the mounts are pushing through it. Will decide tomorrow whether to just leave it, or get a quote from Chips Away and see how much for a repair. She said she’d be willing to stump up for any repair. It’s a well used 03 Ibiza, so probably wouldn’t bother myself if i’d knocked into a post or something. But she hit my car, has scuffed it up and the fact she drove off has irked me!

Jamie
    Free Member

Blue masking tape?

This truly is the future!*

*Of shit masking tape.

sandwicheater

Wallpaper scissors? Well every days a school day.

Kryton57

You got the wrong blue masking tape. Mines still on the floor under the skirting after I applied undercoat today, and will be fine when I remove it after applying the top coat tomorrow.

jag61

press fresh tape onto jeans etc before applying to surface, not so sticky then

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Poor quality rantette…..’ is closed to new replies.