Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • pompino owner questions
  • OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Looking at getting one of these as a bargain commute/winter bike – the drop bar version appeals.

Sizing I am not sure about, thinking a medium as I may ride some cross on it? or should I go large?… I’m 5’10” with a 31″ inside leg?

Also, colour? hard to see in on-one’s pics… racing green looks cool, brown – maybe too retro, the new glow in dark green (due soon) could be an odd choice – what looks best – owner opinions sought!

markenduro
    Free Member

It’s got to be white:

09072010516 by markenduro, on Flickr

Large should be ok for you but you are pretty much between sizes so either would be ok. Go for the pompetamine version with discs, a set of BB7s will make it extremely low maintenence.

stanley

Just under 5’10” here, with a 32″ inside leg. I went for a large (back in 2006). Medium would definitely be too small for me. GF rides a large Kaffenback too; she is a bit shorter than me.
    Near Stockport if you wanted to try for size.

DavidB
    Free Member

markenduro, is there a rear caliper on that bike?

Del

i’m same height as you and flogged a large pomp cos i could never get comfortable on it.

epicyclo

Same height etc. I went for XL – rides nicely and the compact geometry makes sure nothing valuable to me gets compacted.

markenduro
    Free Member

David, no at the time the photo was taken, this was part way through the build.
    It now looks like this but with a brooks saddle and cane creek brake levers:

07112010106 by markenduro, on Flickr

firestarter
    Free Member

I’m Five ten and ride a large

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and ride a medium which has never really made me happy.

ski
    Free Member

Just to give you a comparison OC with firestarters this was my medium pompino, which I used to commute on for two years or so, I am 5-10 too & as you can see had the saddle well back on the rails!

Would love to get another one, but a large next time 😉

still, a bikes I regret selling.

[edit] I asume the frame sizing have not altered with the new batch?

Nick

I’m 5’11 and ride a large, sat on a friend’s medium and it was way too small.

Good bike, just giving it the once over before it does it’s first 20 mile ew commute of the year this week.

toby1

I’d love to add something to this, sadly the bike I was billed for on 17/12 is still just a dream to me as the frame is still ‘in-transit’. Note to self, don’t trust the stock level on the on-one website. Yeah, loving the factI paid for it well over a month before they even had it as you can imagine, no hint of an apology either.

But I’m 5’10 and went for a large as you’ll want to be out of the pedals hammering it for all it’s worth 90% of the time I reckon.

samuri
    Free Member

5’11” here, large. I rode around quite happily on an XL for ages thiugh

placid_casual
    Free Member

5’11.75″ and I ride large pompinos and kaffenbacks:

golden brown by placid casual, on Flickr

velo-orange fenders by placid casual, on Flickr

yet more light painting by placid casual, on Flickr

mark 2 kaffenback by placid casual, on Flickr

markenduro
    Free Member

Like the look of the mk2 kaffenback, is that a prototype?

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Sounds like Large for me… like the pics!

cynic-al
    Free Member

ME – yup, he’s testing it. REplaceable dropouts IIRC

ChrisB
    Free Member

Go for a Large. I’m 6ft4 and ride an XL:

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Placid casual – what chain set is fitted to the mark 2 kaffenback? And where can I get one??

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks like an old Stronglight or maybe some one is making a fixie style new copy?

Back to Pompino owners…anyone toured on one (see what did there?) with 4 panniers…is it stiff enough?

epicyclo

cynic-al – Member
    Looks like an old Stronglight or maybe some one is making a fixie style new copy?

It might be a replica. On-One were selling these – Gimondi track crankset so maybe they’re doing a dual ring version.

Quite nice but needs a proper drilled chainring to complete the look 🙂

Seeing as they are updating the Pompino, it’d be nice if they left enough room to squeeze in a set of Big Apples. Make it a 29er for the road.

toby1

So in their defense Planet-X have contacted me directly following this post.

I will also be hanging some Velo Orange hammered guards off my pomp as above.

It’s going to be sweet!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seeing as they are updating the Pompino

You mean the Kaffenback?

Roblilly
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ I ride a large and its perfect! (in blue)

Stoner
    Free Member

anyone toured on one (see what did there?) with 4 panniers

yer mad.
    🙂

STATO
    Free Member

I did a ride with 2 full/heavy rear panniers on my pomp, it was a bit of a slog, 2 more wouldnt be much worse (based on geared touring experience) but youd need a low gear as you cant move the bike about under you with that much weight and it’ll soon get to your legs.

AdamML
    Free Member

I’ve done light touring on my Pompino (a Carradice SQR not four panniers) and it was fine.

In fact the Pompino is the only bike I ever ride…

cynic-al
    Free Member

STATO the issue for me is frame flex.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘pompino owner questions’ is closed to new replies.