Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • "Poor English" rant
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

This is an extract from an email I've just received from Egg:

If this amend was genuine and made by you, you don't need to do anything. However, if you didn't instigate this amend, please call us on 08451 xxx xxx quoting 'Move Money Alert' and we'll investigate further.

"Amend" is a **** verb. Why does the business world feel the need to bastardise the English language to make itself sound important or clever?

(I'll award myself 0/10 for not following the usual rant protocols)

psychle
    Free Member

sure it's a genuine email?

IA

Call them up and tell them you didn't make an "amend" you made an amendment?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

It's genuine as I changed some card details on my account a few minutes earlier.

IA – I might just do that (or perhaps I should just go ride my bike ;o)

deluded
    Free Member

What could they do to make amends?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

What could they do to make amends?

😀

I feel that writing off my current credit card balance is the least they can do to rightify the wronged.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Poor would suggest that the communication is incoherent or inefficient. I suspect you meant "improper" or "incorrect".:)

julianwilson
    Free Member

Evolution of the language, innit? 'Podium' has now become a verb as well as a noun, if that makes the er, wrongness feel a bit more balanced.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

As and English rant, I would agree that it is poor as is your use of punctuation.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

WCA, there is nothing wrong with my punctuation. You may, however, want to have a closer look at your contribution to the debate.

😀

Jahwomble – "improper" is better. I've been out-pedanted!

HTTP404
    Free Member

As and English rant, I would agree that it is poor, as is your use of punctuation.
    🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Where dat Mark Datz at, innit? Mandem tell dem peeps all 'bout use langwidge.

TheSanityAssassin

Word.

jahwomble
    Free Member

I try:)

CountZero

I usually assume that sort of poor grammar is an indicator of a phishing e-mail. It seems I'll have to revise that assumption. I blame the parents.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘"Poor English" rant’ is closed to new replies.