Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pompino and sturmey archer
  • Had
    Free Member

I need some advice on fitting a sturmey archer to my pompino.

The rear spacing is 120mm. Does anyone know what 3 speed hub and shifter I need (i've got drops if that makes a difference) and where I can get them Do I need to weld extra cable stops on?

Cheers for any advice

ctznsmith
    Free Member

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/

Knock yourself out…S-RF3 (only lists axle length and not OLD though) and SLS30 in some form as a bar end or down tube shifter. Don't think think there is an STI method.

No idea on cable stops.

EDIT: If you click specification gives the OLD dimensions for the varying axle lengths.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There was a pic on here last week with seatstay mounted SA lever.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-me-your-steel-road-bikes

epicyclo

Smooth & silent by epicyclo, on Flickr

I have rigged up a cable stop along the seatstay. If you look at the larger pic on Flickr you'll see how it's set up.

The S-A is a perfect match for the Pompino.

CraigW
    Free Member

You could get a Sturmey Archer S3X for a 3-speed fixed…
    Though it's not cheap.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

There was a pic on here last week with seatstay mounted SA lever.

Mine! At least it's memorable.

It's an old AW hub. There's plenty available on ebay in 28 and 36 hole versions. A 110mm should work ok if you flex the stays a little. You could always space out the cones a bit, although there's not that much extra room.
    The lever and cable are supplied by Raleigh, and I got some new cones from SJS cycles.
    Hope that helps!

epicyclo

The current model S-A 3 speed is a better hub than the old AW.

I reckon they work better than the old version.

It is also not expensive, available in 28 or 36 hole, and fits the Pompino dropouts.

That said, if you happen to have an AW to hand and you know its history, go for it. Bear in mind some of them will have 40-50,000 miles under their belt. The parts are available and quite cheap, but it's hard to find someone who knows how to rebuild them properly.

The S-A trigger shifter will fit on a road handlebar.

Stoner
    Free Member

I fitted An AW3 with a longer axle into my 120mm pompino once a few years ago. seat stay shufter as above. lots of online resources on how to service SA hubs. great contraptions to tinker with.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pompino and sturmey archer’ is closed to new replies.