Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Poolewe – Scotland. Route ideas
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Anyone out there know of any routes that go from Poolewe? I am camped there tonight and want to take the MTB out tomorrow without driving anywhere. Rumour is there is singletrack above Loch Maree?

Any help this evening mucho appreciated.

druidh
    Free Member
    jimw
    Free Member

I can second that- cracking place to go. I actually like the spur that he turned back from out to the north end of Fionn loch- not as spectacular riding but a great view at the end of it.

DavidB
    Free Member

Thanks druidh. Does this look right Tracklogs route

druidh
    Free Member

Perfect. Just watch for the turn-off into the forest – you need to go through a gate.

Please report back on what you thought of the track. I’d love to know if it was just me that was so impressed by it 🙂

DavidB
    Free Member

If you don’t hear in the next few days..please come and get me. 90 miles over the Bealach-na-Ba today will make tomorrow’s ride a “sedatefest”

jimw
    Free Member

As you climb out of Kernsary farm, you pass through some oak trees then the first conifer plantation on the RIGHT is where the gate is, just before it starts getting really quite steep. As druidh says, if you keep on climbing up the 4×4 track and see conifers on the LEFT, you have gone too far!

DavidB
    Free Member

You BEAUTY druidh. That was a perfect ride for me. Completely devoid of people, amazing scenery and really great riding, I even enjoyed fixing my tubeless tyre after miscalculating a water break bunny hop.

I cannot recommend this ride highly enough. In fact I’m going to look hard at the map and see if some sort of epic loop can be constructed around it.

druidh
    Free Member

No need to think too hard. Keep heading past the bothy, up over the watershed and you eventually come out at Dundonnel. Head SE from there and you pass another bothy and you’re at the West end of the Fannaichs.

Also – see posts by robgarrioch and 13thfloormonk for other rides involving this piece of track.

So glad you enjoyed it though. I was worried you’d be cursing me for sending you this way.

DavidB
    Free Member

How could anyone not enjoy riding in that area! The only curse was the 10 feet of shingle (what tyres for shingle?) and a few little minces ..mainly because I was on my own and didn’t want to do me or the bike any damage.

13thfloormonk

Ha, as soon as you see the loch, and the causeway across it on the map, its impossible to resist! Much good riding on that same track, cross the causeway, take the steep loose climb up to the bealach above it, fantastic high level traverse in amongst some great hills, big steep but entirely rideable descent to Strath na Sealga, bothy at Shenavall,marvel at An Tealach, big fast loose landy descent to Dundonell, road back to Poolewe.

No idea what the mileage would be. Tough, to put it mildly! 8)

convert

Just thought I’d drag up this older post…

I dabble here every now and again and note there seems to be a lot of ringing of hands and gnashing of teeth with the bickering of late. But threads like this make this such a great place to visit every now and and then.

I’m off to visit my olds on Saturday for a week up at their gaff in the highlands. Dad’s terminally ill so it’s a little tough at times. Half way through the week we thought they would need a break from us (and us from them!) so borrowing their van and heading for Poolewe. A quick search and I find this little gem (and the thread that it links to) and hey presto I’ve got a ride route sorted! Thanks to the Op and Druidh for the info.

Here’s to some good weather!

DavidB
    Free Member

convert..you’ll bloody love it even if the weather is shite. Sit on the causeway with a sarnie, look up into the hills and think of your Dad. Let me know if you want the gpx file and I’ll dig it out

convert

Thanks David. I’m just sorting a memory map file but I’ll come back if I fail! Looking forward to it.

anjs
    Free Member

HAve done that walk in to the botthy at the Causeway on a late may evening as the sun was setting and it would rank as one of the best walk ins I have ever done. The remotness is something else

robgarrioch

In the spirit of tacking some distance onto this route, and being too late, one from last year – Loch Maree etc.

Excellent get-away-from-it-all route.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Poolewe – Scotland. Route ideas’ is closed to new replies.